They can't force you to do the epidurals. They can only strongly suggest. You would think that they would do them right away. WC is horrible to work with. My husband refused his and went on to surgery. Since they know that you will need surgery sooner or later, and if you decide that is what you want to do, push them for it.
They are right about the rupture. I believe that they will approve the IDET if you push for it. I have seen where they have approved it for others.
So, you are ruptured and not herniated? Or, is it the same thing? I have seen it called the same thing. Is it on the nerve? The last thing that you want is to have calcification on the nerve.
What is your exact diagnosis? Which disc?
My husband tried to put off surgery as long as possible but ended up needing it anyway. He was fused, cervical. If he had known back when it happened that the arm pain would disappear as soon as surgery was over, he would have had the surgery much sooner. You have to weigh what you want in the end.
Are they offering you the steroid shot or a pain block shot?
Right now, if you are looking at a ruptured disc that is leaking stuff on the nerve or impinging on the nerve, then what you really need is to get it off of the nerve. I would skip the shots and shoot for surgery. With WC, they have so many cases that you have to really hound them and stay on top of them. Keep telling your worker that you want to be fixed. Persistence will be your mode until it is done.
Good luck. You are going to need luck and dilligence.