It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2004, 06:50 PM   #1
(female)

peepers566 HB User
Unhappy Having a tough time

Hi everyone, it has been awhile since I last posted. I had fusion surgey Aug 3rd with L4-S1 being fused with screws and rods, I had 100% slippage at L5. I saw the doctor last week, and he said since there was so little there to fuse with that everthing has now slipped back to where it was before and will as the L5 now having movment again, like it did before the sugery. He is not real sure where to go from here. He will be attending some spine socity (sp?) meeting at the end of this month hoping to get some feed back from other doctors, he said that there will be spine surgens there from all around the world there. He also told me he has never seen a back injury (slippage)? as bad as mine, that sorta made my day. I am having uncontrold pain at this time. Pain meds are 100mcg Duragesic patch, Lorcet, Flexerl and Elavil for nerve pain. 1 leg or both can have awful pain, pin and needles feeling, along with right foot now starting to drop. Some times I can't even make it the stairs to my house, all 4 of them with out help. The low back pain has come back with a vengance. The doctor is planning more surgery when he gets back from meeting, some time in early November. Yup I am getting depressed and I will be making a apt with a theripist(sp?) to help me work through all this. Oh ya, he says I am now disabled, with now chance of returning to work. Thanks for giving me a ear to bend.
Diann

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2004, 07:06 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User
Re: Having a tough time

I am trying to picture a fusion from L4 to the SI and the L5 slipping afterwards. It was in the middle, between the L4 and the SI. Was your disc deteriorated? The discs were removed and cages put in, right? Can't they go back in and put in a piece of your pelvis bone?

Have you read your surgery report? Ask for specifics. Have him draw it for you. You would think that there would be one long fuse between the L4 and SI. Do you have a plate and screws in there?

Think positive thoughts. Try to do anything you can to take your mind off of the pain. Even if it means doing something that you hate to do, being mad takes your mind off of it. I read, walk, do stupid, mind numbing computer games, anything to not think about it.

Check out self hypnosis. They have proven that they can do major surgery without any anesthesia in some patients with just the use of hypnosis. Also, white noise and head sets works for dentists. They do root canals using only this method of pain relief.

The patch is about as strong as you can get right now, short of the pump. The patch is pretty serious stuff.

If your state is a legal pot state, smoking pot doesn't take away the pain, it just makes it so you don't care.

Last edited by injured betty; 10-25-2004 at 07:06 PM.

Closed Thread