It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2004, 02:07 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User
Anybody familiar with this... if so.. Please give me your input,

Hey guys...

Was just wondering if any of you all are familiar with the term "Prominent Lumbar Lordosis" if any of you are... please respond.... Could this be the culprit that is causing my lower back, hip, buttock and leg pain?? This is the finding on my Myelogram/CT Scan... Any input would be greatly appreciated...Thanks bunches.......Take Care......

April

Old 10-25-2004, 02:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

beachgirl01 HB User
Re: Anybody familiar with this... if so.. Please give me your input,

Hi there,
I hope I can help you out a little bit. Lumbar Lordosis is when the lower back has developed a significant curve. This does cause a whole lot of pain, mainly in the lower back. I too have lordosis, spondy and sicatica. It's hard for me to say what the cause is of certains pains. But I do suffer from hip, leg, buttock and feet pain. I think it's mainly the sciatica when it comes to the buttock and leg pain. There are a couple of things that you can do to try to help some of your pain. The main thing is to have good posture. When I sit in a chair I often use a pillow and prop it up behind my lower back, this forces me to sit up straight and it feels a lot better. If you sleep on your stomach then it's a good idea to use a flat pillow under your stomach but it's better to sleep on your back and putting a pillow under your knees helps as well. If your standing around, raise one leg a couple inches off the ground and have it rest on something (like a step), this takes pressure off the spine and gives it a rest. Don't wear heels. And another really important one is to keep your stomach and back muscles strong. Well I hope this helps you out a little bit. Take care and let me know if I can help oiut anymore. Good luck with finding some relief. Kristy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2004, 05:08 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

kristy, I have often tried to put a pillow behind my back but it is uncomfortable-any other suggestions?

Old 10-25-2004, 05:37 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

That means that your spine is curved. Which way is it curved, side to side or swayback?

I sleep with a pillow between my knees and on my side. Sleeping on the back is very bad for a bad back.

Old 10-25-2004, 06:06 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

[QUOTE=injured betty]That means that your spine is curved. Which way is it curved, side to side or swayback?

I sleep with a pillow between my knees and on my side. Sleeping on the back is very bad for a bad back.

[/QUOTE]

Actually I am not sure which way my spine is curved, I just got the MRI report and the Myelogram/CT Scan report....Haven't seen the films from either yet.... and thats what the Myelogram report said...about the Lordosis.......I dont go to my Neurologist until Nov.2 for him to go over the results....... as far as sleeping on my side with a pillow between my knees I have tried that..... the only position I can lay in that gives me any kind of relief from my lower back, hip, buttock, and leg pain is laying flat on my back.... I know it is probably bad for it, but thats the only comfortable or somewhat comfortable position I find..... Thank you guys so far for your responses.... I sure do appreciate them..... Thank You....... Ya'll take care........

April

Old 10-25-2004, 06:17 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

April: I looked up a picture of this condition and it looks like sway back. It can be corrected. I can't see how sleeping in the back can feel good. Doesn't it hurt? Type the condition into Google and you will see a pic of it.

Laying on the back is not even good for backs that don't hurt. It doesn't follow the natural curvature of your spine. If you put a pillow where it should curve, then that is supposed to help. The pillow works for me because my pelvis is too tight and out of alignment. I am pretty thin so I have to have the pillow in order to be comfortable. I tried the stomach but that was too weird. It also, is bad for your back.

When you lay flat, can you put your hand under the small of your back and have clearance?

Old 10-25-2004, 07:16 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

[QUOTE=injured betty]April: I looked up a picture of this condition and it looks like sway back. It can be corrected. I can't see how sleeping in the back can feel good. Doesn't it hurt? Type the condition into Google and you will see a pic of it.

Laying on the back is not even good for backs that don't hurt. It doesn't follow the natural curvature of your spine. If you put a pillow where it should curve, then that is supposed to help. The pillow works for me because my pelvis is too tight and out of alignment. I am pretty thin so I have to have the pillow in order to be comfortable. I tried the stomach but that was too weird. It also, is bad for your back.

When you lay flat, can you put your hand under the small of your back and have clearance?[/QUOTE]

Hi again.... Actually no sleeping on my back doesn't hurt.....thats the weird thing... it is actually the only position that makes my pain in my back and legs and such ease up.....and yes, when I lay flat I can put my hand under there and have clearance........Do you think that this condition is contributing to my pain??? Thanks Again for your response.... they have been helpful.... Much appreciated.... Take Care.........

April

Old 10-25-2004, 09:45 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

beachgirl01 HB User

Hi April,
I don't really have any other suggestions that might help. As far as sleeping, do what is comfortable for you. I've actually read that with lordosis it can be better to sleep on your back but they do suggest to put a pillow under your knees. I don't know if you have muscle relaxants but I take them pretty much every night before I go to bed and it seems to help some what.
If you do a search on the net there are a lot of really good resources out there.
When yoy see your neuro make sure you ask him for any suggestions that would be helpful. Start making a list of questions for him so that you don't forget what you want to know.
Well, I hope you find something that works. Take care and let me know how your appt goes on the 2nd. Kristy.

Closed Thread