It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2004, 07:27 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

jayboy557 HB User
spasms/horrible when laying down

my spasms have gotten so bad after my discectomy. it's been a month and i cant tell if my lower back is better because the spasms go all the way up my back and even to the side. when lying down, if i sniffle to hard or sneeze my middle back kills me until i walk around for a while. i havent been active for a long time since my back injury. i wonder if this could be muscular now. anyone have this type of spasms. thanks, jason.

Old 12-26-2004, 07:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User
Re: spasms/horrible when laying down

I was having spasms six months after my micro, but more when sitting up. Are you getting more active during the day? Could be the muscles trying to relax when you lie down, but spasm then b/c of the activity during the day. I had to get muscle relaxers, have you asked for those? I would take them every night. I know men aren't prone to baths, but try taking a nice warm bath with epsom salt and see if that helps. Calgon has a great bubble bath with epsom salt, lavender and chamomile and it says that it helps you relax and is a pain reliever with the salt. I loved it. Then, you could lie on your stomach after with an ice pack. Try deep breathing? I wish I could give you a def. answer. Spasms suck, no matter how you look at them or get them. If you go for the bath, maybe do some light stretches prior?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2004, 08:52 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SpinalMalady HB UserSpinalMalady HB User

Jason:

My micro-discectomy was on 12/10 and I started having really bad back spasams and awful "zingers" two days before Christmas...I was so bummed and scared, but I called my Dr...and he said it was very normal....Doc asked me if I had any muscle relaxers and I had some sample packs of sklexain...he told me to try them and if it didn't work to call back and he would call something else in....so I took one...but in like four hours it had not touched the muscle spasms...so he called me in some Zanaflex....that seems to have done the trick for me...

Still having the zingers...but the spasams are much better....I take the muscle relaxer 3X a day....My follow up is Jan 4th...got caught up in the Holidays so my follow up is a little more than the 3 weeks...but I will discuss these things with him when I see him....He's not concerned about anything going on...did say stay in touch if I need him...But seems to think it's all "normal healing process"...

Must say I'm feeling much better!

Try contacting your doc and ask if he thinks this is normal or ask if you can try muscle relaxers like mel said.

I don't have a tub, (I only have a marble shower with a seat in it)...but I do get in a very hot shower and just let it pour down on my back!!!! I love that! I use an Aveno Lavender Body wash that is an aroma therapy relaxing body wash....so if you're not into tubs that is an option... It feels great on the incision too...but I'm only two weeks post op!

I sure hope you get to feeling better soon...I know the back spasms suck! And the zingers make me say foul things...it's like I have touretts or something.....

Feel better soon Jason!

Bg

Old 12-26-2004, 09:51 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

jayboy557 HB User

thanks yall. my spasm wake my up at night. i to am taking zanaflex or what ever its called. works well. i just feel so terrible having to take these meds. i feel rotten taking them but worse not taking them. good luck to you as well. jason

Old 12-27-2004, 06:12 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jessie1 HB User

I had muscle spasms after my discectomy as well. I found that it helped me a lot if I was more active during the day. That is, if I laid around a lot, the spasms got worse, but if I moved around they got better, even at night while I was sleeping. Good luck!

Old 12-27-2004, 10:44 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

[QUOTE=jayboy557]thanks yall. my spasm wake my up at night. i to am taking zanaflex or what ever its called. works well. i just feel so terrible having to take these meds. i feel rotten taking them but worse not taking them. good luck to you as well. jason[/QUOTE]

I don't think any of us loading up our bodies with these meds, but at times we need to. Take the meds for the spasms til the muscles are healed. Muscle spams are very painful & can & do spread all over the back. Can make your whole body sore.

Closed Thread