It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2004, 01:59 PM   #1

Mobity HB User
Total Lumbar Fusion L1-S1

OK, so hubby has finally proclaimed that he would rather die than live with the pain he is going through and has scheduled surgery for Nov. 3.
We are using one of the leading neurosurgeons (pioneered artificial disks and is using his own inventions for stabiliation.) Our PMD and neurosurgeon agree that a scs or mp won't work because the path is completely blocked. Injections don't work because they can't get the needle in the right spot. The last milogram sent hubby into the atmosphere with pain. He had to be restrained. The neurosurgeon finally came down and finished it. When I got in to recovery I could hardly recognize hubby. His face was swollen and he was still crying even though sedated. The neurosurgeon told me he had given him enough to knock out an elephant. It's a long story and we've been dealing with this forever. Hubby's whole spine is a mess and we've been told he will have trouble for the rest of his life since he has severe dbd and ddd. His lumbar spine is so unstable that we fear spinal cord injury and paralysis. He has had two previous back surgeries.

Has anyone had L1 - S1 fusion and if so how did it go?

Answers are appreciated as are prayers and best wishes.
TIA
Mo

Last edited by Mobity; 10-25-2004 at 01:59 PM.

Old 10-25-2004, 04:35 PM   #2

neil40 HB User
Re: Total Lumbar Fusion L1-S1

hi sorry to hear about your husband he needs to come to the vets with me and we can both be shot. i have suffered since 85 and in feb this year had major op part of it was s1 the other two a little higher i think i know how your hubby feels but please tell him to mull it over with you and anyone it will effect it may sound stupid but he needs to think of how he is now and what it may be like if things do not go well things may go great and i hope they do truly .I hate to say this because you do need to be positive but mine did not go to well but i think thats the chance you take talk to him make sure its what he realy wants
i will keep you in my prayers good luck neil

Last edited by neil40; 10-25-2004 at 04:37 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread