It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2004, 06:12 PM   #1

hortonhears1 HB User
Question Newbie needs help

I was in a mishap with an elevator 5 weeks ago .I was going to back into the car with 10- 5 gallons of bottles of water. (Around 440 pounds) The elevator doors opened and and I backed in . the car had stopped 5-7 inches lower than floor level I stepped down and my right leg slide out and the hand truck with the water came in and by trying to keep it from flipping I twisted my back, shoulder and pulled a groin muscle.At first my shoulder and neck, along with my groin were injured.I went to the doctor laid down on the exam table and by the time the doctor game in I was not able to sit back up. Ihad a mri done and was said to have 2 hierniated disks (c5-c6-c7)I have back pain, numbness in my right and left hand.(more in my right ) and pain up into my neck and behind my ear.I've done p/t ,ultra sound, tenns, and traction.because of persistent lower back pain I had a mri on my lower back and found out today I have another hierniated disk in my lowerback. I have an emg scheduled and an appointment with a nuerosurgoen . Been out of work for 4 weeks. anybody have any idea what i'm in for.I've done the oral steriods,am on nsaids. Whats next? thanks in advance

Old 10-25-2004, 06:23 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User
Re: Newbie needs help

First, did you file an WC case? You might need this in case you need surgery. Discs in the neck usually don't herniate without an injury. They usually don't do surgery on the neck unless there is a chance of nerve damage. You have now done everything that my husband did before fusion. He is four weeks post op and back to work.

I had read that 80% of WC cases don't get better due to financial gains. But, if you want to work, and you want to get better, this might work out for you.

You have pain. You have been through everything that they can offer you short of surgery. My guess is, that is the next offer on the table.

Last edited by injured betty; 10-25-2004 at 06:23 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2004, 08:02 PM   #3

hortonhears1 HB User

I have filed a workmans comp, its an aautomatic thing if I'm hurt on the job.I've also retained a lawyer because of letters i was getting in the mail asking me to sign stuff I wasn't sure i Should. It gets very confusing and I don't want to sign the wrong thing. I got a wife and 3 daughters to think about. did anyone else who got a lawyer feell guilty about it? I've never thought of myself as the sueing type but i don't want to be taking advantage of. Thanks for the quick reply

Old 10-26-2004, 11:45 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

hortonhears:

A lawyer is for protection. But, if you plan to return to work, there really isn't any reason if you are simply hurt, want to get better and then go back to work.

We have made it through the process, my husband getting a two level neck fusion, without any hitches, no attorney. He asked if he could go back to work for four hours a day, starting this week, four weeks post op. His worker was amazed. But, we don't stand to gain financially. All he ever wanted, from the beginning, was to be pain free, fixed, and then return to work. There was no settlement involved. He loves his job. It was hard to make it through the medical system and if we had not had a nest egg, this would have been hard, but he will get back pay for disability for the hours he is missing and all of the medical bills, travel to and from med visits, hotels, medical reports, paid. It is just a hassle to file.

What you want to get out of this determines whether or not you should retain an attorney. As long as you keep good records and make all of your appointments, file for FMLA while off of work, you should be fine without paying an attorney. Why spend on someone that you might not need?

A calendar and a journal for record keeping is much cheaper.

If you can't return to the job that you had, they train you for another one either with the company that you worked for or another vocation.

Only sign what you feel comfortable signing. You are in the middle. You have to sign some things in order for the process to go through. Read them carefully. Ask a lot of questions of the case workers. Lawyers are usually for people who were hurt off the job or a car accident. Work has insurance. They may not be your friends, WC, but they are responsible. If you get an attorney, they go into a defensive mode and think that you are going to sue them.

There is really no financial gain for the attorney if you are going to get disability short term and plan on working later.

Old 10-26-2004, 04:12 PM   #5

hortonhears1 HB User

It sounds like your husband works for a great company. I 've seen my company make people return to jobs that are not considered heavy work ( we deliver bottle water) like outside sales, something we know nothing about and then can them the next month for not making their quota which is the same as seasoned sales people. It's happened to 3 guys in the last 2 years. I

Closed Thread