It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2004, 09:59 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User
Unhappy At Wits End..... Where do I go from here???

I had a Hemilaminectomy/discectomy back on June 2.... had relief for roughly 2 weeks... over the 2 weeks the pain gradually came back... having constant Lower back, hip, buttock, leg, calf and foot pain.... have the crawling, tingling, burning, numb, sensations in my right leg, and now in my left as well, which I didn't have before surgery, also have the pulling, achy pain in my legs... cant bend at the waist or it pulls all the way down my leg, Doc says I have no achilles reflex in my right leg....EMG confirmed this as well... last three toes on my right foot are numb and my toes and foot ache terribly.....I am having a very hard time even being able to walk on my toes on my right foot now becaue of the pain in my foot and that it sends through my leg.....EMG concluded I have L5-S1 Radiculopathy.... Had another MRI in August it says I dont have any nerve compression, but I do have residual epidural tissue at L5-S1, whatever that is.....Have gone for 3 Epidural Steroid Injections... first two gave me maybe 2 days relief... the last one I had this past tuesday lasted only a few hrs.. now my pain is back... worse....I was on Keppra... didnt help... then on Neruontin, he took me off it on tuesday because it was causing terrible headaches... and wasnt helping..... Had a Myelogram on Oct 20th... it says I dont have any nerve compression .....When my PM Doc did my injection Tuesday, he said he was going to treat the S1 nerve, because he said wth my symptoms they pointed directly to S1 nerve root irritation...... when he injected me, it immediately shot the pain down my butt and leg clear to my foot... .Hurt something awful, but went away in a few seconds... and pain totally disappeared for maybe a hour..... Then started to come back... and is back full force... and in some ways worse......My Neuro has already told me that if it is scar tissue, he will not go in and cut away the scar tissue because it will just come back and cause more problems..... if the MRI and Myelogram/CT shows no compression on the nerves....but does show prominent Lumbar lordosis...and disc narrowing at L5-S1....If I have no nerve compression why am I having such pain? something has to be there...Right? it is so frustrating to have this pain, and have the tests say nothing is there.... Sorry this is quite long... but I am at my wits end with this... Where do I go from here?? Any input anyone can give me sure would help.... Thanks in advance.......Take Care.....

April

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2004, 10:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User
Re: At Wits End..... Where do I go from here???

TexasWild:
I would seek a new doctor for another opinion. I had scar tissue built up from my lami/discectomy within a very short period of time and my new ortho went in and cleaned it out.. made the opening even bigger this time so as to hopefully prevent future problems. Doesn't seem your neuro gave you a reasonable answer...although I'm not a doc. I had a neuro the first time too.

Did you see my other response to you?

Old 10-28-2004, 10:48 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

[QUOTE=TxHunni]TexasWild:
I would seek a new doctor for another opinion. I had scar tissue built up from my lami/discectomy within a very short period of time and my new ortho went in and cleaned it out.. made the opening even bigger this time so as to hopefully prevent future problems. Doesn't seem your neuro gave you a reasonable answer...although I'm not a doc. I had a neuro the first time too.

Did you see my other response to you?[/QUOTE]

Hi... this is the 4th Neuro I have been to... and have been to 2 Ortho's....basically the same answer from each of them about the scar tissue... they wont touch it..... this last Neuro I am going to came very highly recommended by my Pain Management Doc.... he is supposed to be one of the best in Austin......Yes I got your other response..... Thanks alot.... Take Care

Old 10-28-2004, 11:40 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

Pain is a funny thing. It is supposed to be an indicator that something is wrong, but sometimes it exists for no reason other than it just does. Once they send you to a PM, they have given up on structural reasons. This is not to say that you don't have pain, but the pain receptors in your brain may be messed up. Once that happens, it is a mess to try to figure out. Now they are going to try to teach you to manage the pain. There are many ways of doing this. I use distraction, causing pain in other areas such as walking for hours, or reading, anything to keep my mind off of the pain. My mom swears by self-hypnosis. There are answers, you just have to find one that works for you.

Old 10-28-2004, 12:02 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

Injured Betty..... What you said makes sense... only problem I have is.. with my pain.. I can not sit... stand... or walk for more then 10-15 min at a time without having to stop and lay down... flat on my back to get relief......I cant work.....all I have ever done is retail.....and that is what I was doing when I started haing problems......so I guess I will have to rack my brain to try to think of things to do to distract my mind from the pain.....which isnt easy.... but I know what you mean.... anyway... thanks for the reply.... much appreciated.... Thanks...Take Care....

Old 10-28-2004, 07:03 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User

You are sure having a rough time of it. It seems to me that an MRI with contrast is in order and perhaps a myelogram-ct or discogram. SOMETHING is causing your pain and just because this doctor hasn't found it, doesn't mean it isn't there. Are you saying you have seen 4 other doctors since your surgery? If so, then I am at a loss.
The epidural residual tissue is scar tissue. For sure, there is no reason to allow any more ESI's, they are just going to cause more damage. It seems obvious to me that if you have no reflexes and have numbness and tingling, you are nerve compression. You may have a leaking disc...it might be arachnoiditis or SI joint. My doctors are having a hard time finding what is causing my lastest set of symptoms and have begun doing "diagnositic nerve blocks", using only local anethesia, no steroids. We already know part of my problem is the SI, but it kept them guessing for 6 months! It could be that you have more stenosis than it appears, that is another reason for suggesting the MRI with contrast or the myelo-ct.
I do sympathize greatly, and hope the doctors come up with something soon. If not, pain management may be the best choice for you.

Much good luck.

Carol
morphine pump

Old 10-28-2004, 07:45 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

[QUOTE=carol632]You are sure having a rough time of it. It seems to me that an MRI with contrast is in order and perhaps a myelogram-ct or discogram. SOMETHING is causing your pain and just because this doctor hasn't found it, doesn't mean it isn't there. Are you saying you have seen 4 other doctors since your surgery? If so, then I am at a loss.
The epidural residual tissue is scar tissue. For sure, there is no reason to allow any more ESI's, they are just going to cause more damage. It seems obvious to me that if you have no reflexes and have numbness and tingling, you are nerve compression. You may have a leaking disc...it might be arachnoiditis or SI joint. My doctors are having a hard time finding what is causing my lastest set of symptoms and have begun doing "diagnositic nerve blocks", using only local anethesia, no steroids. We already know part of my problem is the SI, but it kept them guessing for 6 months! It could be that you have more stenosis than it appears, that is another reason for suggesting the MRI with contrast or the myelo-ct.
I do sympathize greatly, and hope the doctors come up with something soon. If not, pain management may be the best choice for you.

Much good luck.

Carol[/QUOTE]

My last MRI I had back on August 11th was with and witout contrast.... I just had a Myeloram/CT on October 20th.....finished my 3rd ESI this past Tuesday and yes he told me no more because non of them helped anyway....and he doesnt do more then 3....... I have been to 4 Neuro's since my surgery, but this last one is the only one that ordered any further testing.....My Original Neuro that did my surgery sat and looked at my MRI films from August and told me that I had a really narrow canal..... but nobody else says anything about it... or it doesn't say it on my MRI report....Keppra and Neurontin didn't work.......Since the ESI's didn't work What else can they do as far as pain management?? I am at a total loss as well.... Thanks alot for the response.... Hope you feel better soon. and figure out what is causing your pain..... Take Care.......

April

Old 10-29-2004, 05:08 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

[COLOR=Blue]My last MRI I had back on August 11th was with and witout contrast.... I just had a Myeloram/CT on October 20th.....finished my 3rd ESI this past Tuesday and yes he told me no more because non of them helped anyway....and he doesnt do more then 3....... I have been to 4 Neuro's since my surgery, but this last one is the only one that ordered any further testing.....My Original Neuro that did my surgery sat and looked at my MRI films from August and told me that I had a really narrow canal..... but nobody else says anything about it... or it doesn't say it on my MRI report....Keppra and Neurontin didn't work.......Since the ESI's didn't work What else can they do as far as pain management?? I am at a total loss as well.... Thanks alot for the response.... Hope you feel better soon. and figure out what is causing your pain..... Take Care.......

April[/COLOR]

There are lots of avenues of pain management. Are you trying to cure your pain or manage it? If they can't find anything wrong, nothing that they can pin point, they will start trying to manage the pain. Sometimes there is no evidence of why the pain exists. There is bio-feedback, visualzation, white noise distraction, hynosis, the tens unit that diverts the attention of the pain receptors, accupunture, massage, narcotics, and more.

You might have referred pain. That is always a possibity. My friend had fibroids and it was causing lower back pain. Once she had those removed, no more back pain. I knew someone else who had gall bladder problems. When they took out her gall bladder, the back pain went away. hearts, brains, and gallbladders don't feel pain so the body tries to alert you to problems that they are having by using referred pain. The gall bladder is notorious for causing lower back pain.

I hope that you find the souce of your pain. It can be very frustrating.

Old 10-30-2004, 08:37 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

cardinal HB User

Hi Texas! I so can relate to you! I am so fed up with trying to find "what works?" I don't tolerate meds at all and esi's etc. My whole back is messed up, 3 fused in cervical, l5 discectomy-now collapsed and l3-5 herniated, along with ddd and nerve problems, arthritis . I have pain in my feet big time and knees, ankles and hands. I was drinking beer pretty much on a daily basis and it helped! But, also at times hit me hard with depression. I quit, a month now and in more pain than ever!!! I guess the "beer" was covering up some pain for me. Now I am contemplating drinking again. lol, as I sit now with one in hand. I've been going to AA and found that very helpful but does nothing for my pain only makes it worse trying to make it thru an hour in those old metal chairs! I so enjoy their friendship and the one place I can vent some, I wish there was a place for us, painful sufferers?
Today is a very painful day for me, yesterday went out for dinner and a meeting , wow, ordinary for some not us, and all week little by little redid some old wallpaper to paint by myself.I refuse to "cash in" and refuse to be totally invalid, so that beer is looking better and better? I know I need to see a neurologist again, but, I moved and have no insurance til next August! Plus, don't want any more surgeries although may consider ADR? for the lumbar? I'm pretty sure my fusion isn't fused, something is causing this severe pain and pins and needles and unable to turn my head? I hope you find some relief, any relief is such a blessing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Closed Thread