It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2004, 05:43 PM   #1
(male)

tracer HB User
Question wc finally approved epidurils

its been 3 months since my rupture and wc finnaly approved epidurel shots but first appt for shot is another month im worried about it makeing it worse since i have problems from my legs due to the rupture being aginst my root nerve i have read at many sites that if rupture has irratated the nerve enough that there is a risk of the ennert ingredients in the shots calcifieing on the root and causeing perment nerve pain has anyone had this happen and what r the risk,the doctor stated that this was requried by wc he did not say it was the best approch,and i just want to be better not worse i am at the point that i cant walk good now and limp i dont want to make matters worse,my lawyer said that there is no cure for a ruptured disc just a surgericial correction,if and when the rupture gets to that point and if i get relief from shots it will not last sooner or later i will need surgery since i have such a large rupture 8 mm.can anyone that has been through this pls post ur thoghts ty.excuess my grammer pls.

Old 10-18-2004, 05:59 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User
Re: wc finally approved epidurils

Tracer,
They can't force you to do the epidurals. They can only strongly suggest. You would think that they would do them right away. WC is horrible to work with. My husband refused his and went on to surgery. Since they know that you will need surgery sooner or later, and if you decide that is what you want to do, push them for it.

They are right about the rupture. I believe that they will approve the IDET if you push for it. I have seen where they have approved it for others.

So, you are ruptured and not herniated? Or, is it the same thing? I have seen it called the same thing. Is it on the nerve? The last thing that you want is to have calcification on the nerve.

What is your exact diagnosis? Which disc?

My husband tried to put off surgery as long as possible but ended up needing it anyway. He was fused, cervical. If he had known back when it happened that the arm pain would disappear as soon as surgery was over, he would have had the surgery much sooner. You have to weigh what you want in the end.

Are they offering you the steroid shot or a pain block shot?

Right now, if you are looking at a ruptured disc that is leaking stuff on the nerve or impinging on the nerve, then what you really need is to get it off of the nerve. I would skip the shots and shoot for surgery. With WC, they have so many cases that you have to really hound them and stay on top of them. Keep telling your worker that you want to be fixed. Persistence will be your mode until it is done.

Good luck. You are going to need luck and dilligence.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2004, 08:58 PM   #3
(male)

tracer HB User

yes betty it is on nerve and causes me much problems and pain with my right leg buttock and lower back from what i have read a rupture and herniated disc r close to the same it is located at S1-L5 my lawyer is not involved yet beccause he says i need to get to a point where i am back at work if possible before he gets involved because i am now on ttd and the first thing the ic will do is stop my checks until i get a wc bord aproved apeal whitch is a long process

Old 10-18-2004, 09:12 PM   #4
Veteran

AlSmith HB User

If I remember you had either an L5,S1 or L4,L5 disc problem. I had a rupture at L5,S1. I had two ESI's, one worked for a while and the other did nothing. You may get some relief but try to not let them change your status to MMI. I think that stands for Maximum Medical Improvement. They may say that since you have relief, you are well enough to return to work and close your case.

As for the difference between rupture and herniation, there is a difference. When a disc is ruptured, the outer covering is broken open. One or more pieces of disc can break off. In my case, two pieces of disc broke off and were pressing on my nerve root. Surgery was the only way I was going to get better.

Tracer, sometimes the ESI can be used as a diagnostic tool. Hopefully this will be one step in getting better. Good luck!

Alan

Closed Thread