It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2004, 04:18 PM   #1

SANDILYNNE2 HB User
Unhappy bulging discs and protrusin and cant get help for the pain can someone help

Hi I have been reading this site for a while and decided that i needed some help for 4 years i have had back problems i had a mri after first injury and it showed that i had 2 bulging discs L4_l5 L5-S1 and about 9 months ago was in a car accident and hurt my back and had another mri now i have a annular tear and a pdisc protrusion and at L3-4and the bulging discs are there i am in severe pain and for a while was given given pain med and physical therapy and a chiropractor anti inflamitoreys muscle relaxors and now they dont understand why i am having so much pain still i have 2 small children and i can play with them cause it hurtd to ben sit i am so tired of saying sorrymommy hurts or doesnt feel well can anyone help me i need a doctor to understand that it is not in my head and i am suffering and at this time the only thinmg that helps is pain meds cause i havent been given any other choices and the couple of choices that i have had the chiro and pt has done nothing i am hurting bad please help thanks sandi

Old 10-22-2004, 04:45 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User
Re: bulging discs and protrusin and cant get help for the pain can someone help

Hi.... One of the first things I would do is definately find another doctor, find a Neurologist you can go to.... I had a herniation at L5-S1 had a laminectomy/discectomy back in June, had relief from the pain for about 2 weeks and the pain started to come back, now it is back completely, hurting in my lower back, hips, buttocks, back of my thighs, calfs, and my feet... was only in my right leg before surgery... I have had 2 MRI's one before surgery showing the 9mm herniation and one after surgery... which shows a small 3 mm bulge, but they say it isnt pressing on the nerves.... but can't figure out why I am still having so much pain...My Neuro that did my surgery didnt want to believe that I could be having problems again.. and basically blew me off..... My Neurologist referred me to a Pain Management Doctor, who has been doing the Epidural Steroid Injections on me for the last 6 weeks.... they do a total of 3... usually in 2 week intervals.....I have had a EMG/NCV (Nerve Testing) a Myelogram & CT Scan....and a MRI of my Neck.... and they have put me on Neurontin, which is for nerve pain.....and Vicodin.....

Do your MRI's say that your discs are compressing the nerves... if so, you need to find a Neurologist and get it taken care of, nerve compression is nothing to play around with....the longer they are compressed, the more damage it causes, and the longer it takes for them to heal....if they aren't permanently damaged by the compression....like I said... best thing you can do is find a Neurologist and ask them to do more testing to find out what is causing your pain, obviously there is something there.... this is your body, and your pain, they aren't having to deal with it, dont let them put you off, of make you feel like you dont know what you are feeling.......be persistant, you have to be..... believe me, I have been dealing with this for 9 months now.....have been through 4 Neurologists... but finally on my 4th try found one that would listen to me.... its is a long road to travel, but you can do it........ Best of luck to you... Let us know how things go for you....Take Care....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2004, 05:35 PM   #3
(male)

Rob61 HB User

I agree with texas

I also had L4-L5 L5-S1 Surgery the whole bit with the pain returning. If this was a car acedent it should be covered, you should find a spine Dr he shoud do some testing. I had a discography ( not a fun one ) but it gives them more information for treatment. Also ask if he can recomend a pain managment Dr. I'm also on Neurontin its done wonders

Hope this helped

Rob

Old 10-23-2004, 06:51 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User
Wink Re: bulging discs and protrusin and cant get help for the pain can someone help

I can only agree w/ the last 2 psot...find another Dr. I suffered for 3 yrs. w/Drs. thinking it was all in my head. I actually gave up and decided to live w/it, until it got too bad. I thank God that I found an Ortho. who listens to me and BELIEVES me when I tell him I hurt. I wish I had not given up and found him earlier Bottom line is I just had surgery 2 mo. ago and so far am 80% pain free. Good luck,

Lorie

Old 10-23-2004, 06:57 AM   #5

SANDILYNNE2 HB User

Thank you so much for your info i felt so alone i have trouble getting to places because i have no transportation nut i will continue to look do i need a referral for a neuro and god i wish i had something for the pain i can barley stand today this is a awful feeling but its reassuraing to know you are all out there thank you so much

Old 10-23-2004, 08:51 AM   #6
Veteran

AlSmith HB User

Hi Sandi, I am sorry you are in so much pain, but you have come to a good place to get info and support. Is the car insurance company paying your medical bills or is it your own medical insurance? That will figure into wether you have to have a referal or not. Each company has their own policy on this. You need to be forceful and don't take no for an answer. A neurological surgeon who specializes in the spine is the best doc for you to go to in my opinion. This is only because I had a bad experience with an ortho. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

Alan

Old 10-23-2004, 06:08 PM   #7

neil40 HB User

hello sandie
what the guys are saying about not getting fobbed off are spot on i'm not sure how it works by you but i would think you need a referal if you do get as far as a operation you can get your discs trimmed to take away the problem area best thing is dont worry it will be ok if you do need this type of surgery its a doddle you will be up in a flash meantime if the pain is bad try a tens machine if you need something stronger try to get a low dose of oxycodone these are very good take it from me my spine has been smashed and screwed together since 1985 good luck and chin up neil

Old 10-25-2004, 11:45 AM   #8

SANDILYNNE2 HB User

thanks guys for all your support i have been trying to find a doc you can see my pain but i cant and so i sit here in pain i cant take the pain aymore i cant evev play with my kids i just cant get the pain to go away i cant get a doc to perscribe me anything right now cause they just dont understand why i am having so much pain please help

Old 10-30-2004, 06:57 PM   #9

SANDILYNNE2 HB User
Unhappy Re: bulging discs and protrusin and cant get help for the pain can someone help

hi every one sorry i havent written i have some new news on tueday i was pushed out of my boyfriends moving truck by boyfriend we were going about 20 mph i was suppose to meet with a new doc at that day instead i spent the day by getting brought to a hospital by ambulance with a broken hand and 2 fingers broken also my knees are pretty banged up and of course my back is killing me **** i feel like my hole body hurts i was put on pain meds and had to go to a orthopedic surgeon wed they had to try andput it somewhat back together thet put on a 1/2 cast til wed the 3rd were they will put on a full cast the doc gave me percocet tuesday the day i was injured then the ortho put me on tylenol 3 which didnt help at all so on thursday i called the ortho back and he was going to put me on percocet but i had no way of getting to his office so he caled in vicodin 5/500 which didnt help but i finally got to meet with my new primary told her everything she is so nice she gave me percocet til i go to the ortho on wed and they told me not to take ibprofen cause it delays the healing processin the bones has anyone heard of that before? she also said that i should have a mri as soon as the cast is off which is at least 7 weeks which is to long i think i found a great doctor but i is there anything i can do sooner with a cast on for my back? thanks Sandi

Last edited by SANDILYNNE2; 10-30-2004 at 06:58 PM.

Old 10-30-2004, 07:39 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User
Wink Re: bulging discs and protrusin and cant get help for the pain can someone help

Hi Sandi, I am so sorry that you are having to go through so much all at the same time. I guess the only up side is that you are able to temporarily get some meds. to hold you over. (I have a hard time saying that being thrown out of a car and breaking your hand/fingers has an upside, but I hope you understand my thoughts behind the statement.) As for the Dr. saying no Ibroprophen (sp?)...very true. After my surgery the Dr. said absolutely no anti-imflamatory until 12 weeks. Some how the blood helps bones to grow back and the anti-imflamatories do something to hender the growth. It is wonderful that you like your new primary Dr. I hope the ortho. is also a good one.

Hugs and prayers,

Lorie

Old 10-31-2004, 06:29 AM   #11

SANDILYNNE2 HB User

hi lorie thanks so much i know if there was a upside that was about it anyways i am glad to hear that someone else has heard of ib profen not helping thanks again sandi

Old 10-31-2004, 08:59 AM   #12

splash HB User

I have a question with similar issues. I have disc desiccation at L3-4, L4-5, L5-S1 with 2 mm bulges and loss of disc signal at three levels and loss of disc height at L5-S1. I also have an anterior annular fissure at L5-S1. I have had 2 cortisone shots which have not been effective. My doctor thinks that the terrible back pain I have may be from the tear instead of the bulges. Has anyone found that a tear causes more pain than bulges?

I also have a thoracic syrinx, and it's possible that the pain if from that, but not all of it. My dr has suggested the dye injection to see if the tear really is the problem and says it hurts like crazy. I have fibromyalgia and just getting the cortisone shot is torture for me.

Anyone have any comments? Thanks.

Old 12-07-2010, 03:41 PM   #13
(male)

chandleraz HB User

I agree with all of you on get a new doctor, go back to your family doctor and get referals i was at 5 different neuro. doctors and went to barrows. Then my neuro doctor told me i needed a neuromuscular doctor he is better and i due go to the pain management doctor there is not alot they can due but the right one can help with your day to day.

Closed Thread