It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2004, 11:59 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User
Unhappy Want me to go to a Occupational doctor for evaluation...HELP PLEASE!!!!

Hey All...

Well, I got a call from my disability insurance company this morning, they called and said they want to send me to one of their Doctors of Occupational Medicine, my response was basically so you want to send me to a Workmans Comp Doc.... Right??? The guy basically said... Well, Yes.... and I said.. well this is not a workers comp issue.. and he said...Yeah we know, we want to send you to our Doctor to have you evaluated to see what your limitations and your ability to work are.....so my question is..... I have seen some of you post on here about yourself or a spouse having to go for a Occupational Evaluation.... can anyone fill me in on what to expect? What do they do? What do I need to know? HELP PLEASE??!!! I know this doctor works for my disability insurance company and their priority is to say I am ok to work....Which is not possible.. I can hardly walk, I am actually walking with a cane now...

Please Please if anyone can fill me in on exactly what they do and what I need to expect, it would be so helpful... Thank You!

Take Care.

Old 12-06-2004, 01:15 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Haw'nCarl HB User
Re: Want me to go to a Occupational doctor for evaluation...HELP PLEASE!!!!

Aloha TWR,

I feel your anxiety; first off, spiking your blood pressure and stressing out over this will just make things worse. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and go through the hoops. I can only tell you of my experience; it may be a little different with their doctor. Iím sure he (or she) will take some range of motion measurements and evaluate your gait (way of walking), then they will probably give you some form of physical capacity tests such as having you lift a milk carton with a progression of weights from the floor to your waist, then from your waist to your shoulders, then carrying the box, pushing, pulling, and rolling a variety of apparatus, they may also attach a wireless device to you that measures physical exertion, pulse, BP, etc. It may last any where from 45 minutes to several hours. Just do what you can and donít push yourself. They have a way of making it seem like you should try and push your limits. It is not a competition, it is just a physical capacity evaluation, and they may just only have an interview with you with range of motion measurements and minimal physical capacity tests, itís really hard to say how thorough they will be, but it is not worth stressing over and making your pain worse. Good Luck with it, I will look forward to your follow up posts giving us all the details.

HíC

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2004, 03:29 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

cookie51 HB User

HI ,
I am on w/c and just had an evaluation, and they put you thru a series of tasks, like lifting, using stairs,pushing and pulling etc. They just want to see what your limitaions are for going back to work. I agree with carls message, and can add dont take meds. before test, let them see what your pain is really like.
Good luck
cookie

Old 12-06-2004, 04:24 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

[QUOTE=cookie51]HI ,
I am on w/c and just had an evaluation, and they put you thru a series of tasks, like lifting, using stairs,pushing and pulling etc. They just want to see what your limitaions are for going back to work. I agree with carls message, and can add dont take meds. before test, let them see what your pain is really like.
Good luck
cookie[/QUOTE]

Ok, so then my next question is, I have not been actually released by the surgeon that did my surgery to be able to lift more then 5lbs...to push and pull, etc... I am still on my restrictions, and all the other doctors I have seen between now and then have told me to continue to follow those restrictions, So how much do they have you lift? And are they allowed to have you lift more then your limit or restrictions? I am not going to do that and make myself hurt worse..... If they want you to bend over and pick something up and you can't, do you just say... "I can't do that!" because I can not bend at the waist, I can not stoop, or squat, because the pain in my legs gets worse....I am to the point now I am walking with a cane because my pain is so bad....What do I do when the pain is to the point I cant tolerate it, Do I tell them I am stopping because I can't do it? Thats the worry I have, I AM NOT going to push myself into more pain and make it worse or chance hurting myself more just for their stupid evaluation....Thanks for your response... really appreciate it...Will keep ya informed...

Take Care.

Old 12-06-2004, 04:31 PM   #5
(male)

Jafo HB User
Exclamation Re: Want me to go to a Occupational doctor for evaluation...HELP PLEASE!!!!

Intruder Alert!!!! I am actually a w/c claims investigator for a living, and I often see you all talking about insurance matters... I just thought you might like to see it from the other side. My experience (20 years worth) is that the Ins. companies are NOT always the bad guys you think they are. By and large, they just want a competant evaluation of what is necessary to do to get it done, and if it is justified do it and get it done fast, and move on.

When I go out on a case, and tell the adjuster the applicant looks hurt, they say ok, close down the investigation, and pay the claim fast. When attorneys get involved, everything moves MUCH SLOWER. Again, I know there are bad companies out there, but there is a lot of fraud, too, which REALLY hurts me and you.

For a little irony, my back is probably injured from sitting surveillance in a cramped vehicle, and I am not even eligible for w/c, cuz I am the owner of my company!

Last edited by Jafo; 12-06-2004 at 04:32 PM.

Old 12-06-2004, 04:46 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

[SIZE=2]If mine were workmans comp, then that would be different, but mine isn't. but I do understand what you are saying, but I have to say I truly feel that 90% of these doctors do actually work for the Insurance companies....but thanks for a honest response.

Take Care.[/SIZE]

Old 12-06-2004, 05:50 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

cookie51 HB User

Hi ,
What kind of job do you do texas? Does it involve heavy lifting? Thats why they do the evaluation, to see what you are able to do. If you cant do what they ask, tell them, they dont what you to hurt yourself, just go and see and do what you can. Are you still under drs. care? Hope all goes well for you.
Have a good night
cookie

Old 12-06-2004, 07:11 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

[QUOTE=cookie51]Hi ,
What kind of job do you do texas? Does it involve heavy lifting? Thats why they do the evaluation, to see what you are able to do. If you cant do what they ask, tell them, they dont what you to hurt yourself, just go and see and do what you can. Are you still under drs. care? Hope all goes well for you.
Have a good night
cookie[/QUOTE]

Hi Cookie.... Yeah my job does involve lots of heavy lifting, being on your feet 8-10 hrs. a night lots of repetative movement.... bending, twisting, stooping, squating, pushing, pulling.....going up and down ladders...quite physical...... I work for Home Depot......I am a night stocker.....and with not being able to sit, stand or walk for long without having to lay down, I can't do much at all......and like I said in my other post.... I am walking with a cane now, to help me get around.....I am still under a doctors care, never been released by the doctor that did my surgery back in June either... and the doctors I have seen between then and now have all told me to go ahead and follow the restrictions and such my doc that preformed the surgery gave me.....I am currently under a Neurologist and a Pain Management Doctors care......seeing a Plastic surgeon on Thursday for a possible breast reduction, my neurologist referred me there, said he felt it would be a good idea.... and I have an appointment with a Pyschologist on Friday for depression... So I have doctors comming out the ying yang... anyway... Thanks for the response... I will only do what I can, and if they don't like it to bad........Take Care..

April

Old 12-06-2004, 08:19 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

cookie51 HB User

Hi April,
Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble, did you have back surgery? Also why did your dr. not put you on light duty? I dont see how they can have you working at the same job with lifting, they should have you on light duty. I hope you tell your dr. that you are doing heavy work, you just had surgery in june, it takes people time to heal, and if you went back to work too soon maybe you caused more problems that are affecting the surgery you had done. I will keep you in my prayers and hope you find some answers that will help with your recovery.
take care
cookie

Old 12-06-2004, 08:34 PM   #10
(female)

tammys HB User

Hi, I just read about you being sent to an Occupational Doctor. I also went thru that when I applied for disability. I knew that the doctor worked for disability, but I didn't worry any. I knew my limitations with my back and also depend on a cane for most of my mobility. The doctor they sent me to sent his report in to disability and it was in my favor. After 2 1/2 years, I have finally been approved for disability. The occupational testing they do is a series of test to determine your limitations. I agree with an earlier post to not take any pain meds before you go in for this, but be ready to take it as soon as the test are over. I have had 2 back surgeries and will never be able to work again. My limitations placed on me by my surgeon are basically the same as they were 2 weeks after surgery. I am facing a 3rd surgery in the near future. Just hang in there with the occupational doctor. He may work for disability, but he has to be fair and he has to file his report to disability correctly. If he was not honest and told them you could go back to work doing something that will hurt you......he can be held liable. Good Luck!!!

Tammy

Old 12-06-2004, 08:44 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

[QUOTE=cookie51]Hi April,
Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble, did you have back surgery? Also why did your dr. not put you on light duty? I dont see how they can have you working at the same job with lifting, they should have you on light duty. I hope you tell your dr. that you are doing heavy work, you just had surgery in june, it takes people time to heal, and if you went back to work too soon maybe you caused more problems that are affecting the surgery you had done. I will keep you in my prayers and hope you find some answers that will help with your recovery.
take care
cookie[/QUOTE]

Hi Cookie, I am not working......I have not been working since this past March...... My doctor told me not to work at all......Not even light duty.... since I can not sit, stand or walk for more then about 15 min without having to go and lay down flat for about 45 min..Thats the only way I get even slight relief.....I take Vicodin for the pain, and it puts me to sleep....I have nerve damage from the herniation I had at L5-S1, I had surgery back in June for it......The S1 Nerve Root is damaged.....I have severe chronic radiculopathy...in my right leg, and mild radiculopathy in my left leg.... numbing, and weakness in the right.....absent reflexes in the right.... there is no way I can work..... and having to walk with a cane to even be able to walk makes it hard...... I can't even bend over to put my own shoes and socks on...
When my doctor filled out my paperwork for my long term disability he put on there I could not lift over 5 lbs..... I can not sit, stand or walk for more then 10-15 min.....without having to go lay down.....no twisting, stooping, squating... etc etc.....then he added in the additional restrictions....."I feel that this patient can not work at this time, and a return to work date is still undetermined.." So anyway, this is why my Long term disability insurance company is sending me to their doctor for the occupational functional capacity evaluation... because they basically in my opinion want someone else to say that they feel I can go to work, and who better to do that then a doctor that works for them..... Anyway... thats where thing are for now.... Thanks again for the responses.... Take Care.

Old 12-06-2004, 08:46 PM   #12
(female)

mink HB User

Hi TWR, sorry to hear your stressing, dont..... just do the best you can as you would if at home, dont make the mistake I did, I was trying my hardest to do all he asked me to ,truthfully an honestly I did, my mistake was I sat way too long answering questions in a booklet trying my hardest to answer best I could, well stupid me I know I cant sit for long but I wanted to get finished an go home. By the time I was done I could barely move, well needless to say when I got home I was so sore I ended up being in bed for the next 3 days sore, stiff, locked in pain, after being there 3 hrs as it was I just wanted to be done. I am not a person to waited on or worse admit that I cannot do what I use to. My husband gets so upset with me because I am having a hard time accepting all this Back Stuff I am stubborn an end up doing more than I should, mind you I am only capable of a certain amount now, but I try to do more an always end up paying for it later, pain, no sleep, weak etc.Its finally sinking in mentally I have to listen to my body as we all are learning. I want to get back into the real world, its lonely here in BackWorld. Bottomline it was held against me (timesitting) I wish he could have seen me afterwards. I was cut off the benefits an had to start all over. My own stupidity. Sorry I rambled on Please dont stress over this. Mink

Old 12-06-2004, 08:53 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

Hi Mink... See I have the same problem... I can not sit for very long at all either... no more then 15 min max...... but I can not stand for longer then that either..... I do ALOT of laying down... so how do I handle this at the evaluation... because I dont want sitting or standing to long to be held against me, and then be cut off from my benefits..... Any suggestions?? Thanks.

Last edited by TexasWildRose04; 12-06-2004 at 08:54 PM. Reason: spelling correction

Old 12-06-2004, 10:49 PM   #14
(female)

mink HB User

Hey TWR As I said just do your best, if you have to stop stand sit just be honest, dont overdo, pretend your at home, if you have to stop an stand for a moment then do it, they have to see how much you are in pain, as I said I was stupid an wanted out of there, what a mistake. If you cant do it at home then thay have to see it there too. I cant retype my Back stuff but I think you can check out my 1st post. I wish you luck its not that bad just be you. Mink

Old 12-07-2004, 05:09 AM   #15

mammie501 HB User

yes this a repley to the w/c person, my experience with w/c they rec. my restriction from the Dr. and never let me know or gave them to me, did not find out till i reinjured self and had to get a lawyer, real nice.

Closed Thread