It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2004, 11:58 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User
Question Sharp Sharp Pain at the base of my Tailbone... Anyone had this???

[SIZE=2]Hey guys... amongst everything else that is wrong with me.... Now I have started to experience a very Sharp pain at the base of my tailbone... just started within the last couple days....and It really hurts bad...Its kinda hard to describe... it's sorta a cross between a stabbing feeling and pressure......Has anyone experienced this? Maybe somebody has a suggestions of what it could be....I don't go back to my Pain Management doctor until 12/29... but you can bet I'm making a list of stuff to tell him about...Any input would be greatly appreciated..... Ya'll Take Care.[/SIZE]

Last edited by TexasWildRose04; 12-08-2004 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Correction

Old 12-12-2004, 01:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SpinalMalady HB UserSpinalMalady HB User
Smile Re: Sharp Sharp Pain at the base of my Tail bone... Anyone had this???

HI TWR:

I just had a lumbar discectomy on Friday, and before that I had what I described that it felt as if my "[B]TAILBONE WAS BROKEN[/B]". The doc said this is common in L5-S1 problems. My L-5 rupture has crushed my S-1 nerve. Fortunately, my surgery was a success, I have no more pain in my right leg or my butt! The tailbone feels fine. The only pain I have is surgical pain.

Is you problem L-5/S-1??? If so perhaps this is the reason. Doc told me the nerve wraps around that tailbone area, so the pain radiates thru the buttock and to the tailbone.

Hope that helped, sorry I didn't see the post before. I've been in so much pain recently, I had not been posting at all....

Finally after 16 weeks of 24/7 intense pain (I know that's a relatively small number compared to some of you who have had years), I am now only struggling with surgical pain...there is no way that I will do [B]ANYTHING [/B] that might even in the slightest way compromise this surgery....

But I have a wonderful support system, my family, and my hubby...are wonderful, and won't let me do anything...so I'm blessed there.

Good luck to you! I hope you find out what the culprit of your problem is!
Take care, and be safe.

Becky

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2004, 08:49 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User
Re: Sharp Sharp Pain at the base of my Tail bone... Anyone had this???

[QUOTE=bgsigns]HI TWR:

I just had a lumbar discectomy on Friday, and before that I had what I described that it felt as if my "[B]TAILBONE WAS BROKEN[/B]". The doc said this is common in L5-S1 problems. My L-5 rupture has crushed my S-1 nerve. Fortunately, my surgery was a success, I have no more pain in my right leg or my butt! The tailbone feels fine. The only pain I have is surgical pain.

Is you problem L-5/S-1??? If so perhaps this is the reason. Doc told me the nerve wraps around that tailbone area, so the pain radiates thru the buttock and to the tailbone.

Hope that helped, sorry I didn't see the post before. I've been in so much pain recently, I had not been posting at all....

Finally after 16 weeks of 24/7 intense pain (I know that's a relatively small number compared to some of you who have had years), I am now only struggling with surgical pain...there is no way that I will do [B]ANYTHING [/B] that might even in the slightest way compromise this surgery....

But I have a wonderful support system, my family, and my hubby...are wonderful, and won't let me do anything...so I'm blessed there.

Good luck to you! I hope you find out what the culprit of your problem is!
Take care, and be safe.

Becky[/QUOTE]

Hi... Thanks for your response.... Yes my problem is or was at L5-S1... I had a laminectomy/discectomy back in June....for a 9mm herniation that was pressing on both my left and right nerve...with the butt, leg...calf, foot pain etc.... after surgery my pain went away completely.... but after about 2 weeks or so, it gradually started to return, now it has returned, and is even in the left side now... and also the tailbone pain......EMG says I have nerve damage of S1.....Anyway thanks for the response to my post... Hope your recovery from surgery turns out good for you....

Take Care.....

Old 12-12-2004, 09:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

beachgirl01 HB User

Hi there,
Just wanted to add that I have also recently started having the same problem with my tailbone and my problems are at and around L5-S1. I don't see my doctor for another month so I was kind of glad to come across this post. Anyway, take care. Kristy.

Old 12-13-2004, 08:27 AM   #5
(female)

texasmary HB User

I'm almost 7 weeks post-op from L5-S1 fusion. I have just started having sharp pains in my tailbone the past couple of weeks and have been wondering what is going on. Never had that pain before. I'm wondering if the slight straightening they did on my spine with rods/screws is affecting the overall balance of my spine... and maybe more pressure is now on the tailbone?? Also, I am doing a lot more these days... walking, shopping, on my feet a lot. My pain is pretty much when I sit or when I have been standing a while. Have surgeon's appt tomorrow and plan to ask about this. If I get any helpful answer... I'll share.

Mary in Texas

Old 12-13-2004, 09:00 PM   #6

iearnmom HB User

Yes, I too have a terrible pain in my tailbone. I can't sit more than 5-10 min at a time. I have the same L5-s-1 problems. I have 3 bulged discs. Had 3 epidurals. NO relief from that. Am seeking Chiro care. Pain for me a 24-7. Can't stand it. Need some help. Trying everday to cope. Good luck to you. Please post any helpful info onto all us suffering folk out here. Thanks...iearn

Old 12-14-2004, 11:21 AM   #7
(female)

wimzie HB User

I've had the exact same pain for about two weeks now. It's not getting any better, and it's not like I fell or bruised myself. It's the weirdest thing. I have compressed discs in my neck, but I wasn't aware of any other back problems. I also have right side abdominal pain and am having an ultrasound tomorrow.

This tailbone thing is just killing me though. I work at a computer all day and it's hard sitting for so long.

Old 12-14-2004, 11:38 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

my guess with the pain post surgery, could be that the nerves there are inflammed, maybe due to the healing process. Scar tissue can also irritate those nerves and make you feel like the problem is starting all over again. Once, before I had my diskectomy, I sneezed and omg, I almost flew out of my car the pain was so intense in my tailbone. After surgery, if I slipped, or made an unexpected movement, my nerves got inflammed and pain returned. My dr said this was b/c the scar tissue prevents the nerves from being flexible like they were before surgery, hence they don't stretch, they get pulled and that irritates them and causes pain. That help a little?

Old 12-14-2004, 07:25 PM   #9
(female)

texasmary HB User

Well, I saw my surgeon today (7 weeks post-op) and saw my post-op xrays... cannot believe the size of those screws they put in... I thought they would be little, not 2-3 inches long!!! I asked about the tailbone pain and he said it would get better eventually... that it was due to more pressure being put on the vertebrae above and below the surgery site. So that was about all the explanation I got... hope it gives some encouragement.
Mary in Texas

Old 12-15-2004, 10:26 AM   #10
(female)

ladybird988 HB Userladybird988 HB User

I had a microdisectomy at L4/L5 and have damage to the nerve sheath and got drop foot. after surgery I could not sit and 5 1/2 months later, I still cannot sit. Until a month ago, if I sat at all it felt like my tailbone was being pried apart by a knife. Now I can sit for five minutes, but it just aggravates the back and I'm in pain for days. Saw doctor this week and he said to keep ALL pressure off the tailbone, that it was due to the inflammed nerve AND the fact that he cleaned out that disk and that disk will never be the same and that can be reflected in the tail bone area. I told him sitting a little inflammes it worse, and the only way I got any better was to take him word for word and NOT sit OR recline for 3 months. I lay and stand. Reclining puts pressure there too. He too said it would take time. He told me to take Aleve, and wanted me to take prednisone to bring down inflammation but I opted out of that. He told me some people recover right away after surgery because their nerve sheath is only bruised (the sheath covers the nerve or axon) and my sheath was punctured. Have fun. It's horrible.

Closed Thread