It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2004, 09:54 PM   #1

ch04 HB User
all mixed up op only 2days aways

Well

Just came back from seeing my surg yesterday re pre op exam!!
I go in wed for my l5 s1 fusion

Came away all mixed up !!!

I now thay have to give you informed concent , but i felt he was trying 2 talk me out of it

Yes my pain and ach has changed ,
but he kept going on about not being to help with any leg pain ,he did say that the pain in my back would more or less go

When I asked about aching ,he said could.nt say !!!

Please can some one talk 2 me

Chris

Old 10-18-2004, 11:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User
Re: all mixed up op only 2days aways

what is your body telling you? What do you expect to happen from surgery and are you prepared to have pain either be the same or worse afterwards? Do you have a plan if you have more or equal pain? What are your long term goals? If you choose not to have surgery, can you still meet them?
These are all questions I ask myself and I answer myself too. My body tells me I need intervention, more than injections and meds. I expect to have less pain, but understand I may have more, if so, I will fully go into PM and try anything possible. Long term, I want to travel, maybe have kids and return to school. If I don't have intervention, I cannot do any of those things (but I know if the surgery is not successful, I won't be able to do them anyway. To me though, it is worth the risk).
I hope some of this was able to help you out, and if you have any other questions or just wanna talk, I am here quite a bit.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2004, 12:02 AM   #3

ch04 HB User

thks 4 your word

yes i now what you are saying
i do have goals i have 2 young kids , and have alreadyed over the last 2 years messed out big time

Pain
welll i know it may go and i know it may now , im just scraed !!!!

supoort

my wife is great i know she is with me

i guss i know what i need to do

Chris

Old 10-19-2004, 12:11 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

it is totally up to you. we should be so blessed to have spouses who are so supportive. I bet she just wants to see you pain free as my hubby does. It is hard for them, but hard for us too. I am only 26 and have a lot of life to live still. Sometimes I feel 80 and that isn't right. I shouldn't have to deal with this. Now, I have had surgery already at L5-S1 (micro) two years ago, and did well. I went back to work and that is why I am here now. I have a bulge at C5-6, as well as spondy and a pinched nerve. I have DDD and bulges at L4-5 and L5-S1. I will be having a discogram and my dr and I have discussed the two level lumbar fusion AS WELL as cervical fusion/or micro. How is that for scary? Three levels-now that is a lot. I am still not sure what I am going to do. Part of me says go for all three, and part of me says just do lumbar and try other stuff on the neck. But, if I wait too long, then my goals for next year get pushed back again, and I can't have that (want to return to school). So, I could do all three and then if one or all don't work I will just have to try something else. It is confusing and I understand how you feel. I am not scared of surgery, but I have had five (only one on back though) all but one required hospital stay. Plus, I work in healthcare, so I am used to all the medical stuff (but boy do I love those hospital beds-may have to get myself the kind where you can adjust the knees and head )
Well, I wish you well and I am sure you will make the best decision for you.

Old 10-19-2004, 12:44 AM   #5

ch04 HB User

thank u mel

i will keep u posted after i get out

chris

thanks for chating this morning i needed to speak with somone

Old 10-19-2004, 06:00 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

Chris2310:
Their hands are tied. They can't say for sure where your pain will be. That is why it is entirely up to you. It is like jumping off of a cliff and hoping that there is a safety net. It is scary.

good luck,

Old 10-19-2004, 06:06 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

beachgirl01 HB User

Hi Chris,
I agree with injured betty. But I just wanted to tell you that whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best of luck. I hope all goes well if you go through with your surgery. Kepp us updated. Good luck and take care. Kristy.

Old 10-19-2004, 06:35 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User
Wink Re: all mixed up op only 2days aways

I am so sorry about your confusion. All I can tell you is my experience and what my Dr. told me. Prior to surgery, I was told that surgery was only suggested if there was leg pain. When I got to that point, he told me the pro's/cons and then left the decision up to me. When I decided to have surgery, I wrote down all my questions, as I thought of them, and then I faxed the list to my Dr. and asked him to call me when he had some time to answer my questions. He did and told me to call him if I came up w/ other questions. (Maybe you could do the same) I did have the fusion 8 wks. ago. The leg pain is completely gone. I do still have some back pain if I over do it. The Dr. said he is expecting me to recover to 80% of what I was, prior to falling. I hope you get the answers you need. Let us know if you have specific questions re. surgery and back problems.

Lorie

Old 10-20-2004, 09:53 AM   #9

carrie.s HB User
Smile Re: all mixed up op only 2days aways

Hey I'm new here too. I just signed up today.. I know exactly how you feel.. I will see my surgeon on Nov 11 to decide when I'll have the surgery..(L4-S1 fusion-TLIF) This is so hard to decide... Im only 30 but I've had 3 microdiscectomies (all on the left side)in the last 2 years and I just herniated the right side of L4/L5 in early Sept.. They're telling me that it's up to me about the fusion, but how do I decide??

Last edited by carrie.s; 10-20-2004 at 09:56 AM.

Old 10-20-2004, 10:08 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

mlachowicz HB User

Chris:
I wanted to wish you luck, and tell you to follow your heart. You will make the best decision for yourself! Keep us posted!
~M~

Old 10-20-2004, 10:11 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

zoey1 HB User

its normal to be up and down and even for docs to say we think it may help you , but not address all parts of the pain

but be prepared that pain, even bad pain ,can last a few months after surgery and or other things may present themsevles and you may not be ready to experaince yet

what procdures are you getting? are you getting donated plates?

what type of plan do you have set up for after care? did you read the post surgery tips and have things laid out for afterwords?

take one moment at a time, take your meds expect ups and downs from bathroom troubles, to more then expected pain, to roller coaster emotions, to resenting all the things you cannot do for a while,

also remember there is a chance it will get lots better but just may take a bit of time getting to that point

our good thoughts go with you during this time, including our well wishes for the time to feel better lasting longer and longer moments

Old 10-20-2004, 01:47 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

this post is a few days old, I wonder if he chose to go ahead with the surgery or not. Guess it will be a bit til we know.

Old 02-19-2005, 11:16 AM   #13

ch04 HB User
Re: all mixed up op only 2days aways/ update 02-05

Hi all

Yes

I had it on Oct 18th last year

Just surfing and noticed this old thread and thought I would up date you all !!

Its going well VERY well I think .
I went through Hell But I came out the other side ( with a few bits of metel and 2 very nice war scares LOL

Im still warking Every day ( YOU MUST ) I feel much better after .
And Im swiming now as well

cut back on all my pain meds now but still have to come off them all
Im trying very hard .

Any way If any one is reading this who is waiting for a Fusion I wd say this
" its hell but you do come out the other side "

I did

Dont get me wrong , I have to be very carfull and I know when I have done to much , But I feel I have life back on the right road

Love and God Bless to you all

Chris from the UK

L5S1 360 PLIF Fusion using cages and srews OCT 2004
due to very bad DDD and prolaped
2 years of pain

Old 02-19-2005, 11:47 AM   #14
(female)

Better Late HB User

Chris, I'm glad everything went well and you are recovering so well! I am new to the boards and am having anterior and posterior fusions (L4-5 and L5-S1) in 11 days. I am a 54y/o female with history of hip and leg pain for 16 months. I tried injections, PT (twice), rest and am on Tylenol#3, Ultracet, and Zanaflex at present. I took Lortab at beginning but it makes me hallucinate, itch and loopey, and doesn't completely relieve the pain. The meds I take now don't completely relieve pain either, but I can function at least. Is 360 the same as anterior/posterior fusion? Mine will be done 2 days apart.

Thanks for any info you can give.

Old 02-19-2005, 02:51 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

so glad to hear from you chris! I had my lumbar fusion and man, it is hell isn't it? but so glad I did it! I had a 360 lumbar interbody fusion at L4-5 and L5-S1 on December 15 and am faring well. My neck pain is getting worse again, so now we have to fix that, but won't have any surgical intervention at this time. I will avoid that at all costs. I hope things continue to go well for you. I started a surgery success thread, would love for you to post on there. HOpe you come around some more!

Closed Thread