It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2004, 05:37 PM   #1
TxHunni42

Positive Post - 9 weeks post-op Fusion

Had another post-op appointment today. Tomorrow will officially be 10 weeks post-op from decompression/lami with fusion of L5-S1. The doc asked me if I thought the surgery was worth it. Odd question since I literally couldn't walk into his office on the day of surgery and now I toodle all around the place.

I'm off all meds for back pain. He thought I was nuts and couldn't believe I wasn't taking anything at all. (I told him I was almost 10 weeks post-op, it was time to get on with it).

I'm still having trouble with those darn ol' zingers, and was given new medicine for that - since the Topamax made my insides burn up and I thought I was going to die. I am now suppose to take Keppra and Ultracet for those, but am relunctant to do so.

I now have a tens unit - again for the zingers. Hopefully it will work and I can bypass the meds all together.

Each week gets easier and better.
The strength and endurance still isn't there. The doctor said I wasn't being patient enough - that it could take 6 months to recover from surgery itself and up to a year before I feel like I could take on everything. He did say, however, that it's a good sign that I'm getting impatient and crabby with the whole mess though.

I'm still not back to work. Once the strength and endurance comes around a bit I can go back. It's hard to sit for long periods of time at a computer/desk.

The in-home physical therapy ended today. Now I will move to out-patient PT. The doctor didn't like the idea of water therapy. He said he wanted me working up a sweat. (sure...HE's not the one doing it). From that I got that maybe the water therapy was too low impact? I dunno. I liked the idea and might just putz around in the pool on my own.

So far, I'm glad I had the surgery. I feel better. I do still have some aches and pains here and there (mostly when I wake up in the morning) but I don't hurt anywhere near what I did 10 weeks ago.

What a slow process.
Hunni

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2004, 06:49 PM   #2
(female)

texasmary HB User
Re: Positive Post - 9 weeks post-op Fusion

So glad to hear a positive post... I really like seeing the good news... a real encouragement. I think I'm doing well also at 3 weeks and 3 days past my surgery. Today I was on my feet doing stuff for over an hour. Before my surgery, I would not have been able to stand for 15 minutes. Of course now I can only sit about 15 minutes whereas before I could sit all day. But I think that will improve soon. I walked almost a half mile twice today. Not bad for someone with two big incisions and rods and screws in back. Thanks for the encouragement, Hunni. Best wishes, Mary in Texas

Old 11-18-2004, 11:19 PM   #3
Veteran

AlSmith HB User

I am so glad to see you both are doing so well. I think it is so important for people to see success stories so they can realize that there is a real chance for them to get better.

Hunni, I hope the Keppra helps with those darn zingers. I am still doing well on Neurontin although I am still a bit dopey. It is possible that I am a bit dopey even when I don't take it. Let me know how it works for you if you decide to take it.

Mary, was it you that was trying to figure out how to get home from the hospital? If so, I would like to hear how you managed. Keep up the walking. It is so cool to set a milestone like half a mile and reach it. It makes me want to cheer everytime I read something like that.

Alan

Old 11-19-2004, 02:13 AM   #4

ch04 HB User

well done

im now 31 days post op 360 L5S1 PLIF fusion

i do hope i feel the same has you at your stage

all is going well on my front i thk , still on meds getting round well walking lots

had xrays yesterday doc was very happy could see the plug of bone thay put in before the cages it was stating to grow

well done again

Chris

Old 11-19-2004, 07:28 AM   #5
(female)

texasmary HB User

Al, yes it was me who was trying to figure out the best way to get home from the hospital several weeks ago. After being in the hospital 5 days, it turned out that I was not really in that much pain at the time they released me. They gave me a good dose of hydrocodone and muscle relaxer before leaving the hospital. We decided it would be easier getting into my car which is low to the ground than climbing up into a van. So I rode home in the front seat of my Honda with a pillow behind me to absorb road bumps. The worst part was when I got to our little town which has a red brick main street... pretty bumpy! As with most everything else on this journey, all my worrying was not needed. God always provides a way. And I am so thankful for all the good folks on this message board who have helpful advice and words of encouragement. Best wishes, Mary in Texas

Old 11-19-2004, 07:48 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

After fusion from L3-S1 on 6/15 I went home with no pain meds. The zingers come and go so fast there isn't time to take anything for them. If I do a little too much at the Y my back aches, but I put my brace on and sometimes sleep with it on and I'm fine the next day. My PT is ending but I'll keep going to the Y. I did a mile on the treadmill the other day and I exercise in the pool twice a week.
fly

Closed Thread