It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2004, 03:32 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

cardinal HB User
alcohol vs meds?

I am trying to way the pro's and con's. I definately get relief from my pain drinking several beers. I have tried so many meds and get horrible side effects! I can not tolerate meds. I gave up the booze for a month and my pain has gotten so bad. I thought maybe I was an alcoholic and went to several aa meetings. Now I started pain meds to try again and the side effects are once again happening. At this point trying to "rationalize" I feel that if controlled, beer may be my salvage? If I am going to "damage" my innards why not something that works? I don't drive when I drink and only up to a point where I know its going too far then I can stop. I realize booze changes our minds etc but so do the meds! Also I have given the thought of with booze I can not go out, but that's ok because I only drink at home. I have been suffering with trying to way this remedy and feared it would lead to heavier drinking? I don't like hard alcohol, only beer and wine. I've met some real good people at AA and hate to lose their friendship. Should I just keep quite and do what I feel I need to survive? I am so fed up with doctors and meds, this is one thing I can do without paying for office visits , no health ins right now. It seems to be the ONLY thing that relaxes me and helps with my pain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2004, 07:34 PM   #2

PaulaZ HB User
Re: alcohol vs meds?

I've had the same benefits from a couple glasses of wine in the evening. Probably acts as a muscle relaxant.

I hate taking prescription pain meds and they do NOT agree with me. I can only take anti-inflamm's, so I don't have a problem with a little alcohol. It certainly can't be any worse for my body than those pain meds.....everything goes through the liver anyway, so what difference does it make.

If it gives you relief, I say go for it, but not to the extent where you are actually falling down drunk, although once in awhile that's ok too!

Just remember not to drink and drive!

Here's to a pain free day for all!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2004, 01:17 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

beachgirl01 HB User

Hi there,
It's kinda funny that I came across your message. I've always said that on the occassion that my b-friend and I have some drinks at home the pain seems to really dull. Well, He threw his back out at work the other day and without realizing it, after having a couple drinks with supper he said his pain was gone, it was back in the morning of course but the alcohol did really make a difference. Anytime that I am having some drinks to relieve my pain I always stop right after my pain gets a little bit better. Maybe this isn't the best way to find relief but I certainly don't do this every night, I would say maybe 2-3 times per week depending of course on my pain, sometimes it's less. I don't know how bad this could be. I too don't like the hard stuff and only drink beer. Anyway, I don't have any advice just the same situation as you. However, I think it comes down to moderation. I've always heard that 2 drinks a day can actually be beneficial. Well, take care. Kristy.

Old 10-24-2004, 03:03 AM   #4
(female)

FUNKYHEADGIRL HB User

I don't blame anyone for having a few drinks to help "ease the pain". I do the same on occasion, maybe once every 1-2 weeks. It works, it gives me a break from pain meds, and I'm not going to feel bad about it! Pain gets old, taking meds gets old....I see no problem unless it becomes excessive or you start mixing it all up!

Closed Thread