It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2004, 09:39 PM   #1

lennedian HB User
Question Painful back stiffness, just sitting?

Hello,

Exactly a year ago I herniated my L4-5 disc (7mm disc extrusion), I was scheduled for a micro-d as the herniation had caused 'foot drop'. I was put on steroids for 2 weeks before the surgery and thankfully pain subsided, I cancelled the surgery and I got better foot and all. But....now.... pain is back; right in the middle of my lower back and my back stiffens after only 10 minutes of sitting. I have good range of motion and no pain to walk, just sitting but the transition into a stand is painful. If I continue to sit thru the pain, the pain travels to the hips and the front of my thighs (left and right) to my knees. I have scheduled appt with a neuro but does anyone have any idea what this could be? Just wondering if anyone after herniation has felt this?

Thanks so much

Old 10-21-2004, 10:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User
Re: Painful back stiffness, just sitting?

I have that, my pain not only goes through butt and legs but up my back to between my shoulder blades. I have three small bulges (two low back one neck). I did have a micro two years ago but reherniated that disc, and my pain returned.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2004, 02:10 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User
Wink Re: Painful back stiffness, just sitting?

I feel your pain...I was Dx. with: DDD, herniated disks, Sciatica and spinal stenosis. I don't know which of these things affected me sitting, but something did. Sitting became the biggest problem I had, w/ pain going down outter thighs and butt. I will say that since my fusion surgery, I have been able to sit a bit longer. (about 45 mins. now) Ortho. said to use sitting as an excercise. He said to sit for the amount of time possible and when pain begins to get up and walk around. Then sit a little more. 4 wks after surgery I could only sit 5-10 mins. and now I am almost up to an hr.

I hope you start feeling better,

Lorie

Old 10-22-2004, 05:09 PM   #4

lennedian HB User

Thanks for the input and support. This just suddenly came on unprovoked, so I'm hoping it will go away, but this is week three, I think its getting better or at least I'm trying to convince myself that it is. I'm taking it one day at a time. Thanks again for your post!

Old 10-22-2004, 07:23 PM   #5

PaulaZ HB User

My herniation was also at L4-L5 and going from a sitting to a standing position was excrutiating. I also had the pain in my hip, butt and thigh...also down into my calf and foot. I had the micro-d on June 2nd, but unfortunately have reherniated. I had complete relief of pain after surgery. I could walk again...woo, hoo!

In the meantime, I am trying to walk, walk, walk to avoid another surgery at all costs. The pain has subsided in the last few weeks so we shall see, but I am still in some level of pain all the time and sitting is the worst!

Have you been to PT yet? It made me worse, but it does help some people.
Steroids are great, huh? Too bad they have such horrible side effects.

Good luck and I hope you can find some relief without needing surgery.

Old 10-22-2004, 10:52 PM   #6

lennedian HB User

I have not tried PT, I know I should, I've read books on exercises to do for herniated disks and I try to do them but I should get these exercises confirmed thru a Dr. as I may be doing more harm than good. Surgery is my ultimate last option and the only reason I'm goint to a neuro is because I'm the kind of person that needs to know exactly why I have pain. After your surgery, how long did you remain pain-free before your reherniation? The steroids worked great for me, the ortho I was seeing would only prescribe it for a 2 week period, but in my case it worked wonders no noticeable side effects the foot drop took longer to recover from. I'm also thinking about trying acupuncture never tried it, just hear it helps cope w/the pain.

Hope your pain-free soon!

Old 10-22-2004, 11:26 PM   #7

blue2angels HB User

I have spinal problems as well. "my lower spine is now replaced with titanum disc's" i lived with the pain for many years and seen many drs who just gave out pain meds like there was no tomorrow. I would advise surgery under a good nero surgeon, i am now able to walk,run and most of all live!! i am only 32 and have two kids, my disc problem was due to arthritis

Closed Thread