It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2004, 05:18 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mistina HB User
Body jerking and jumping at bedtime, how do I stop!!!!!

I cannot stand this going on any longer. Whenever I start to doze off to sleep, my body jumps and jerks really hard. It happened occasionally before my surgery and it has been happening too many time since I have been home. i'm so afraid that I'm going to screw my surgery and fusion up from jumping and jerking so hard. What is this? I'm pretty sure it's not RLS, it's my whole body. Does anyone else have this problem and how do I stop it. It's going to scew me all up!!!!!!

Christina

Old 11-17-2004, 05:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User
Re: Body jerking and jumping at bedtime, how do I stop!!!!!

you know, I have it too, it is very common. I was told once that when your body has a lot of stored energy it will jump when you fall asleep to "get rid" of the excess energy. I dont' know how accurate that is. If it is just a jerk, that is what I was told. If more of a spasm, that can mean the muscles are fatigued (like when your eyelid spasms). I have been getting this when I am NOT sleeping on my left leg. It also could be your nerves firing for some reason, my guess healing from the surgery? You can always ask your dr-what I have said is speculation only.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2004, 05:31 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

oh, and men seem to "jump" more than women too.

Old 11-17-2004, 07:01 PM   #4

Parks71 HB User

Yes, I get this too. I only happens right on the brink of falling asleep although my wife tells me I sometimes do it in my sleep too. Sometimes I do it a few times in a row. Its like a bolt of electricity hits me really fast, I wondered what it was or if it was related to my nerves in my back but I dont think so.

Old 11-18-2004, 12:25 AM   #5
(female)

Brenygirl HB User

I get this too and I have not had surgery. My doc told me it could be from the pain meds. I have it when I am awake too in my arm that is in so much pain, but it is a different kind of jump & jerks. It happens then alot when I am in the most pain.

Also, my hubby had it after his fusion surgeries. The NS told him it was normal. At times his would be so bad in his leg that he would kick me and hard!

I know it is a weird feeling. It takes some time to go away after surgery. I do remember my hubby's NS saying that it has something to do with the body relaxing and nerves "waking" up after surgery.

Good luck!

Breny

Last edited by Brenygirl; 11-18-2004 at 12:26 AM.

Old 11-18-2004, 02:02 AM   #6

lorry96 HB User

Dont know how true this is but as i am into spirituality i have read this many times. Apparantley, when you are at a certain stage of sleep, even if just going into sleep you go into a certain stage of unconcious mind, this is when your soul leaves your body to go astroplaning. There has been many articles of people who actually can remember this and can look down on their own body lying in bed! When you drift into the next stage of sleep your soul is pulled back into your body and makes it jump or jerk hard. I used to get it a lot, before surgery have not had in a while though. I think meds can make you go into this certain stage of sleep quicker (deep sleep) and also if your body is recovering from something. Do you leave it until you are really tired before going to bed? It may help to go to bed around half and hour earlier than usual. Only an idea thought i would let you all know. By the way all the above stages of sleep do have technical names but i dont know them.

Good luck anyway

lorraine

Old 11-18-2004, 06:44 AM   #7
TxHunni42

Well not sure about what lorry said... but I do know for a fact that the meds will do that to you. I had it, too, at the beginning of recovery. Now that I'm off meds, it's gone away.

Old 11-18-2004, 09:16 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mistina HB User

Thanks guys, Alot!! I though I was going crazy! I will have to try to stop taking the meds as soon as I can, I suspected the meds couple be the culperate(sp). I literally think it is going to mess up my fusion. It can't be good to jerk around like that. I arch my back really fast sometimes when I jump and that is no good.

Christina

Last edited by Mistina; 11-18-2004 at 09:17 AM.

Old 11-28-2004, 07:33 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

MarianJ HB User

[COLOR=Indigo][CENTER][B]Hello Everyone [/B] [/CENTER]
[INDENT]I am not feeling to well, so I have to make this post short. I would recommend doing a search on the internet on the following:
Myoclonus
Hypnic Jerks &
Periodic Limb Movements

I think you will then understand why you experience these movements.[/INDENT] [CENTER][B] Jeanne [/B] [/CENTER] [/COLOR]

Last edited by MarianJ; 11-28-2004 at 07:44 PM.

Old 11-29-2004, 12:10 AM   #10

Spirogyra HB User

This goes with Tomorrow's post. A "myoclonic spasm" is the name of the "falling throught the floor feeling" that sometimes happens to people as they fall asleep. They may have a startle reaction in response, in which they pop awake and try to "recapture" themselves. That happens to almost everyone some of the time, and is entirely benign as far as I know,.

But is this what you are talking about, Mistina? Or is it some more persistent spasming that continues after a single "jolt" If there's a lot of it, and it keeps going even when you are awake, it would not be myo spasm in the usual sense.

Spiro

Old 11-29-2004, 05:18 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

MarianJ HB User

[COLOR=Indigo][CENTER][B]Good Morning Everyone [/B] [/CENTER]
[INDENT]I am feeling a little better this morning so I think I will be able to type a little more.
I too have suffered with these movements while drifting off to sleep. The first time that I did experience this was after my lumbar fusion. I did discuss this with my neuro surgeon and he said that many of his patient's also stated this same feeling after surgery, but also told me that it wouldn't last long. He was correct as after several weeks it did stop. But later on during my recovery I started to experience the same feeling again. My husband had even noticed it when I would take a nap on the couch. I didn't mention it to my doctor again as It was something that I had kept forgetting to mention but it did eventually stop. For the past several months I have also had pain in both shoulder's biceps & triceps. I do have cervical injury's as well. My neuro wasn't sure if my bilateral arm pain was because of my cervical injury. When the pain became very severe and I developed adhesive capsulitis in both shoulder's they finally ordered two MRI's. The finding's were SLAP injury's in both shoulder's and Tendonitis in rotator cuff with a benign tumor in each shoulder near my nerves. This explains why I can't type to well these days. But once again I am experiencing the jolting feeling but this time in my shoulder's. This only happens as I drift off to sleep, at least this is what I think. I have done much research on this and have posted what I could find on it.

I have read that hypnic jerks occur at the onset of sleep. I read on a neurology board that one patient had this so severely that he had to take medication's for it. I am presuming that this patient' was not as fortunate as I was and the hypnic jerks stayed with him.
I also learned that noctumal myoclonus consists of periodic limb movements that occur while you're actually asleep during stage l and stage ll.

I believe that for many of us, that our nerves have been affected either by compression, decompression, scar tissue, error, etc. I also believe that doctor's don't entirely understand all their is to know about the nerves, how can they? But what they can do is try and treat the patient's symptom's. Meds & Test's, the story of my life....

I did reread your post Mistina, and realized that you said that your whole body is jerking while drifting off to sleep. I would then suggest you speak with your doctor about having a sleep study. I just recently had one done. Unfortunately, I had mine done before my arms started the jerking movement. They did find sleep apnea. When you have this study done they monitor your entire body with electrodes. I had mine done at my local hospital and it is only a five hour test.

Good Luck To You All.[/INDENT]
[CENTER][B] Jeanne [/B] [/CENTER] [/COLOR]
[U]Lumbar CT Scan 9/24/03[/U]
Impression:
The thecal sac appears to be deviated slightly to the left around L5.
Mild posteior subcutaneous edema.
L3-L4 mild circumferential disc bulge.
L4-5, L5-S1, mild disc bulges are noted.
Follow up MRI recommended. (Neuro surgeon said report was incorrect)
[U]Lumbar MRI 1/20/04[/U]
Impression:
Small amount of post operative fluid collection at level L4 which does not appear to communicate with the thecal sac.
Encasement of the thecal sac at L4-5 level by enchancing soft tissue, consistent with epidural fibrosis.
Displacement of the left S1 nerve root, consistent with epidural fibrosis.
[U]Lumbar Myelogram 2/26/04[/U]
Impression:
Mild indentation on the subarachnoid space is noted at the level of L4-5 & L5-S1 where there is non-specific soft tissue slightly displacing the subarachnoid space.
[U]Lumbar Post Myelogram 2/26/04[/U]
Impression:
L4-5 non-specific soft tissue is noted in the dorsal & ventral epidural space..
L5-S1, there is non-specific soft tissue noted in the ventral epidural space slightly displacing the dural sac posteriorly.
[U]EMG 9/13/04[/U]
Distal Peroneal Neuropathy Bilaterally
Bilateral Chronic L4 versus L5 Radiculopathy
[B]~[U]CERVICAL[/U]~[/B]
Straightening of the Normal Cervical Lordosis.
Mild Congenital Narrowing of the Spinal Canal.
C4-5, C5-6, C6-7 Herniated Discs
C4-5 & C5-6 , Cord Flattening at these levels.

[B]Fibromyalgia, Arthritis, Bursitis, Tendonitis, Pre-Diabetic,
Anemia, Asthma, Acid Reflux, Migraine's, Sleep Apnea[/B][/COLOR]

Old 11-29-2004, 07:38 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mistina HB User

Well, I'm not sure if it's my whole body. It will either be my leg, arm, or my abdomen which really sends me jolting and I'm arching my back when I jerk and it is so violent. I am really scared it has screwed up my surgery or will. I'm calling the doctor today to see what I can do. It is causing me to loose sleep I jerk so severely and cannot sleep cause it wakes me up and happens AlWAYS. I'm so afraid my surgery is screwed up from this but my doctor told me before, if you hardware is out of place you would know. I'm just nervous. I hope it goes away. How long did it last for you, you say several weeks? I'm four weeks post op. I'll take a muscle relaxer when I go to sleep to help me fall asleep easier but they make me sick.

Did you have alot of leg issues with your lumbar fusion. Like, muscle problems and wobbly weak legs?

Christina

Old 11-29-2004, 07:45 AM   #13
(male)

dckatz2001 HB User

Is it possible that the twitches are withdrawal related? Have you reduced your pain med intake at all?

Old 11-29-2004, 10:40 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

The strange thing is, they are either completely normal or related to the injury. I think the hardest part is figuring out which it is. It is possible you always jerked when drifting off, but never noticed b/c it didn't hurt before. Or, def related to nerve issues. My husband jumps in his sleep, but no surgery or injury (actually, with most guys I have dated, they do this). I used to do it too at times, but lately mine have been like said above, one body part, and the jerk is more severe. I am awake many times too. I think you def have to try and figure out if it is just a normal thing or b/c of your injury. I am redundant, huh? BUT, that is the hardest part!!!!

Old 11-29-2004, 12:35 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mistina HB User

I stopped taking the meds so I'm not sure about that. I did it occasionally before but NOT this bad. Everyone does it to an extent but this is totally rediculous. I don't know if I'm making it worse cause I stay so tense in order to avoid it or what. I have no clue. I'm waiting to hear from the doctor to see if I can get something for it or something to make me fall asleep very quickly. I don't think I do it much when asleep just when FALLING asleep. It's is so weird.

Closed Thread