It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2004, 01:44 PM   #1

eyemitalian HB User
Trigger Point Injection

I am scheduled to have this done tomorrow. Can anyone who has had it done tell me if it worked?

Ciao

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2004, 07:13 AM   #2

Periwinkle Liz HB User
Re: Trigger Point Injection

Hi Cia,
I had a herniated disc at c5-c6 and had trigger point injections every week from July to September with no relief. Anesthesiologist was sure that this would help me but it only gave me better range of motion and no relief of pain. Often it would make my pain more unbearable than it already was, kind of like he was irritating something inside. They say that everyone is different and that it does work on some people. Good luck to you

Liz

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2004, 07:11 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

Trigger Point injections and Prolotherapy work on the same concept as accupuncture. Are they using anything in the needle?

Old 10-25-2004, 07:24 PM   #4

Periwinkle Liz HB User

Not sure if you are asking me or Ciao. They used an anesthetic in my trigger point injections. After having all of them done with no relief he felt that I had nerves being pinched by the disc. Needless to say, I already knew that from the nerve conduction study that a neurologist had done back in April. The anesthesiologist wanted to do and epidural block and I had had it with being poked and trying everything under the sun to get rid of the pain and to avoid surgery. I recently had an ACDF with plate and donor bone on Oct 12. I am hoping that this eventually will put an end to all of the pain that I have been dealing with now for 8 long months. What is Prolotherapy? Please excuse me for I am new to this board.

Thanks a bunch,
Liz

Old 10-25-2004, 07:41 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

There is a lot of info on the net regarding Prolo. They stick needles in the back, in the same area that they would do accupunture or trigger point injections but they use sugar water and a light pain killer. It is supposed to re-injured the ligaments and cause them to tighten back up. It is really painful because their purpose is to cause inflammation. Mine worked, but now I am too tight on one side. They overtightened me.

Old 02-28-2005, 05:19 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

Hi All... Saw my pain management doctor today... or the PA actually, she ask me the typical questions, then had me stand up and bend forward, and backward, then had me turn and face the wall and put my hands on it as if I were in a push up position, but only standing, and had me apply light pressure to the wall, then she proceeded to push on my back, down my spine, and then around my scar from my surgery, and then the outer area around it, and told me to let her know when it hurt, so when she would hit a tender area I would of course squeal...when she touched a couple places she said that I had some huge knots there... and told me I may be a good canidate for "Trigger Point Injections" she then explained it to me..... said they would... drape me, clean me really well, then mark the spots where they felt knots, and then they would spray this really cold stuff on me to freeze the area temporarily, then they would inject me with much the same stuff that they injected me with during my ESI's....she told me that the purpose of it was to give me a better range of motion, that I should notice a big difference in my ability to move and bend... but just because I might be able to do that... NOT for me to think I can go out and mow the yard... LOL! but she hasnt scheduled me for them yet... maybe wait until after my next appointment which is March 28.....

Is this supposed to help my back, hip and leg pain? My PM Doc and my Neuro have told me my pain is comming from my S1 nerve.....Do these injections hurt?

Thanks Alot!

Old 02-28-2005, 08:22 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

Trigger point injections are basically a fancy name for ESI's. The stuff that they spray to numb the spots is Lidocaine.

It will pretty much feel the same way as the other shots did.

They are steroid shots. It should take down any inflammation that you might have that is stopping motion.

If the pain is coming from your S1 nerve, is that your sciatic nerve? Or is the sciatic nerve effected by the S1/L5?

I would hold off on the shots unless you really can't live without them. Those steroid shots are just not good for you.

If you decide to get them, for sure, ask for some Versad first. It really helps with the pain, or forgetting about the pain.

When I had trigger point shots, they went to the bone. It definetely hurt.

We all have different pain tolerances though.

Old 02-28-2005, 09:40 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

[QUOTE=injured betty]Trigger point injections are basically a fancy name for ESI's. The stuff that they spray to numb the spots is Lidocaine.

It will pretty much feel the same way as the other shots did.

They are steroid shots. It should take down any inflammation that you might have that is stopping motion.

If the pain is coming from your S1 nerve, is that your sciatic nerve? Or is the sciatic nerve effected by the S1/L5?

I would hold off on the shots unless you really can't live without them. Those steroid shots are just not good for you.

If you decide to get them, for sure, ask for some Versad first. It really helps with the pain, or forgetting about the pain.

When I had trigger point shots, they went to the bone. It definetely hurt.

We all have different pain tolerances though.

[/QUOTE]

My Pain Management Doc and My Neurosurgeon both said that my pain severe chronic radiculopathy, or sciatic pain, is comming from damage to my S1 nerve... which is the Sacral Nerve... and that is what is causing my Sciatic Pain, numbness, tingling, burning etc... in my buttock, back of my thigh, calf, and my foot..

So basically when she told me that the trigger point injections would help me get a better range of motion, after she had me bend and such... and I can not bend to far forward, backward, or side to side...... the injections would hopefully help that..... but it isn't really for the severe chronic radiculopathy or sciatic pain that I am getting from the damage to my S1 Nerve Root ( Sacral Nerve) L5-S1... Correct?

Thanks so much for your response...

Take Care

Closed Thread