It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2004, 07:02 PM   #1

Carmaanne HB User
Pain Patch, does it work or not?

My husband had a L5S1 antirior and postior fusion and is in so much pain they put him on the pain patch. His dose is 75 mcg/hr ... The physician claims that he should not be concious even at this dose. What will work? He has so much scar tissue that epidurals won't even penatrate?
HELP ANY SUGGESTIONS WELCOME

Carmaanne

Old 11-21-2004, 10:20 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User
Re: Pain Patch, does it work or not?

Shouldn't they have him on some kind of IV? Morphine pump?

There are some people who don't react to pain meds. They are stumped as to what to do with them.

What else has been tried?

You don't give a time line. When was the surgery?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2004, 06:46 AM   #3
(male)

MNMHUB HB User
Lightbulb Re: Pain Patch, does it work or not?

If This Patch Is Fentanyl (probaly Mis Spelled That) &7.5 Dose Some Of Those Were Recalled Due To Overdose & Death From It I Have Talked To Two People That Have Lost Loved Ones Because Of That. It Was Developed In The 1950s For Use As Anathesia For Surgey & Can Be Very Addictive. I Would Suggest A Medecine Called Anvinza It Is Time Release Morphine It Comes In Doses Of 30, 60, 90 ,120 Mg It Is Addictive But Alot Safer Then The Patches. Although If You Stop Taking It You Will Need Your Dr. Help With The Withdrawals. Hope This Helps & Does'nt Freak You Out. This Was Relayed To Me By My Pain Managment Dr.

Old 11-24-2004, 07:30 AM   #4

Carmaanne HB User

my husbands surgeries were both done open. One from the front and the other from the back side. He has massive amounts of scar tissue.
Yesterday they were talking of a spinal stimulator to try as a last resort.
They are going to increase his dose of the durgesic fentinol patch and put him on oxycodone for break through pain?! This is his pain management docs request!!!!!
I don't know anything other then I wish they could find something to help him. We have a almost 2 year old daughter and im already disabled...

His surgeries were july of 02 and july of 03...

thanks for any and all help/suggestions

Carmaanne

Old 11-24-2004, 06:54 PM   #5

Carmaanne HB User

The surgeon is the one who sent us away.... for pain management =-(

carmaanne

Old 11-24-2004, 08:00 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

CancerDad HB User

Hey,
My surgeon sent me to my oncologist for my pain management therapy. I am on 1oomcg of Duragesic and 10mg oxycodone every 4hrs for breakthru. The patches do make you tired, and sometimes I wonder if they work as well as oxycontin might. I do take the break thrus. He did work me up to 100mcg though. My pain (they say) is from lots of scar tissue and radiation damage and nerve damage during surgeries.

Good luck. And, keep us updated.

Regards,
CancerDad

Old 11-24-2004, 09:50 PM   #7

Carmaanne HB User

Today he started on the 100mcg patches and they are going to do vicodin for the break through.
His last surgery was 7/28/04 sorry if i made a typo. The surgeon thinks he is God and that he couldn't have anything in there wrong. It was the pain doc that was just in awe over all of the scar tissue. We go back to meet with her on the 7th of december. I will bring it to her attention about finding a surgeon to remove the tissue. I think due to the location of it, is why the 2 surgeons and the pain mgmt doc are saying they can not do anything about it. His pain is the same and in different locations. He will fall down due to who knows what. It is like his knees buckle and down he goes. I think personally it is from pain. He is starting w/ a new psycologist on dec. 6th as he is very depressed and bordering suicidal. He was a roofer when he got injured and he has been told he won't roof again. He is devistated as he is our main breadwinner.
His pain is over coming him and swallowing him whole. I don't know what to do for him. I don't want him to have a life of pain meds... I want him to be full of life like he used to be, at least to a degree.
Thank you all for all of your comments and concerns...

carmaanne

Old 11-25-2004, 11:44 AM   #8

Marg001 HB User

[QUOTE=Carmaanne]Today he started on the 100mcg patches and they are going to do vicodin for the break through.
His last surgery was 7/28/04 sorry if i made a typo. The surgeon thinks he is God and that he couldn't have anything in there wrong. It was the pain doc that was just in awe over all of the scar tissue. We go back to meet with her on the 7th of december. I will bring it to her attention about finding a surgeon to remove the tissue. I think due to the location of it, is why the 2 surgeons and the pain mgmt doc are saying they can not do anything about it. His pain is the same and in different locations. He will fall down due to who knows what. It is like his knees buckle and down he goes. I think personally it is from pain. He is starting w/ a new psycologist on dec. 6th as he is very depressed and bordering suicidal. He was a roofer when he got injured and he has been told he won't roof again. He is devistated as he is our main breadwinner.
His pain is over coming him and swallowing him whole. I don't know what to do for him. I don't want him to have a life of pain meds... I want him to be full of life like he used to be, at least to a degree.
Thank you all for all of your comments and concerns...

carmaanne[/QUOTE]

Dear Carmanne,

I very much sympathize from where you are coming from! I myself am a sufferer of Chronic back pain. I have a bulging disc and disc degeneration and also a Harrington Rod and Fusion which was done a long time ago. I was in a lot of pain. The Doc want to do an operation, but right now I am refusing because my pain is tolerable. I am on 50mcg of the Fentenyl patch and Oxycodone(Percocet) for breakthrough pain. It has been helping a great deal, but for the past 2 days I have been having severe pain in my hips, probably due to Osteoarthritis. I can understand your wanting to help your Husband but sometimes when sombody is in pain they have to first accept what they are going through. What I mean by that is that I had myself come to grips with never being able to work again. It was very hard, but with the support I have, I can finally accept it. I think all your Husband needs right now is your support and your confidence and your strength, because sometimes we needs the strength of two people. I hope and pray that everything turns out allright for you both, and I wish you well. Take good care!!!
P.S. The Fentenyl patch is not as bad as what some people say it is!!

M.S
Two months later had to go back and have Illestomy closed.
Now almost 1 year having chronic lower back pain due to Spondylolesthesis, and DDD, and also still have a 31 degree curse to back.
Also have a dextro-scoliosis and a levo-scoliosis.

Old 11-26-2004, 08:44 PM   #9

Carmaanne HB User

thanks for your support m.s.
i suffer from chronic pain and am disabled myself. it is hard w/ a almost 2 year old and such a bleak outlook for my husband. I do thank the heavens each day though for what little we do have. =-)

just wish there was something they could do for him

carmaanne

Old 12-08-2004, 12:24 PM   #10

Marg001 HB User

[QUOTE=Carmaanne]thanks for your support m.s.
i suffer from chronic pain and am disabled myself. it is hard w/ a almost 2 year old and such a bleak outlook for my husband. I do thank the heavens each day though for what little we do have. =-)

just wish there was something they could do for him

carmaanne[/QUOTE]
Hi Carmaanne, Just thought I would drop you a line and see how you are doing. I just seen the message you left, I have been really slow lately in replying to anybody!! I hope that things are better and let me know how you are doing. Take good care!

M.S.
Two months later had to go back and have Illestomy closed.
Now almost 1 year having chronic lower back pain due to Spondylolesthesis, and DDD, and also still have a 31 degree curse to back.
Also have a dextro-scoliosis and a levo-scoliosis.

Old 12-08-2004, 04:58 PM   #11
(male)

promodcamaro HB User

I have been using the Duragesic patch for about 2 years. I use the size 50 microgram/hr. I think that I am building resistance to the patch because the pain in my back is getting worse. I don't think that my back is getting worse though. I am considering the spinal stimulator also. My pain doc will not install a dose pump. He says that you build resistance to the medication that way also. Then what do you do when you need serious pain control.... Anyway, the patch does work to lower the pain level.

Old 12-12-2004, 09:52 PM   #12

Carmaanne HB User

well here is the latest update
they would like to do a percutainuous trial w/ a spinal stimulator on him. he has said no, that he isn't ready for another procedure just yet...
they upped his fentanol patch to 125mcg/hr!!! and vicodine for breakthrough pain. ugh
he is still complaining about the pain. ... I don't know what to do.... the surgeon said he has done all he can and that his work is flawless not his fault about the scar tissue and nothing he can do about it... so now we just deal w/ the pain doc which is what everyone seems to recommend to us.. (all the docs around here anyways)
I don't know what else to do.. He started with a psychotherapist so I hope maybe that will help some.

Carmaanne

Closed Thread