It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2004, 07:16 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User
Question bone stimulator

My husband is four weeks post op from a two level neck fusion and we received a call today telling us that he was to get a bone stimulator. WC won't cover this so they want us to either pay for it or put it on our private insurance.

Anyone else have one of these prescribed at just one month post op?

thanks for any input.

Old 10-29-2004, 01:53 AM   #2
(female)

GranEEjay8 HB User
Cool Re: bone stimulator

Hello there, I had my third back surgery just one year ago and my surgeon implanted a bone stimulator which was left in for 6 months and then I went in for out patient surgery and it was removed. The doctor was really pleased with the results. Said it looked like the bone had fused very well and looked good and solid. I really don't know anything about the one you are talking about but it seems to me there was a person on this board that had the type you are talking about. Hopefully they will read your thread and be able to give you help. Hope that just letting you know mine worked might help you out. My best to you and good luck.
Joan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2004, 05:53 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

ltedeschi HB User
Re: bone stimulator

I have heard of people getting these after surgery up to six months. This will just give an added push in the bone stimulation. I am sure it will probably be external and it will be worn on the outside of the brace if he has one.

Old 10-29-2004, 06:31 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

MarianJ HB User

[COLOR=Indigo][CENTER][B]Hello Betty [/B] [/CENTER]
[INDENT]I had worn a bone growth stimulator about two weeks after my lumbar fusion. Mine was called a SpinalPak by Biolectron. The stimulator is a little bigger than a cell phone and has a case, belt strap and a clip to be worn on the outside of clothing. This unit is battery operated by a 9 volt battery. It also comes with Electrodes that you place on each side of the fusion area about 3 inches apart. These electrodes can be reused by simply wetting them with a few drops of water. The company also supply's you with a stock of electrodes and battery's. Your husband's doctor will give specific instruction's on how many hours a day he wants him to wear the stimulator. I had to wear mine 24/7. I only had one problem with mine. When I went to the store with my husband it did set off the security alarm when leaving the store....lol[/INDENT]
I wish your husband a successful recovery.

[CENTER][B] Jeanne [/B] [/CENTER] [/COLOR]
[U]Lumbar CT Scan 9/24/03[/U]
Impression:
The thecal sac appears to be deviated slightly to the left around L5.
Mild posteior subcutaneous edema.
L3-L4 mild circumferential disc bulge.
L4-5, L5-S1, mild disc bulges are noted.
Follow up MRI recommended. (Neuro surgeon said report was incorrect)
[U]Lumbar MRI 1/20/04[/U]
Impression:
Small amount of post operative fluid collection at level L4 which does not appear to communicate with the thecal sac.
Encasement of the thecal sac at L4-5 level by enchancing soft tissue, consistent with epidural fibrosis.
Displacement of the left S1 nerve root, consistent with epidural fibrosis.
[U]Lumbar Myelogram 2/26/04[/U]
Impression:
Mild indentation on the subarachnoid space is noted at the level of L4-5 & L5-S1 where there is non-specific soft tissue slightly displacing the subarachnoid space.
[U]Lumbar Post Myelogram 2/26/04[/U]
Impression:
L4-5 non-specific soft tissue is noted in the dorsal & ventral epidural space..
L5-S1, there is non-specific soft tissue noted in the ventral epidural space slightly displacing the dural sac posteriorly.
[U]EMG 9/13/04[/U]
Distal Peroneal Neuropathy Bilaterally
Bilateral Chronic L4 versus L5 Radiculopathy
[B]~[U]CERVICAL[/U]~[/B]
Straightening of the Normal Cervical Lordosis.
Mild Congenital Narrowing of the Spinal Canal.
C4-5, C5-6, C6-7 Herniated Discs
C4-5 & C5-6 , Cord Flattening at these levels.

[B]Fibromyalgia, Arthritis, Bursitis, Tendonitis, Diabetes,
Anemia, Asthma, Acid Reflux, Migraine's[/B][/COLOR]

Old 10-29-2004, 05:14 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

Thanks for the relies. It is a bone stimulator that is worn on the outside. His doctor told him today that WC should cover it if they push. They tried to get us to put it on our private insurance, to lie. We held our ground.

He has to have it because he has a two level neck fusion and went back to work. They want to help him in any way that they can. I think all total, he only took off four week, one pre op and three post op. We are up to walking five miles a day. We feel that it is safer to walk then possibley get hit by a car while he is recovering. I have a fear of falling and he has a fear of getting hit by a car, what a couple we make.

Old 10-29-2004, 09:34 PM   #6
Inactive

hoffta HB User

I did not have spinal surgery yet, but doctor has ordered one for after surgery and I think he said must be used for 6 months post surgery.

Old 11-01-2004, 06:54 PM   #7

Periwinkle Liz HB User

Hi Betty
I had a soft collar right after surgery and at my 2 week checkup my Neurosurgeon said I could stop using the collar and gave me a bone stimulator right there.

Liz

Old 11-08-2004, 12:11 PM   #8

Jen423 HB User

I wore a bone stimulator by Ortho-Fix for my 2-level cervical spine fusion. I really have no opinion about it other than my surgeon recommended it, my insurance approved it and I wore the thing for 3 months. It's now gathering dust in the closet. I figure it must help otherwise they couldnt' sell them or get the insurance companies to cover them.

Good luck!

Old 11-09-2004, 07:57 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

Jen423: I would sell that thing on e-bay! They are going for $1200, used!

Closed Thread