It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2004, 10:11 AM   #1
(male)

toddh64 HB User
How Long did leg pain remain after microdiscectomy

I am 70 days post op and still have leg/ butt pain. I know that it happens, but I'm interested in hearing any other info others may have. It is difficult to be patient (as most of you know). I am interested in the "good" and "bad" info.

thanks,
todd

Sciatic pain set in 05/03
tried chiro/ pt/ shots/ vaxd & nothing helped
microdisc. 9/01/04
pain remains

Old 11-11-2004, 11:42 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User
Re: How Long did leg pain remain after microdiscectomy

[QUOTE=toddh64]I am 70 days post op and still have leg/ butt pain. I know that it happens, but I'm interested in hearing any other info others may have. It is difficult to be patient (as most of you know). I am interested in the "good" and "bad" info.

thanks,
todd

Sciatic pain set in 05/03
tried chiro/ pt/ shots/ vaxd & nothing helped
microdisc. 9/01/04
pain remains[/QUOTE]

Hi Todd..... I had a Discectomy/Laminectomy at L5-S1 back on June 2, 04..... I still have back, butt, and leg pain... sometimes worse then before surgery... have had Epidural Injections...Myelogram, MRI's, EMG/NCV, Now they are talking about doing a Nerve Root Stimulator Implant... I was told that mine is most likely permenant nerve damage from the compression I had on the nerve before surgery....my sciatic pain started around December 2003.... Sorry this isnt the good info you are looking for... Hope yours turns out better... Good luck to you.

April

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2004, 02:15 PM   #3
(male)

chrispinco HB User

Hey I had my surgery 6 weeks ago L5 - S1 and the my leg pain went away after about 4 weeks its on and of now when I sit nothing compared to what it was. The pain is in the hamstring area if I have to deal with this its not a problem compared to what it was I hope this helps

Old 11-11-2004, 06:15 PM   #4
Veteran

AlSmith HB User

Have you checked with your doctor? You may need an mri to see if all the disc material was removed or if you reherniated it. You should have some relief from symptoms by now. I would be bugging my doc until I got a solid answer.

Alan

Old 11-11-2004, 06:25 PM   #5

Naught HB User

I had the intense nerve pain starting 6 days after surgery until about 6 weeks afterwards. It did eventually go away, coming less frequently and easier intensity. Now 6 months later it has been gone completely for over 4 months.

The first time I got it was after a sneeze, and it scared me like crazy. But the disc wasn't herniated, just very sensitive.

I actually got it mostly when trying to stand out of bed... I was fine once standing or when laying down. So I'd get up and not lay down again for a few hours (sitting was out of the question). Near the end of the pain, I found getting out on the opposite side of the bed helped a lot (think getting out on the right compressed the nerve).

My doctor says some people never get it and for some it lasts two years. It WILL go away, someday.

Old 11-11-2004, 08:37 PM   #6
(male)

tjwilli HB User

Todd,
I had a micro on the L5-S1 10 years ago 12-17-94. I had a lot less back pain and leg pain after my surgery, but as far as significant relif it took about 9 months. The best think I did was to simply walk and walk and walk. This did me a lot more good than any PT or anything else.
Tom

Old 11-12-2004, 05:11 AM   #7
(female)

confusedpatient HB User

Todd,
It took about 6 months for my leg pain to finally quiet down. I did take Celebrex at about the 2 month mark, which really seemed to help. In the meantime I have rehurniated & now am faced with another surgery. Be sure to keep your back strong & do those exercises!
Carol W.

Old 11-17-2004, 04:01 PM   #8
(female)

ladybird988 HB Userladybird988 HB User

I am 4 1/2 months post microdis and still have the leg pain. The doctor told me it will take 1 - 3 years to go away probably. He says the sciatic nerve is inflammed. And there may be some permanent damage. It's hard to imagine living with this that long. I still cannot sit at all nor can I drive because I get knifelike pain in my tail area. I walk half hour at a time and pool walking has helped, especially with the butt pain. I lost the butt pain as soon as I got in the pool. PT helps too. Massage especially. What bothers me most is the weakness in that leg and the doctor says it will get a bit better each month. Good luck to you. Talk about patience!

Old 11-18-2004, 02:18 PM   #9

toelle HB User

Re Aprils answer to post op microdisectomy pain: I too am scheduled to have the nerve root stimulator implant in Jan. First they will do it as a test and if it helps me they will then do the permanent implant. Have you decided to have it or are you still on the fence? I just have gotten to the point where I just cant bear this level of pain anymore and am ready to try anything. The Dr. says this is the final option and that my damaged nerve will never heal. Pretty grim but I'm trying to stay positive. Good luck and keep me posted on your progress especially if you go through with the proceedure. Toelle/Sue

Closed Thread