It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2004, 07:11 PM   #1

jewelly HB User
Question ANOTHER question.

HI, sorry maybe im just paranoid again but i have to ask...
I am 11 days post microdiscectomy and as all of you herniated disc sufferes know, when you coughed it sent increased pain down the affected leg, well my question is, if the offending disc is removed of the nerve root, why is there still some incresed pain when i cough?-i do still have some residual leg pain i am hoping to god it is just inflammaton as the nerve was very irritated at the time of surgery.
any advice or similiar experiences?

Old 11-06-2004, 06:40 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

kaybee HB User
Re: ANOTHER question.

Jewelly,

It takes time for the nerves to recover from damage. You'll also be feeling some different symptoms than you had before. Don't let it scare you. It's just the nerves regaining their function. You're dr. will no doubt reassure you when you go for your follow-up...

karen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2004, 09:21 AM   #3
Veteran

AlSmith HB User

Jewelly, I would not be too concerned about pain when coughing or sneezing. I am about 12 weeks post op and I still kind of brace myself when I sneeze or cough. Your injured nerve has lost some of it's elastcity so when you cough, it is not as stretchy as it used to be. You will probably have some reminders the rest of your life. Unless the pain is severe, I would just treat it as a reminder that you had a serious back injury and need to focus on getting better.

Here is a good way to think about it. Imagine that you have shut your hand in the car door. When you open the door, your hand is still smashed. Think of surgery as opening the car door. Your nerve is still smashed. One tricky thing about nerves, they heal slowly and often not fully. It is good to keep aware of what is going on with your body but keep a positive attitude and have faith in your body that it will get better. It just takes time.

Alan

Old 11-06-2004, 10:16 AM   #4

jewelly HB User

thank you, thank you i feel alot better with advice of people who have went through this.I think that when your home recovering you dont have alot of contact with people so your mind fixates on every new little pain
thanks again

Closed Thread