It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2004, 11:03 PM   #1
(female)

texasmary HB User
Question Ride home from hospital?

I would appreciate any feedback on what to expect on a ride home from the hospital following extensive lower back surgery with hardware. I live in a rural area about 1.5 hours from the hospital in Dallas where my surgery is scheduled (if we don't run into traffic jams). Do you think they will tell me I have to lie down? Do you think I can sit up for that long? Friends have offered my husband the use of a van so that I can lie down, but I think my car rides smoother than the van. However, my car sits down pretty low and might be difficult to get into. My surgeons have not given me lots of details on post-op, probably because they don't know exactly what they are going to have to do. I have been getting such good advice from so many on this message board... and I truly thank you!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2004, 11:18 PM   #2
Veteran

AlSmith HB User
Re: Ride home from hospital?

Mary, most likely your doctor is not going to want you to sit for that long. I would say the van would be the better choice. My sister had a fusion with hardware about 3 weeks ago and she had a similar situation. She had a 2.5 hour ride home. She also had a friend loan her husband a van to ride home and she was glad to have it. I wish you the best and hope everything goes well for you.

Alan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2004, 11:45 PM   #3
(female)

texasmary HB User

Al, do you happen to know how they did the van? Did they put a pallet down?

Thanks again,
Mary

Old 10-22-2004, 12:20 AM   #4

islebe HB User

my ride home was almost an hour and i lied down the seat of my wifes rav4 and tried to hold on for life. I could feel every time she shifted gears, and i thought for sure she hit every hole or bump on the highway. we stopped at a walmart to pick up my scripts before making it home, she left me in the car, and i jus lay there, dazed and barely awake, just waiting to finish the trip.
word of advice, wear your brace and take drugs before you get in the car for the ride home. it's just one of the many obstacles you'll face on your road to recovery.

Old 10-22-2004, 09:11 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Terri43 HB User

My worry about my trip home from the hospital is all the speed bumps( from hell ) in our appartment complex. they kill my back now. any good ideas about speed bumps and the trip home?

Old 10-22-2004, 11:21 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User
Wink Re: Ride home from hospital?

I had my surgery in Dallas , We live about 1.5 hrs away with Traffic, My husband brought the Suburband and I rode home in the front seat. The higher the car the better, so you do not have to bend.
Good Luck

Old 10-22-2004, 12:44 PM   #7
(female)

memawhurts HB User

I made 2 trips home after surgery (had to be readmitted). The 1st trip home was in our dodge caravan. No problem with it and it's a hour and 15 minute trip. But the 2nd trip home was in an ambulance ( had to lie flat, spinal headache) and it was awful. I think they hit every bump they could find.

Old 10-22-2004, 12:51 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

[QUOTE=texasmary]I would appreciate any feedback on what to expect on a ride home from the hospital following extensive lower back surgery with hardware. I live in a rural area about 1.5 hours from the hospital in Dallas where my surgery is scheduled (if we don't run into traffic jams). Do you think they will tell me I have to lie down? Do you think I can sit up for that long? Friends have offered my husband the use of a van so that I can lie down, but I think my car rides smoother than the van. However, my car sits down pretty low and might be difficult to get into. My surgeons have not given me lots of details on post-op, probably because they don't know exactly what they are going to have to do. I have been getting such good advice from so many on this message board... and I truly thank you!![/QUOTE]

I can pretty much tell you the doctor is not going to want you to sit for that long.... I only had approx a 20 min ride home from the hospital after I had my Laminectomy/discectomy back in June.... and the doctor told me he either wanted me to lay in the back seat or recline the front seat... So I reclined the front seat and rode home that way... we have a Ford Explorer....so it wasnt bad getting in and out of....and the seat reclined almost flat..... My doctor told me that sitting is the worst possible thing you can do... it puts approx 50 extra pounds of pressure on those vertebra and discs.....keep in mind the lower the car is the rougher the ride will be as well, and all the bumps you hit are gonna smart.......like someone said about the speed bumps... those are terrible ....I wanna hold my breath everytime we go over one...... anyway I hope things turn out well for you... and Good Luck with your surgery......Take Care......

April

Old 10-22-2004, 03:28 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User
Wink Re: Ride home from hospital?

I had someone pick me up in an explorer and I sat in the front seat. The drive was an hr. and the driver was very careful around turns and bumps. I took meds. before leaving the hospital and I truly was fine. I did hold myself as still as possible going around turns etc. but the worst was the speed bumps in apt. complex. I don't know if there is anything you can do except go very very slowly and hold yourself steady in your seat.

Good luck and God Bless,

Lorie

Old 10-22-2004, 08:27 PM   #10
Veteran

AlSmith HB User

Mary, I don't know how my sister did it. I will call her tomorrow and find out. I had a micro-d 9 weeks ago and two days after, I rode to get dinner with my brother. He has a pick up truck and it was very uncomfrotable. Reclining the front seat with a pillow under your back may be an option as well. Sitting would really be tough for as long as your ride is. Any way you can find to be reclined would be better. I will try and post tomorrow how my sister did it. Best wishes.

Alan

Old 10-22-2004, 08:42 PM   #11

PaulaZ HB User

I rode 20 minutes in my husband's truck and that was long enough!

I would suggest either reclining or lying in the back seat if possible. Sitting will be tough for that long.

I'm getting ready to ride 1400 miles in the next few days and I'm not looking forward to it. Trying to prepare as well as possible.

Good luck with your ride.....I'm sure you'll do fine.

Paula

Old 10-23-2004, 01:53 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User

Mary, I am in Dallas too... and live northwest of where the surgery was.. so we had to do the Geo Bush Frwy and 35. I worried, like you about the trip home and I'm here to tell you the trip TO the hospital was by far worse than the trip home. I made it home just fine. Remember, You'll still have lots of drugs in you on the way home. You won't be driving. My nurses did everything they could to make me comfortable - even sent me home with a pillow. I recommend having one in the car/truck waiting for you. Even a bottle of water to sip along the way. Your bed will feel so good when you get there. It might not be as bad as you're anticipating.
Hunni

Closed Thread