It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2004, 01:58 PM   #1
(female)

tearsofscarletx HB User
Unhappy I'm getting a Spinal Fusion in the summer...

has anyone had a spinal fusion before? how much pain do you have to endure after surgery? should i get an epidural afterwards?

i found out last thursday that i had scoliosis, a 38 degree curve in my upper back and a 42 degree curve in my lower back. they recommended the surgery and i am just wondering what should i expect by going through with something like this.

thanx for your input.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2004, 04:30 PM   #2

islebe HB User
Re: I'm getting a Spinal Fusion in the summer...

i just had a lumbar fusion the 11th of this month. it was just for the l5-s1. the surgery was notbad, and the recovery so far has been pretty good. You'll be sore, which will translate into discomfort, and some pain, but it is worth it if you feel better in the long run. between rest and pain meds you'llfind it easy to get by. my recovery has been an exprience, and i have had bad and good days, but all my fears and misconceptionof th surgery and recovery ended when i went home the thursday following.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2004, 04:06 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User
Re: I'm getting a Spinal Fusion in the summer...

Why not until the summer? I told my doctor last year that I wanted to wait until the warm weather and I'm glad. I didn't have to wrestle with covers in bed and I wore flip flops all summer. I was fused from L3-S1. The pain wasn't bad but I had to go to rehab for a couple of weeks until I could get around at home because I live alone. I'm four months out and doing good.
fly

Old 10-24-2004, 07:54 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User
Wink Re: I'm getting a Spinal Fusion in the summer...

You will find an increddible amount of info. re. fusions on this board. Look at "post surgery tips" on the list and search under fusions. You'll learn a lot. As for me, I am 8 wks. post-op. I can almost say I am back to being a normal person. There is very little that I can not do. The pain isn't as bad as I thought. (Due to meds. I am sure). In the hospital, it will go something like this:
Day of surgery...you'll be doped up. I don't remember much about that day.
Day 1 after...you'll be asked to get up several times during the day and "walk". It may only be to the bathroom or acroos the room. (Take you meds. 1/2 hr. prior to walking.)
Day 2...you'll be switched from meds. through a pump to orrally. Keep up your walking. Lots of short strides are better than 1 longer walk. Catheter will probably come out. Nurses may continue to come in and turn you, which hurts to do it yourself, but at least my nurses said to just lay there and they did all the work.
Day 3 you may go home if you are keeping food down. You may be constipated for awhile, so have some stool softeners at home.

Once at home, same as days 2 and 3, but you will start to increase your walking. Remember, several short walks tend to do better than one longer one. I needed help in the house for 2-3 weeks. But I only needed someone there with me all the time the first 2 wks. (I was told that I did recover a little slower because of my Fibromyalgia.) After that I had people stop by and help throughout the week. and I had meals brought to me several days a week for quite awhile. (If someone asks you what they can do to help...that's a great one. Esspecially if you have kids.)

Don't worry, the first week out of the hospital will be the worst of the pain. Make sure you have your meds. picked up before you get home and take them as scheduled, even if it means setting an alarm to wake up in the middle of the night. (Or you will wake up very painful). After the 1st week, I set my alarm to wake me 1 hr. before I was to wake up. Then I went back to sleep and let the meds take affect.

Good luck and God bless,
Lorie

Closed Thread