It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2004, 07:07 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User
Scar tissue and pain

New diagnosis, not synovial cysts, now I am being told that I have scar tissue. I never had surgery, so I am not sure how this happened. I went in to have the cysts taken out and I was told that the knots are scar tissue that needs to be removed. Does anyone have any experience with having scar tissue removed either by surgical means or by manipulation while under anesthesia? I have always read that scar tissue comes back. I am not sure how I got it in the first place or if this is just another stab in the dark in the way of a diagnosis.

Symptoms: If I do the cat stretch, you can actually feel these hard knots right under the skin at the dimples of my butt and on top of my SI. Also, when I stretch, it feels like adhesions. The doctor said that the pain was from the scar tissue being right on the bone and the nerves of the Illiac. I am so thin that when I sit back, they are right there. If I spend the entire day standing, walking, not leaning back, I have no pain.

So, I went to my primary, who has diagnosed cysts now for over a year, and ask him to send me to someone to have them removed. He was clueless. He had no suggestions. Would I want a regular doctor taking them out in the office using a local, would I need an out patient surgery center? Or, would I want to use the method where they break them up with manipulations? This is all kind of scary to me. All I want to know is, how did I get them, and how do I make them go away?

The only surgery that I had, which was not surgery, but involved needles, was the Prolo. But, that is just using thin needles and I have searched the net for info on this and have found no info on Prolo and scar tissue.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2004, 08:05 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User
Re: Scar tissue and pain

Come on guys, I am bumping this up. Someone here has to have been diagnosed with scar tissue and have pain from it. What do you do? Do you have it removed? Manipulated and broken up under anesthesia? Cure for adhesions? There has to be someone here who has had scar tissue and either sucess or horror stories about it.

I am fine, all day long, until I sit back. The scar tissue is right along the top of the illiac. I can walk for miles with no pain, stand for hours, but if I press against the scar tissue it is like a hot poker in my back.

I am about to take a job that requires driving eight hours a day. I can't think of how I can do this short of putting a pillow behind me and cutting out a spot where my scar tissue is.

I need suggestions. Has anyone ever had the scar tissue taken out and it not grown back? Surely there are people here who have had scar tissue from surgery and had to deal with it.

I know that I have read posts from people here who have cysts. This is basically the same only mine are hard knots and cysts are fluid.

HELP

Old 11-09-2004, 10:22 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

Hey Betty...... My Neurologist told me that if scar tissue was what was causing my pain, he would not go in and remove it because it would just come back, and most of the time even worse, so he will not remove scar tissue... of course mine is in my lower back, where I had a discectomy/Laminectomy back in June....The Neurosurgeon that did my surgery had told me that same thing also.

Any Idea why I would still be so sore and tender right around my insision area? Could that be part of the scar tissue as well? There is a burning sensation and also very very tender to the touch... Non of the doctors I have seen seemed to be very concerned about it...Just wondering if you or anyone else would have any idea, or experienced this.

I know my post probably wasn't much help, but I can kinda relate to what you are talking about.... Hope you get it straightened out soon.... Good Luck!

Take Care
April

Old 11-10-2004, 11:10 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

April, thanks for your rely.

What confuses me is that I didn't have any surgery. They say that mine is from the tearing of the ligment. I have had other surgeries and no scar tissue, in other places. I am beginning to think that the doctors that I am seeing are shooting in the dark. First it was torn ligament, then loose ligaments, then synovial cysts, then, god forbid, a typo and told that they were cancerous tumors, then no, it was lympoma, not lymphoma, then back to synovial cysts, now being told that they are scar tissue. But, I have more now than before. I have developed one on the left side, where the ligament didn't tear.

The PT told me that everyone has synovial cysts in their back, right at the dimple. No big deal. Ha! The pain is beginning to be intolerable and I manage pain well.

How did the doctor determine that it was scar tissue? Did they do a test? Can you feel it by touching it?

I can't find answers anywhere and am not sure who to go to next. All I know is that I have these huge knots in my back and no answers that I believe. Think that a CT scan would show these?

The weird part is, I do have two different feeling things back there, soft, fluid, moving lumps and hard, tight knots that don't move. Whatever they are, they hurt like he$$. Right now I am wishing that I had a disc to look to because then I might have an answer. But, my discs look fine.

Sorry to vent, I am just so frustrated at this point.

Old 11-10-2004, 03:45 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

Hey Betty... Not a problem.... everyone needs to vent... goodness knows I have had my fair share.....I know what you mean about being frustrated.. have had many go arounds with that.... Have they mentioned a MRI - With Contrast? to show if it is scar tissue....My Doc told me that is how they get scar tissue to show up...with contrast the scar tissue shows up white....If you haven't had one... perhaps you could mention it to your doctor and have them order one.... its worth a shot... anyway hope this helps a little and hope your get this straightened out soon and know for sure what you are dealing with....Take Care... Keep us updated....

April

Old 11-10-2004, 07:55 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User

Betty, in my 23 years of battling this back, I have been told countless times that removing scar tissue does no good--it just grows back more aggressively. I would say the scar tissue is probably there from the tears and from the cyst removal. You might be one of those people (like me) who just make excess scar tissue. I have a nerve root (L4-5) trapped in scar tissue which causes a lot of pain but NO doctor ever suggests removing it.

I hope you find out what you need to know and get some help. I'm really sorry I don't have any good answers.

Carol
morphine pump

Old 11-10-2004, 08:19 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

Carol,
I am going to see a PM tomorrow and see if I can get some answers. They told me on the phone that they do their own testing. So far all I have gotten is mixed answers.

I went back and looked at my original MRI's and it doesn't state anywhere that the ligments were torn. Now I am really confused. I had the Prolo because I was told that the ligament was torn and not healed properly.

I am hoping that I can get them to tell me what they think it is by looking at my MRI's, doctor's reports, and maybe do some new testing.

I decided to brave the pain today and check out my back myself. I can feel the cyst that they are talking about. It is fluid and moves right underneath my skin. My waist band of my pants irritates it. That can be removed with a needle in the doctor's office. I can also feel the hard knot that is in another spot. They are about an inch apart. So, both doctors were correct, maybe. I gave a lot of thought to this today. It is like when they bring an elephant into a room and ask a group of blind people to describe what they see by feeling it. The ones that feel only the trunk will describe something totally different from the ones that feel only the tail.

They told me that they do their own testing at the pain center. I was reading about a process where infrared is used to determine soft tissue damage. It is supposed to work better than an MRI. Also, I am looking to have a CT scan. I had one MRI that didn't show any abnormal tissue, which puzzled the doctors because you can actually feel both of these problems.

Thanks for your support. I can guess that I can only hope that it is not scar tissue. One of them feels like an adhesion to me. I am hoping that can be broken loose with manipulation. I think that I would hurt far less if it didn't feel stuck. Joints and discs have been ruled out.

Tomorrow I am going to load up on anti-anxiety meds and let them do whatever tests they want to. I am ready to get on with life.

I do have a tendency to overproduce skin cells. But, I have never had a problem with scars before. In fact, I have had problems in the past with healing. Whereas a normal person's skin cells reproduce at one rate, a person with psoriasis, their cells reproduce at a much higher rate. I was always afraid of psoritic (sp?) arthritis. My mom developed it after surgery.

Can't you have the nerve root killed? I read some material about that on the net. Does it work? Do you have any information about it?

I only hurt after stretching or sitting back against it. I go for five to seven mile walks everyday and it never bothers me. I am getting ready to re-join the gym also. It only hurts if irritated. I never wake up with pain and if I stay laying down all day, it doesn't hurt.

I do have a friend who controls scar tissue with Neurotin. I can't do that because I work with kids and have to be in complete control at all times.

thanks, Carol. I will keep you updated.

Old 11-12-2005, 02:30 PM   #8
(female)

imcici HB User

I have had lower back pain for almost 2 yrs. now. I had a broken vertebrae at L5 and had my first fusion at L5-S1 in Oct. '04. Before I had my surgery, I found a large knot in my lower back left side. It was painful. I told the Dr.s this but they all said "no, that wont cause pain. It's the broken vertebrae and you need a fusion". So, I had it done. Well, 5 wks after I had my surgery, I slipped in a grocery store and hurt my back. Finally figured out that the fall had pulled out my fusion and that I needed to have another surgery to fix it. After the fall I noticed that I had developed many other knots and that they appeared to be multiplying. They are very painful. Once again I told the surgeon but he said "no, those wont cause pain. They are just trigger points and will go away on their own after we do the surgery." So, I did have the 2nd surgery and repaired my broken back again, but the knots are still there and are very painful. I have recovered only so much and feel like the knots are keeping me from fully recovering. I cannot find a Dr. that is familiar with this problem or that is willing to remove them. I am desperate and want them OUT!!! I cannot take the pain anymore and am so limited in my activity. It hurts to ride in a car for long periods or to sit. Standing or lying is usually the best position for me to minimize the pain but I will not stop until I can find a Dr. who will take these things out of my back so that I can get on with my life. I feel that the broken vertebrae caused the first knot and that the second injury to my back caused the others to form. I refuse to live off of pain pills for the rest of my life and not be able to get back to 'Normal'. I am only 38 yrs old and am so depressed I am going nuts. So, I can totally relate and hope that someone somewhere can help us. Thanks for posting. Now, I know I'm not the only one and that it's not just my imagination. Atlanta GA.

Old 11-12-2005, 02:38 PM   #9
(female)

imcici HB User

Well, I forgot to say that I had chiropractic manipulation, massage, injections and epidurals, all that did not help. The knots don't shrink or go away. I can feel them up under my skin and roll them around between my fingers. Some are small and some are large. I do have 2-3 on the right side but they do not hurt. The ones on my left are the ones that are so painful. I have about 8 on the left side. If I think of anything else, I will post the ifo. Thanks again.

Old 11-12-2005, 03:47 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

episacreal cysts

I am not sure if that is the correct spelling.

Picture a piece of meat and then push a needle through it and attach it to a button, the button being the cysts.

That is the only way that I know to describe what I read about this particular problem.

The start of the string would attached to the ligament, which is next to the bone and then pull to through the muscle. This makes it difficult for the muscle to move.

A surgeon will remove these for about $8000. Well worth it if they are painful.

I am not sure what causes them, but they are usually mistaken for lipomas. Lipomas are simply fat deposits. These are not.

Old 06-25-2006, 03:38 PM   #11
(male)

Bookseller HB User

I plan to have a hard knot of scar tissue removed in August, if it is still there. I am a male who had gynecomastia surgery (man-boobs removed/reduced.) I now have a hard lump of "scar tissue" (or so my plastic surgeon says) to the left of my left areola. He said he will take it out if it is still there in two more months.

Closed Thread