It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2004, 06:37 AM   #1
Veteran

Kamden HB User
Does anybody know my prognosis?

Hi, I am going to the doc soon but in the meantime, had laminectomy 4 years ago at L 4-5, was told at that time that i also had DDD and spinal stenosis. For the last 4 years, I have never been back to normal, standing long, sitting, bending, lifting all aggravate my back. I went shopping and was up and walking way too long, I believe I have re-herniated, I have all the symptoms. What I am wondering is, is there anything that can be done with all this wrong with me? From what I am reading, and from my own experience with one surgery, surgery doesn't cure, just helps for a few years, then another area seems to start having problems. What is everybody's opinion? Please don't hold back be honest, I know alot about my condition and already know surgery will probably be suggested again, but I am not sure if I want to go through another more extensive one, only to have more problems down the road again. Thankyou for your help. any help is fine

Old 10-21-2004, 08:23 AM   #2
Inactive

mspsub HB User
Re: Does anybody know my prognosis?

Hi,

Sorry to hear that you are having so much pain again. I am glad that you are going to see a Dr to get started on a healing process.

I thought that I'd respond to you comment/question:

[I]"..is there anything that can be done with all this wrong with me? From what I am reading, and from my own experience with one surgery, surgery doesn't cure, just helps for a few years, then another area seems to start having problems. What is everybody's opinion?"[/I]

I had a MicroDiscectomy on June 26th 2003 and it took a long time (6 months) for me to heal to the point that I could drop all meds (including Bextra). I believe that the surgery resolved my pain, but it is up to me to "cure" the problem or at the least prevent further problems. In speaking with my PT I have learned that many people do not realize that they need to continue to exercise and strengthen the back for the rest of their lives. He believes than many recurrent back problems could have been prevented by proper exercise and proper mechanics when using backs (lifting, bending, etc). This makes logical sense to me. Now this does not mean that there are people who have taken care of their bodies and still had problems. Every person's situation is different.

I have had relapses with back pain, but it usually happens when I "over do" it in combination with slacking on my stretches and exercises.

My surgeon did a great job in resolving my problem, but failed to educate me as to what I needed to do after the surgery (not just the weeks following, but for life). I guess that my Dr feels it is up to the PT to do that.

Hope this helps,

Mark

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2004, 08:35 AM   #3
Veteran

Kamden HB User

Hi Mark, thanks for your reply, that makes perfect sense to me too. Keeping the back strong and in shape does help, I know from years ago. I cannot exercise any more, because i can't stand long, walk long, bend much etc. without bring on more problems, boy am I tired of this. But I do believe in what you say, because years ago when i could walk and do more, I had less problems. I wish I could do anything right now, I cannot seem to do anything any more without my back acting up. I appreciate your imput and will remember this when and if I have to have surgery again.

Old 10-21-2004, 09:42 AM   #4
Inactive

mspsub HB User

I have a book that discusses how we can strengthen our core without much effort. I do not have it with me, but I'll try to remember to get the info. It is called "Spinal Stabalization: ... ". It is based on an Australian Therapy. It is very interesting, informative and I think that it may help you in your situation.

Old 10-21-2004, 09:49 AM   #5
Veteran

Kamden HB User

Thanks, I need all the help I can get!

Closed Thread