It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2004, 03:15 PM   #1

sdurden HB User
Sacroiliitis - I feel hopeless that it will heal

I have major SI joing issues from childbirth. I had Symphsis Pubis Disorder at 27 weeks, which lead me to a wheelchair until birth. I felt fine until I started my period 5 month post pardum. Since then I have had nothing but constant pain. I walk everyday, have lost 45 lbs (below pre-preg size) and do a lot of streching and position changing to help alleviate the pain. My pubis only hurts when there is pressure, but the SI joint itself is what is not healing, which was actually okay during pregnancy.

I have tried every therapy I can think of, even cupping (which worked SO well on my emotional gunk!). Both the orthopedist and my regular doc claim there is nothing else to do, but I am so tired of constant pain!

I take 150mg of Effexor every day, which I am going to ask my doc to up because I've been feeling worse lately. I take Vicodin when it's really bad and I need it to work or function. I smoke pot daily to help myself cope with the pain and emotional crap.

I know my ligaments are hypermobile. One of my butt muscles (one of the underneath ones) hurts as well, and my hip joints hurt from time to time. Just recently my pelvis went out of place while trying to strech, and I actually felt a burning sensation rather than the other aches and pains I normally feel.

Can they like sew my ligaments tighter? Screw my SI Joint together?

Old 10-25-2004, 03:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

beachgirl01 HB User
Re: Sacroiliitis - I feel hopeless that it will heal

Hi there,
I am rather unfamiliar with your diagnosis but I am very sorry to hear that you are going through such a tough time. Have you tried swimming for therapy? Seems to me that it could possibly be very helpful. I wish you the best of luck in finding something that will help reduce your pain. Take care. Kristy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2004, 05:55 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

sdurden,
Ligaments can be tightened up with Prolotherapy, or surgery where they sew them tighter. They cut out the slack. No amount of PT will help once your ligaments are lax. I did the Prolotherapy but they didn't tell me that I needed PT at the same time and now I am WAY too tight on the right side. I have to do stretches to try to loosed back up.
Every time that your pelvis is out of alignment, it will hurt. There are exercises to get you back in, but if your ligaments are lax, you have to keep having it done. They told me to lay at the edge of the bed and hang the leg over the bed, from the hip down, on the side that is too tight, to loosen mine up. Also, I have to do hip flexor exercises. This again, is to loosen up. You don't want to do any stretches that loosen you any further.

Surf the web for SI exercises and then go to a good Osteopath who can lead you in the right direction. If you choose Prolotherapy, make sure that you do your reseach on the spine doctor doing it. It is big money these days and most insurance won't pay for it.

take care,

Old 10-25-2004, 08:20 PM   #4

sdurden HB User

Thanks for the notes! I have researched Prolotherapy, and I just don't know if it's right for me. That area is inflamed quite often already. Plus, the ligaments are way streched. Today for instance, my cubemate decided to show me she could touch her toes. She's been doing yoga regularly for a good 6 mo or so, and has been working on it. I thought "gee, I haven't thought about not being able to touch my toes for a while", turned around and showed her I could fold my fingers into themselves, but not quite put my palms out. I can twist my body no prob. If i lie flat on the floor, I can keep my shoulder on the floor, throw my knee up and all the way over to the other side floor. The Orthopedic was like "Oh, you're not supposed to be able to do that".

So yeah, I think my opionon is that the ligaments need to be shortened. What is involved in that?

Sandy

Closed Thread