It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2004, 01:17 AM   #1

A BISHOP HB User
Pain Med Addiction!!!!

I've Had A Spinal Chord Injury Since 1992. I Have Been To Many Doctors Seeking Releaf From My Constent Leg, Back, And Hip Pain. They All Sead The Same Thing,"there's Meds That Will Work But I'm Afraid To Give Them To You" The Reson Was Because There Are People {scum Bags} Out There Who Are In No Need Of Thes Pain Meds But They Buy Them From The Street Or Any Where Else They Can, Just Because They Want To Walk Around High All Day. These People Make Life Hell For The Rest Of Us Who Really Need These Meds. I Have Since Found A Doctor That Gives Me Oramorph Sr, And These Have Made Life A Little Better. Only A Small Number Of People Who Use Pain Meds Abuse Them, But They Scare The Hell Out Of Doctors.

Old 10-27-2004, 02:55 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

ltedeschi HB User
Re: Pain Med Addiction!!!!

Although what you said is true. In the case of an actual injury you most certainly can find a doctor willing to help with the pain,
Im not sure your injury can you elaborate.
Lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2004, 04:51 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Welcome A BISHOP,I too suffer with pain from a spinal cord injury due to surgery to remove what is called a cavernous hemangioma.believe me, i feel your pain.just what caused you spinal cord injury?

Old 10-27-2004, 05:10 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User

Perhaps I'm ignorant, but I would believe a good pain management doctor wouldn't allow any patient to suffer. If you're in pain, keep knocking on the doors of doctors until you find one that provides you relief.

Best of luck to you.

Old 10-27-2004, 10:32 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

Haw'nCarl HB User

Aloha Bishop,

Iím with the others; I donít see what the scumbag drug addicts have to do with anything. I know what point you are raising believe me, there have been many discussions about pain med addiction in the past. I disagree in the strongest terms with the argument that a doctor should deny medicine to a patient with an obvious, legitimate, documented injury because there are scumbags abusing drugs and the system, or that they are fearing that you may become addicted, that is a crock! That is unless there is obvious signs that you may be abusing drugs or are doctor shopping. Unless that is happening, I would get another doctor immediately.

Who are they to deny you a better quality of life! If they feel that you may be abusing, they should call the Feds and not make excuses just to cover their behinds or whimper and whine and deny you relief!

I also would discourage anyone from being afraid to take narcotics or any type of pain meds that a doctor may prescribe just because they are scared they are going to become addicted, this is also a crock! Pain...or No Pain! That is the Question! Come on...the answer is easy.

Thank You, Thank You Very Much! And Good Luck Bishop.

Carl (Grrrr!)

Old 10-27-2004, 10:59 PM   #6

A BISHOP HB User

I Was Ask To Tell About My Injury By Lisa. I Was In A Car Accident Back In 1992. I Had Burst Fractures Of Pretty Much My Entire Lumbar Spine. It Also Damaged My Spinal Chord Along With Other Injures. But The Spinal Chord Injury Was The Most Severe Of My Injuries. I Had Rods Put In My Back, When They Became Infected And Came Loose They Were Removed. They Also Did A Bone Graff. All Of These Are Seperate Sugeries. They Wanted To Put The Rods Back In But I Have Not Had It Done Yet. Haveing Them Removed Was Much Worse Thean Haveing Them Put In. I Mean It Hurt Like Hell! And Still Dose. I Have Found A Doctor Who Gives Me Oramorph Sr. But He Has Mentiond It Might Be A Bad Idea. I Signed A Release Form And Agreed To Random Drug Tests. By The Way The Car Accident Was My Fault. I Was Speeding, But Passed A Blood Test At The Hospital. My Point Of My First Letter Was To Say Most Doctors Are Afraid To Give Any Serious Pain Meds. Even If They Know You Need Them. One Doctor Even Sead I Would Be More At Risk To Haveing My House Robed! And That Was The Reason She Gave Me. Thank You For All The Replys. I See I'm Not Alone.

Old 10-27-2004, 11:05 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

Bishop, do you have paralysis? That is what I think of when I hear spinal cord injury. If so, another med that has proven good for that is Neurontin as well as botox injections (to spasming muscles ) and or a baclophen pump. I worked with spinal cord inuries as well as brain injuries, stroke and all disabilities for five years, and those meds were very common to brain injuries and SCI, aside from pain meds.

Old 10-27-2004, 11:20 PM   #8

A BISHOP HB User

[QUOTE=mel1977]Bishop, do you have paralysis? That is what I think of when I hear spinal cord injury. If so, another med that has proven good for that is Neurontin as well as botox injections (to spasming muscles ) and or a baclophen pump. I worked with spinal cord inuries as well as brain injuries, stroke and all disabilities for five years, and those meds were very common to brain injuries and SCI, aside from pain meds.[/QUOTE]

YES I DO HAVE INCOMPLETE PARALYSIS. I WERE LEG BRACES{AFO} TO WALK. I ALSO LOST CONTROLL OF BLADDER AND BOWL FUNCTION. I'VE TRIED NEURONTIN WITH NO SUCCESS. I HAVE NOT TRIED BOTOX. I'VE TRIED BACLOPHEN BUT IT WAS IN PILL FORM. I HAVE ALSO TRIED PAXIL FOR THE LEG PAIN BUT IT MADE ME VERY NERVOUS. AND I'VE TRIED A TENS UNIT. BUT NOTHING HAS REALLY MADE THE PAIN MORE TOLLERABLE. PLEASE EXCUSE THE SPELLING, I'M THE WORLDS WORST SPELLER! THANKS FOR THE REPLY.

Old 10-28-2004, 04:44 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User

Hee Hee... I lub you Carl.... Yer our resident butt kicker. You tell it like it is. Go GET those baaad doctors!

Old 10-28-2004, 04:49 AM   #10

aackles HB User

I totally understand what you're saying Bishop. I am in the Army and I go through hell every time I get a refill. I have no problem with the doctor prescribing the pain meds but as soon as I get to the pharmacy I have to go through the third degree. I mean they literally sit and count the days since I had my last refill and ask do I really need these. I had a two level spinal fusion 8 weeks ago you might think they would be a little more understanding. Glad you found some relief. Angela

Old 10-28-2004, 05:03 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

ltedeschi HB User

HAving heard about your injuries I can only say CHANGE DOCTORS!!!!!!
You most definately have documented injuries and a good doctor will treat you There are numerous meds to try to alleviate your pain. After everything you have gone through(and it doesnt matter who's fault the accident was) your life is enough of a mess without the added pain.
Good luck and dont give up
Lisa

Old 10-28-2004, 11:27 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

bishop, have you looked into a short term rehab hospital? Not addiction rehab, physicala rehab. There, they have specialty doctors who are familiar with your issues of pain, they can trial and error meds and give you some PT that may help with the pain as well. Just a thought-

Old 10-28-2004, 11:35 PM   #13

A BISHOP HB User

[QUOTE=mel1977]bishop, have you looked into a short term rehab hospital? Not addiction rehab, physicala rehab. There, they have specialty doctors who are familiar with your issues of pain, they can trial and error meds and give you some PT that may help with the pain as well. Just a thought-[/QUOTE]
YES THAT IS WERE I WAS PUT ON THE ORAMORPH SR, AFTER LOTS OF TRIAL AND ERROR. IT WAS A VA HOSPITAL.

Old 10-28-2004, 11:36 PM   #14

A BISHOP HB User

[QUOTE=ltedeschi]HAving heard about your injuries I can only say CHANGE DOCTORS!!!!!!
You most definately have documented injuries and a good doctor will treat you There are numerous meds to try to alleviate your pain. After everything you have gone through(and it doesnt matter who's fault the accident was) your life is enough of a mess without the added pain.
Good luck and dont give up
Lisa [/QUOTE]
THANK YOU SO MUCH. I'TS GOOD TO KNOW I'M NOT ALONE.

Old 10-29-2004, 04:33 AM   #15

ktshobe HB User

Angela,
Hi, I am in the Navy and about to have two level lumbar fusion in early January. Like you, my job depends on my recovery. I suffered for 3 years before they agreed to operate! I am glad to hear about your success - it makes me optimistic. Thanks for making my day!
-Katie

Closed Thread