It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2004, 04:27 PM   #1

toelle HB User
Unhappy This pain is unbearable!!!!

OK I need to vent. It's 6:20 at night and once again I'm in unbearable pain! I have been slowly weening myself off the Lortabs, I'm now down to 2 half 500 mgs. a day, because they were no longer doing anything for my pain and I dont want to become a pain pill junkie. I still have to take 1/2 a 2 mg Xanax about mid afternoon and a whole one at night to sleep otherwise I'd be up all night with the pain. Usually it's pretty bearable in the morning but as the day wears on it gets worse and worse. I had a microdisectomy in March of this year which the neruosurgeon assured would take care of everything. "You'll be all better in 6 weeks" he said. Then he said some people take longer to get over this surgery than others "be patient" he said. Well I've been patient for 7 months! And it's hurting as much as it has since I had the surgery. I just had another MRI on Tues. and I have an appointment with the Dr. on Mon. I sure hope he can figure out why I'm still in pain because I am really at the end of my rope. My life has turned into one long nightmare! Even if he finds out something I dont' know if I would dare go through another surgery if he were to suggest one. I'm starting to understand that back surgeries are ify at best. I just have to get some relief. This is no way to live! Toelle

Last edited by toelle; 10-27-2004 at 04:30 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2004, 05:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User
Re: This pain is unbearable!!!!

Toelle:

I had a disectomy and wasn't better after 7 months. A neuro did the surgery. I then went to a disco who told me the neuro only did half the job. I have since had a fusion and am feeling better than I have in years. (which I don't dare say too loud)

I don't know if this is the same as your problem but it might be worth seeing a different doctor for a re-evaluation. Something just doesn't seem right.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2004, 06:34 PM   #3

MARY G HB User

Toelle,
I am so sorry youu are in such pain. I had a microdiscectomy in '98, then 6 mos later I had a terrible allergy episode with extensive sneezing and herniated the level below the previous surgery. I then had another misrodiscectomy. It is a good thing you are having an appt on Mon. Will keep you in prayer. A second opinion is helpful because of a new look at the findings. Good lick. Keep us posted. We are jere for you. Mary

Old 10-27-2004, 07:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User

Toelle, I really am sorry you are suffering so. But as I said in my previous post to you, I think you need to see a different doctor...at least for a second opinion. That your neuro would let you suffer for so long is unconscionable and I would try to find someone more compassionate.
A fresh face and fresh ideas might prevent more surgery. Heck, it's worth a try, I would think!

Good luck....I hope you get to feeling better.

Carol
morphine pump

Old 10-28-2004, 07:17 AM   #5

toelle HB User

Hello everyone, I talked to a my friend's daughter last night whos husband has suffered back pain for the last five years. She said that I should ask my Nero. to see an anestheioslogist not a pain Dr. She suggested several procedures to try. She said first thing would be botox injections or possibly fluroscopy(steroid shot). Also a morhpine pump or medtronic pain pump electric stimulator. Then she suggested a nerve ablation where they go in with shots of radio frequency; I think that's what Larry Flint and Jerry Lewis had done. Also she suggested a bentyonel patch which is a narcotic but not as bad for you as if it was taken internally. She said if the Dr. wont help me it's time to call customer relations at my HMO(Florida Health Care) and file a complaint. All of this sounds like something to look into but I dont think my HMO would pay for a lot of these procedures. I do have some money that I inherited and I guess if push came to shove I could dip into it but I hate to because it was our retirement money, I'm 60 and my husband is 57 and only has a small retirement account where he works. I'm trying to stay hopeful but it's hard. On top of everything else today I have to start prepping for tomorrow's colonoscopy, routine at my age. Fun! Wish me luck everyone. Toelle

Last edited by toelle; 10-28-2004 at 07:19 AM.

Old 10-28-2004, 08:33 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

Did you mean, fentynol patch?

Old 10-29-2004, 11:06 AM   #7

lystom HB User

Is there anyone out there that has had neucleoplasty?

Closed Thread