It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2004, 02:07 PM   #1
(female)

memawhurts HB User
TxHunni, AlSmith, Jenna's mom and other well wishers.

Thanks you guys for your encouragement and well wishes before my surgery. It really meant a lot. I had my surgery on 9/20 and am just now feeling up to posting and it's being done from the bed on my laptop.

TxHunni,
My surgery tale was so similar to yours I just had to tell you about it. I had my fusion revision done on 9/20 and like you I had a dural tear from cleaning out the old scar tissue. Fortunately it was only one though. I had to lie flt on my back for 2 days ( thank goodness it wasn't the 5 days you had to endure). Of course my life might have been a little easier if it had been 5 days, who knows. I was discharged on 9/24. I was feeling great. Up walking around all over the place with very little pain, although I did still have and have now, some pain and numbness in my left leg, but other than that, life was good.

The day after I got home, I also like you, got thrush in my mouth and a yeast infection from the antibiotics. Fortunately for me the diflucan did help, but I lost 7 pounds myself before it did. Some of the reason for the weight loss though is in the next phase of recovery.

I was scheduled for my 1st checkup with the Dr. on Tues. 9/28, 8 days postop, but on the day before my appointment I got a tremendous spinal headache. It was so very painful. I've had a kidney stone before and have always said I haven't experienced anything as painful, including childbirth, but this actually beat out the kidney stone. The day of my Dr. appt. my husband called and told them I couldn't come because I couldn't even raise my head off the pillow. He called me in a Rx for fiorcet and told me to lie flat again (such fun, but I couldn't do anything else anyway. The headaches continued and when I moved I would get nauseous and vomit. By Sat. 10/2 I couldn't stand the pain anymore, my husband said I was hallucinating and talking out of my head. I was dehydrated by this point. My sister was here and like myself she is a nurse. She called the Dr. and told him what kind of shape I was in. He told her to bring me to the ER immediately.

As I said before I couldn't raise my head it was so painful, so somehow my sister and her husband and my husband got me into a kitchen chair, tilted it back and carried me to the car and laid the seat all way back and we were on our way. Of course the hospital and my Dr. are a little over an hour away, so it was a wonderful trip. lol. Actually, I don't remember much about it. I don't have much memory of the 1st 2 weeks post-op. Did anyone else have this problem, by the way?

The ER was so busy I laid on a stretcher in the hallway for over an hour and then was readmitted to the hospital. I stayed in the hospital this time from Sat 10/2 until Tues 10/3. They rehydrated me and I was still having the spinal headache but it was some better, so my neuro gave me the option of staying or going home. The only way I could go was to go by ambulance so I could remain flat on my back. I chose to go home. He gave me a Rx for a steroid (Medrol) and it did the trick. A few days after I got home the headache was completely gone.

Also like you, my walker is my new best friend, and like you I would love to know what I should be able to do at this point in my recovery. After all this, I'm just still so very weak that just a few steps wears me out. If I'm thinking right, you had your surgery 10 days before me, so could you please let me know how you are progressing and what you are able to do. I have my 1st appt. Thursday and would really like to know if I should be doing more before I go in.

I really hope you are doing well and I apologize for how long this is. I just enjoyed your post so much when you told of your saga, I thought I might feel better if I told mine.

Best of wishes, memaw

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2004, 05:06 PM   #2
Veteran

AlSmith HB User
Re: TxHunni, AlSmith, Jenna's mom and other well wishers.

Memawhurts, I have been wondering how things went for you. I am sorry you have had such difficulty. It seems like things never go quite according to plan. Hopefully you have now put the hard part behind you and can start getting better. As for your next step, take care of yourself and try to build some strength. Don't worry about walking alot, just do what you can and you will be amazed at how quickly you will be walking farther. I set little goals for myself each day, like walk around the living room 5 times. The next day I would try to make it 6 times. Soon I was walking around my block and kept going from there.

Take good care of yourself and just take things at your own pace. Thanks for updating us. I have been worried and I am glad that you are feeling a little better.

Alan

Old 10-18-2004, 06:03 PM   #3
(female)

memawhurts HB User

Thanks Alan,
You always know the perfect thing to say and have such a positive attitude. You are truely an inspiration to me and to others, I'm sure.

I hope you are feeling well.
Memaw

Old 10-18-2004, 06:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User

MEMAAAWWW!!!! You're BACK!!!! And Boy! What an ordeal you've been through.

I know the weakness you're feeling. I'll preach it again.. BE PATIENT. It will come!

I am feeling great. Some days just good (today is one of those days). Went to the drug store and dropped my keys while in line and about came unglued. A nice lady picked them up for me. I think because she hated seeing my tears. HA.

One thing I've learned is that no one will tell you where you should be at any marking point... 1 week, 4 weeks, 2 months, etc. And I now know that is because we all progress at different rates. I quit trying to keep pace with the super-healers. HA. I couldn't keep pace with them before my illness days, why would I keep pace with them now, right?
I think it's important to just look for your own accomplishment in each day. Even your bad days... just look for something that was good in the whole day.
(Yes, I dropped keys in line, but hey, I actually STOOD in line today). When you do this, it will keep your attitude up and your progress will improve at a rapid pace.

By the way.. .with your numbness and pain in your leg are you getting those awful zingers. I'm beginning to think I'm the only one in the world being zapped by these blankety blank things.

Keep posting. I'm glad you're back!!!
Hunni

Old 10-18-2004, 07:26 PM   #5
(female)

memawhurts HB User

Hunni,

It's wonderful to hear you are doing so well. I know you are right about everyone progressing at a different rate , but wouldn't it be nice to just have some kind of idea of where we should be. I'm still using my walker and as I said earlier, I have my 1st checkup thursday, and I'm concerned the Dr. may be upset that I am still using it. He never mentioned I should even be using one. The PT at the hospital got it for me. If I thought he was going to be upset about it, I would probably leave it home and just lean on my hubby a little more. LOL.

As for the zingers, if you are talking about the shooting pains, yes I still have those too. I think it's great you were able to go to the drugstore. I haven't even considered leaving the house yet. My appt. will be my 1st outing, except for the trips to the hospital.

Best wishes for continued improvement.
Memaw

Old 10-18-2004, 08:15 PM   #6
Veteran

AlSmith HB User

Hunni, dropping your keys, boy that one was familiar. I had to laugh when I saw that. I remember dropping things and wondering how I was going to get them. The worst was when I dropped my grabber. I learned to pick it up with my toes. There might be something to that Evolution thing becuase I think I may be part monkey.

Hope everyone has a pain free, good sleep night.

Alan

Old 10-18-2004, 08:22 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User

Memaw....
You'll feel like a new person just in getting out going to the doctor. I even pushed myself to go to lunch afterward...just for a change of scenery. Of course it took me two days to recouperate afterward HA HA. Remember... it's the little accomplishments we measure right now. The big ones will come later.

Re: the walker. Don't feel bad. Only feel bad if you're depending on it - using it as a crutch. If you actually NEEEEED it, it's nothing to feel bad about. Have you tried putzing around the house with the cane? I took my walker to my first doctor's visit too. (At that point my doctor was just glad to see me upright as he had never seen me that way before). The next visit (had an impromptu visit to cover a couple other issues) I was with cane and he was happy to see the transition. I think your doctor might ask if you're using the walker out of need or security. They're easy to get hooked to, but as for me, I am just too vain and didn't want it any longer than I had to. I figure I have plenty of walker years ahead of me, I don't need to add to them now HA. (Heck, I didn't even want the raised potty seat and no one but me would have even known I had it HA HA)
My doctor never mentioned the walker either. It was the PT in the hospital who asked why I didn't have one. I used it for a couple weeks and now it's stored in the attic. I do use my cane still though. It's a stylin' one. All paisley and cool.

Good Luck on Thurs.
Hunni

Old 10-18-2004, 08:25 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User

HAHAHAHA. I've had the anxiety attack over the dropped grabber. I firmly believe it's best to have 2 grabbers. One just in case you have to pick up your dropped one. Hee Hee. And yes, when I dropped my keys, I did kinda stare at them for what was probably only a couple seconds but seemed like a few minutes thinking.... what the heck am I gonna do now. Thank goodness for cell phones. I could have always called DH to come pick them up for me. He would have loved that (rolling eyes)

Old 10-19-2004, 01:10 PM   #9
(female)

memawhurts HB User

Hunni,
You had a good idea treating yourself to lunch while you were out for your appt. I'm having a pretty good day today and if it holds up until thursday I may just follow your lead and try the same.

You know I don't even have a cane to try. I never even thought about getting one but maybe I should, because for days like today, I could have probably made it around with just a cane. But one thing is for sure, I don't know how you made it without a raised potty seat. I couldn't go (literally) without mine. My toilet is so low it's hard to get to for a "normal" person. LOL.

The incident with dropping your keys made me laugh too. I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time and I know I would have been in panic mode also.

And Alan, I'm with you, I'm part monkey too. I've always been able to use my toes to pick things up, but the grabber sure has made things a lot easier.

Thanks guys for always being there for a pick-me-up.

Old 10-19-2004, 01:52 PM   #10

momofchris HB User

I just had to add a story to dropping stuff. It was the day after my surgery and the nurse put me in a chair and gave me my call bell, phone and morphine pump. Right away I dropped my morphine pump and in my panic dropped my call bell. I started to yell for help but noone came. I had to call my husband at home to tell him to call the nurses station to come and help me!! I was so upset the nurse brought my grabber and I have it near me all the time now..

Old 10-20-2004, 01:16 PM   #11
(female)

memawhurts HB User

momofchris,
That one gave me a good laugh. It's kinda scary that noone came when you yelled though.

Just today I took a trip to the bathroom, and because with my last surgery I actually passed out on the toilet and couldn't get myself back up, I always carry the phone with me now. Well, needless to say I dropped it, but like AlSmith, I was able to pick it back up with my toes. But you know in all seriousness, it really can be a scary thing sometimes.

Memaw

Old 10-20-2004, 09:56 PM   #12

TAZMZN HB User

Hello TXHUNNI,

Wow, it sounds as you have had a crazy recovery!

I am glad to knjow that you got out and started living life again...

I just wanted to wish you the best and tell you that you are in my thoughts!

I am doing well, I am 4 months post op L5-S1 TILF Post / Fusion. My doctor tells me that I am recovering nicely and he can see that I am fusing fast. He might release me at my 5 month mark.

Again, I wish you the best!

Take care,

TAZ

Old 10-24-2004, 01:02 PM   #13
(female)

memawhurts HB User

TxHunni,

Just wanted to let you know that again you were right. It felt wonderful just putting on some makeup, doing my hair, (though it took a lot of extra time and effort to do) and just getting out of the house for a while to go to may appt. Doc says everything looks good and he wants me to try to do a little walking now. I told him 20-30 steps wears me out now and he said just walk until you get tired and build up gradually. He said eventually he wants me walking 1-2 miles, 1-2 times a day. Heck I couldn't do that before surgery. LOL.

Didn't get to try the lunch part after though. His office is 1 hour and 15 minutes away, so the round trip pretty much wore me out. And also like you, I have been paying for the trip for the last couple of days, but I'm finally starting to feel somewhat human again.

Just wanted to give you an update and thank you for the encouragement.

Thanks again,
Memaw

Last edited by memawhurts; 10-24-2004 at 01:03 PM.

Closed Thread