It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2004, 05:32 AM   #1

GB79 HB User
Request Information

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the thread and I want to thank you all for sharing your experiences. Now here's mine.

I'm a 25 year old male, 3 months postop microd (L5-S1). For about 7 months my life has changed. I used to visit the gym on a regular basis and now I am just trying to get back to work.

My leg pain (left) is almost totally gone. I usd to have pain in my foot, calf, hamstring and knee and butt. However, the only pain I feel now is above my left buttock and the pain is the same as it was way before all the other pain began. My question is, can anyone relate to this? If so, should I be concerned that all the old pain will return???

Also, there has been a snapping feeling in the same location when I get up or raise my leg. No pain but it snaps. All your replies would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
GB

Old 10-20-2004, 05:55 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

mlachowicz HB User
Re: Request Information

Welcome GB!

You've come to the right place! I too am 3 months post op microd L4 thru S1. I would give your Dr. a call ~ even if it is normal Post - Op pain, it is better to be safe then sorry.
Good Luck!
~M~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2004, 06:14 AM   #3

GB79 HB User

Thanks Mal,

You know, sometimes I'm scared to call my doctor. I feel like I'm being a baby about this whole thing. I saw hime about 3 weeks ago and he was more concerned about my leg than my back.

If this pain gets worse I will definately call him.

GB

Old 10-20-2004, 06:31 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

mlachowicz HB User

GB
Honestly, I would not wait until it gets worse. Call him, that's what he is there for. You are not being a baby! Good Luck!
~M~

Old 10-20-2004, 07:18 PM   #5

Ribarb47 HB User

Hi~
You stated that your Dr is concerned about your leg and you're concerned about your left back area. It probably runs on the same nerve pathway.
What you feel as "pain" in one area may be showing up as "snapping" in another.

I'm not a Dr. But, you know your own body, and you know when something's not right.

I had a Discectomy 5 years ago and about 6 weeks after surgery, in PT, my nerve pain started to return. I have since reruptured my disc. My ortho wanted to do fusion. He told me it was that or live in pain. I've been in pain management for over 2 years, but I'm still in pain 24/7.

Be careful with your back. See your Dr about your back pain. Take things slowly. Those nerves are pesky little guys.

Barbara

Old 10-24-2004, 09:31 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SpinalMalady HB UserSpinalMalady HB User
Smile Re: Request Information

Hi GB:

Take the others advice, because the leg pain can get much worse. I have a ruptured disk at L5 that is sitting on the root of the S1 nerve. Don't have much if any low back pain, my pain is all in my leg and buttock (right). The pain started as what I would call leg cramps, then moved into charlie horses, then charlie horses on steriods that never went away. As I understand it, (and I'm no doctor so I could be wrong) but if the pain from the nerve continues for long periods untreated it can become permanent. (Is that right??? I'm a newbie too) I'm using Vax-d treatments and on Monday will have my 7th out of 20 treatment. My leg pain (especially in my thigh and butt) is down from a 9-10 to a 5-6. I can now walk (mostly) upright. Before I was VERY bent over like a 90 year old woman....I hurt terribly when I sneeze or cough in the thigh area.....I don't know if this treatment will work, but I did know I didn't want Surgery to be my FIRST option.

Good luck to you. Sending positive thoughts and wellness vibes your way!

Becky

Old 10-24-2004, 10:50 AM   #7

neil40 HB User

hi gb79
i'm also new to this and have had similar op to you i have had l5 l4 and s1 fused i had interbody cages and pedicle screws and rods i think what you say about your pain that it has eased from before your op if you do feel relief
from what i understand from my neurosurgeon if you feel benefit after your op
then it is likely that you have been successfull and will always benefit i unfortunately had bad experience and got much worse now live on morphine hope you stay well and do get back to work neil

Closed Thread