It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2004, 08:02 PM   #1
(male)

thekeith HB User
keith update and new issues

hey all.
i am just updating for those who "know me" and also asking you and others (who dont) an opinion or 2

ummm, quick short version for those not keeping score and actually having their own problems :} (all of us)

me: 35 male, previous L4/5 herniation, 2 failed endoscopic discectomies, shot of embrel, time made me better (3 years)...living modified lifestyle and fine all things considered.

changed apartments, stress of moving plus some actual bending
re-herniated (self diagnosed, no insurance), this time right leg had pain and weakness + nerve type back pain
stayed home for 2 months popping lortab and flexaril, last 2 weeks started treadmill at home, starting to feel a bit better, no pain in leg, no weakness, pain in back lessened, started NOT taking the pills so i could be driven to a local bar to have a drink and escape some cabin fever.

so we are up to date.

last 3 days, no pills so i could drink beer

I notice I ma real jumpy, almost shaking..not from withdrawel, just nervous.
its kind of like the "nerve pain" of our back problems, you know, it aint ACHY, its "electric" except if i had to put my finger on it, I am not "in pain"
yet, as i walk from the car to the bar...I wanna get there are soon a possible, like the anxiety of a person who has to go to the bathroom, you know...like "come on come on COME on,,,DONT TALK TO ME, COME ON!

then i order drink,,,"I better get this drink FAST, i am in trouble,,,come on, COME ON"

"I have to sit NOW"

"I cant wait to get HOME"

while drunk, yes i got drunk, i felt alot better,,,you know, not much pain.

SO here is my deal

When we look at what i just said, it looks like a hell of a lot of ANXIETY and not true 100% pain

you know, like when I laid on a soft couch yesterday and it was BAD,,,you know, like, oh boy, this sucks, I cant do that again.

I did a major thing just now.

I drove myself to the store and got a few things, havent done that is 2 months

and there I was again..."oh man, get to the door, oh jesus, hurry to the salad, this is a bad idea, oh NO, I am in pain"

but not really "PAIN"

like the squinty eyed stress of traffic and looking into the sun on a glarey day, you know...ANXIETY.

Then I do realize that old right leg, is going a bit numb...or I should say "diassociated"

not like a numb that you could poke it and not feel anything,,,

just like when i first re-hurt my back 2 months ago!

i thought, HOLY $%#$%!, did I just ruin all my progress

got in the car and .....you guessed it

"OH MAN, CANT WAIT TO GET HOME, IF I CAN JUST MAKE THE LIGHT,,,IF I CAN JUST TURN LEFT....IF IF IF"

but a semi numb leg and anxiety...that i am calling "PAIN"

anybody know what I mean?

anybody know what I am talking about?

Its like i had 12 coffee's, on edge with symptoms

so here I am, popped a lortab and flexaril, and hoping for IT to calm down

is IT, my bad disc, or is IT my mind?

know what I am saying?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2004, 11:09 PM   #2
(male)

thekeith HB User
Re: keith update and new issues

and a new thing now

my left legs hurts..
like a bad ache

so i guess....pressure on sciatic nerve from moving about?

even though i get none of that from walking a half mile on treadmill

you would think I would have to OVERDO it a bit more to have my leg hurt so fast

Old 10-30-2004, 03:19 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

ltedeschi HB User

I gotta tell you keith I had anxiety just reading your post. Seems to me you are on too!!!!!!!!!!much caffeine.
Lisa

Old 10-30-2004, 03:24 PM   #4

angel1064 HB User

sounds to me like you are having a panic attack. have you ever had these before? they are awful.

Old 10-30-2004, 04:43 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

Sounds like a panic attack to me, could be from switching from meds to beer. When you stop taking meds your body will scream in pain, or anxiety, anything to get your attention so that you will take the meds again. Old pain, new pain, any pain, will come to visit you if you try to give up meds unless you do it very slowly......

Old 10-30-2004, 04:52 PM   #6
(male)

thekeith HB User

actually yes, I have very bad panic attacks when I was younger

they eventually went away for good

I think the stuff i described is me being so careful and scared of hurting that I am clinching up and sqeezing the life out of my muscles and innards

I was just scarey and dissapointing to be feeling a bit better and then half way thru the grocery store, feeling my leg become "numb-ish"

back on the treadmill I go,,,stress relief and need to tighten my muscles...keep the "work" off my back

The only obvious difference when I stop taking the med's is I get very cold....when it isnt cold in the room

Old 10-30-2004, 05:38 PM   #7
(male)

mpullee HB User

get off the meds and alcohol!

Old 11-02-2004, 09:08 AM   #8
(male)

thekeith HB User

I am not taking meds AND alcohol
after being on meds for 2 months, If I know I wanna have a drink, I do a whole day without meds, and later that night, have a few beers

so the meds have time to leave my system or be as low as I can get..

as in, 10 hours..

:}

Old 11-03-2004, 07:28 PM   #9

cowgrrl HB User

Hi Keith,

Why did you diagnose your recent problem yourself and not go to a doctor? This may be a stupid question but why haven't you driven yourself in 2 months? There have been periods when I couldn't drive because of the pain and then other periods because I was so nauseous. Right now I can drive. Today I thought I could stop at a store because although I was at my usual level of pain, my spirits were pretty good which makes it much easier for me to handle the pain. But, when I was in the store my pain suddenly intensified and tears came to my eyes. I was thinking "Oh ****!", "i can't take the pain, am I going to have to lie down on the floor, how embarrassing, how am I going to get to the car, how am I going to get home..." Well, somehow I made it home.

I don't really suffer from anxiety but there are times when I feel like I have had too many coffees but I don't drink any caffinated beverages at all. I hate the feeling and don't know how to make it pass. I've thought that I could walk it off but I can't because it feels as though my legs are spasming or something, they become tight and jerky. Sometimes I eat to take my mind off it but that's not a great solution. Sometime it turns to feeling like I am going to pass out also so I just have to lay down (not so easy in public).

As for your meds, it's very likely that they take more than one day to get out of your system. If you look them up on the web through the drug company, it will tell you their half-life.

I hope you are feeling better today.

I hope you feel better today.

Closed Thread