It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2004, 02:14 PM   #1

debbie1 HB User
discectomy/laminotomy post-op

Well I just had a laminotomy/discectomy yesterday and am home today. I'm very sore, the doc is putting meon oxycodone and valium. He said he had to make the incision bigger than normal so he could decompress...will have to get back to you on that one. But he said it was pretty bad, even though towards the end I was showing hardly any pain. I was informed that what he did could speed up the process of the DDD, but will be looking into weight loss surgery as it may help.
Well I just wanted to thank everyone who wished me luck and had me in their thoughts. I do appreciate it so much, I'll keep ya updated on my progress.

Old 10-22-2004, 08:35 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

mlachowicz HB User
Re: discectomy/laminotomy post-op

Welcome Back!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2004, 08:58 AM   #3
Veteran

AlSmith HB User

Debbie, I am glad you are home and on the road to feeling better. I can relate to the surgery being tougher than they planned the same thing happened to me. What ever you do, don't push yourself too hard right now. Just try to walk a little around the house in small doses. Once the meds they used in the surgery wears off, your back will be pretty sore, but I thought is was nice to have a different kind of pain for a change.

Right now, don't be afraid to pamper yourself a little. You need to keep a positive attitude and treating yourself like a queen for a while will help you keep that attitude. Keep us informed and if you have any questions, please post them.

Alan

Old 10-23-2004, 12:12 PM   #4

debbie1 HB User

I was soo frustrated and cried last night as i was having troubles keeping the pillow between my knees or under them. I have my mom here to help me, thank the lord for such a wonderful person.
How long does the pain last? How long before I can go up the stairs without any pain?
I am d*****ately taking the walking very slowly as when i walk my knees are slightly bent cause of the soreness.

Old 10-25-2004, 04:37 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

mlachowicz HB User

Gosh Debbie, Don't be so hard on yourself! You're only a few days post op! Give yourself a break, and LISTEN to your body! I know how tough it is not to be able to jump up & go, but I promise that in time the pain WILL begin to subside, & you'll see yourself doing more & more! For me, I started feeling a little better by the mid of the 2nd week. Everyone is different though. Take it slow, the last thing you need is a re-herniation! Good Luck, and vent all you need!
~M~
PS: Give your Mom a great BIG hug & kiss! ---

Old 10-25-2004, 07:00 PM   #6

debbie1 HB User

"Gosh Debbie, Don't be so hard on yourself!"

I went into this surgery totally prepared, so I dont know what hit me!!

Old 10-25-2004, 08:54 PM   #7

islebe HB User

Recovery is tough. I too went in totally prepared for the surgery, but did not put any thought into the recovery, besides the fact i would not have to go to work for a while. I was so worried about the surgery and all i never relaized the surgery was just one step to being well.
Now, almost two weeks after my surgery october 11, i have been humbled by my body. I have learned that the road to recovery is tough, but worth it.
From first having to deal with the initial soreness of having the surgery done,to dealing with the day by day aching and pains, as my body slwly fixes itself.
Debbie, you'll be okay, you'll have good days and bad days, but everything will be okay. You just have to believe in yourself, and take good care, not to bend lift or twist. It's hard at first, and can be depressing. You just have to work past that, and when you notice your old pains are gone, it is all worthwhile. While you did not have a fusion, you still had surgery on your back, which is a major part of your body, and the center of your person.
I spent four days in the hospital after my surgery and wheni got home i feltfree, even though the reality hit me quick, between immobility and pain medicine, i had to struggle with learning to live.
Just be strong, take care of your body, and know that what you are going through now will change your life once you are up and about.
Days after my surgery, all i could do what sit there and think, why did i do this? To me, the part after the surgery was worse then the pain i suffered before going through surgery. I held strong and now that i have started healing, i see how worthwhile it was. It was hard, and i struggled.
Just know that what you suffer now will go away, be strong, and know there are others going through the same thing, that have been there and understand what it is like. When you pull through, you'll look back and have a new appreciation for your back, and life in general.
just be strong.

Old 10-26-2004, 11:51 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

mlachowicz HB User

Debbie:
Totally prepared or not, the road to recovery is hard. Up's & down's you will have, & even sometimes, unfortunately, for everystep you take forward, there will be a step or two back. Try to keep your focus set on knowing that you will get thru this, and the pain will subside!
~M~

Closed Thread