It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2004, 08:52 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

kaybee HB User
Need advice, please

Gosh I wish dh was computer literate!!

Please tell me what you think. Dh is getting absolutely no relief with physical therapy. He's had 3 sessions now and is hurting more than ever and can't even follow through with the home exercise program.

How long do you think he should continue before pulling the plug on his therapy? Should he be feeling some relief by now? The facet injections didn't work, either. He doesn't follow up with his neurosurgeon until November 15th. Is it possible that the physical therapy could actually be detrimental to his other back problems? One more question: should he just go back to the pain management center and tell them he's not getting better?

Thanks!

Old 10-18-2004, 09:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User
Re: Need advice, please

three sessions isn't quite enough to know if PT will help. What he needs to do is talk to his therapist. I have been to PT four times:three for back one for broken leg. The only PT that worked for me was after surgery. I went two times: once in 2001 before surgery and this year four months ago. Now, neither session helped, but I stuck with a month of PT. HE REALLY NEEDS to talk to his therapist. The therapist can adjust the exercises. Later down the road, if PT really does not help-then go back to dr. Good luck to you and your hubby!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2004, 10:01 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User
Re: Need advice, please

I agree... it takes a while (much longer than 3 sessions) for PT to show signs of success.

My inclincation would be to ask for some testing (MRI etc). In my opinion, the tests send a patient in the right direction and save time. Is this an option?

I think the problem with pain is that we all tend to be impatient. We also forget (or don't even realize) that the cause for the pain didn't happen overnight.

I recommend keeping in good communication with your doctor and continue to ask for options.

Closed Thread