It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2005, 10:15 PM   #1
(female)

texasmary HB User
Question Burning painful big toes... new problem!!

Hi all ~

Well, I am 10 weeks post-op and I have been doing fairly well in healing and slowly getting back some normal parts of my life. But a new problem is really getting me down. I am having lots of burning, stabbing pain in both my big toes when I flex my toes or try to move something with my foot. Today I noticed that my left foot has a very tender area on top of the foot... when I touch it, it sends those sharp pains into my big toe. And my big toe is numb on the outside, but burning on the inside! Right after surgery, I had some tingling and numbness in all my toes, but this burning pain is fairly new and getting worse every day. When I look at the charts, it shows big toes are connected to the L4 disk... that is one of the disks that was worked on and which has two screws in it now. Anyone else experience anything similar? Any comments please?

Thanks, Mary in Texas

Old 01-04-2005, 05:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User
Re: Burning painful big toes... new problem!!

:::Raising hand::: ... yup ME!

If you haven't had it all along, there might be some fluid/inflammation in there causing the nerves to scream. Fortunately I have diruetics and when this happens I take one and it seems to help a little (not a lot, but a little). I also find that massage and exercise help.

Mention it to your doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2005, 06:41 AM   #3
(female)

texasmary HB User

Thanks, Hunni. I take a diuretic every morning (for blood pressure)... I'll start noticing if there is any difference in different times of the day. It does seem that the pain is worse at night... but all pain seems worse at night, doesn't it? It hurts to actually massage the toe or foot on the left side... just sends more pain into the toe. Or were you thinking massage on back or leg? Another friend with similar problem says that she soaks in a warm bath. I can't do that yet because my bone graft incision still has a small area which is open (yes, after ten weeks). This new wrinkle is coming at a time when I am trying to get off the hydrocodone completely, but I still am needing some at night to take the edge off the toe pain. Thanks, Mary in Texas

Old 01-04-2005, 06:55 AM   #4
(female)

aerorules HB User

The burning and tingling/numbness is probably from inflamation. I had it severely in both big toes prior to my surgery on Nov. 1. It went away right after surgery and now has returned but not as severe. I called my doctor and he said it was probably from moving the wrong way and "stirring up" some more inflamation. I have been taking omega-3 fatty acid capsules for inflamation and an occasional Naproxen and it seems to be controlling it for the most part. Hang in there, just a minor setback.

Old 01-04-2005, 02:37 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User

Make sure you don't take the naproxyn if you've had a fusion - at least until you're fully fused.

Massaging the back of your leg could help because it could loosen the muscle and perhaps let the muscle in the foot let go a little.

If you can't soak in a bath, can you soak just your foot (like up to your ankle). I do know warm water does relieve mine a bit.

Mine is so sensitive that even a pedicure bothered it at first... it has gotten better.

Old 01-04-2005, 06:15 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User

I think I would call the dr. who did the surgery...it may be nothing more than nerves objecting to the surgery itself, but I would check.

Carol
morphine pump

Closed Thread