It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2005, 08:34 AM   #1
(male)

Ben W HB User
Question Water skiing after back surgery???

Hello all and happy new year. I am 16 days post L5-S1 microdiscectomy. This forum has given me encouragement since I have pain in my legs and numbess. My Neuro didn't advise me that these would still be there after surgury, but the posts I have read here have been very informative. It looks like I am luckier than some and not as lucky as others. Guess on balance that's a good thing. I came off the Tylox within 10 days of the surgery. Though I did take one last night....why be in pain for new years eve? Walked two miles yesterday. Does anyone know about the prospects for being able to waterski again after this type of surgery. Should I just sell the boat now?
Just curious. Hope all you are getting better soon.
Ben

Old 01-01-2005, 08:49 AM   #2
(female)

CocoandChase HB User
Re: Water skiing after back surgery???

Please be careful, just ask your doctor and go with your gut instinct on what you can and cannot do.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2005, 04:29 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Losy HB User

Hi

I water skied some years aftre my fusion and it was the biggest misake I ever made. It was the catalyst behind what is now an ongoing and painful back problem. It may have never been a problem had I not taken the risk - the risk resulted in a fall. Its something you need to discuss with your dr and in the end your the only one who can make that decision and you are the one who has to live with any consequences if they were to occur - good luck and I hope you continue to do well

Old 01-09-2005, 09:29 AM   #4
(male)

Ben W HB User
Feels like a clamp on my left foot....

20 days post surgery....
Mostly good, have been walking 2 to 3 miles a day, but there is an increase in foot pain. Sometimes it feels like someone has a big pair of pliers clamping down on my heel. Anyone else have this problem??
Ben

Old 01-09-2005, 10:37 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User
Re: Feels like a clamp on my left foot....

I wouldn't be too concerned, Ben. It will take a long time for that nerve to come around. My foot feels like it used to when I had been out on the pond ice skating for hours on end. Had it with the last surgery too... could take a year or more (even a couple) to come around. Pain in the butt. Sometimes they come around sooner. Nothing you can do other than to keep moving it, making sure the blood/oxygen flow to it properly.

Old 01-09-2005, 11:14 AM   #6
(male)

Ben W HB User

Thanks Tex,
I was thinking about skipping out on my walk today, but your words will get me off my butt. Guess I just need to be patient (a quality I am not wont to exhibit).
Ben

Old 01-09-2005, 11:49 AM   #7
Veteran

AlSmith HB User

Ben, I a had a micro-d at L5,S1 on August 16th. I am a snowbaorder and I was concerned I would not be able to do it anymore but my surgeon said as long as I don't take any more jumps, I should be fine. I have been up on the mountain twice so far this season with no problems other than a little soreness which I expected. Keep up the waking to strengthen your back so you can go next year.

Alan

Closed Thread