It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2005, 07:48 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

jayboy557 HB User
neurontin/terrible feeling side effects

i took neurontin for a week almost and i feel terrible. i feel like i have the flu. my body aches and my neck hurts. i feel like i'm having withdrawals. has anyone had side effects from neurontin. i stopped taking them and pray they will go away soon. jayboy. oh yeah, my eyes are hurting so much

Last edited by jayboy557; 01-12-2005 at 07:49 PM.

Old 01-13-2005, 12:30 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User
Re: neurontin/terrible feeling side effects

I took it for 6 months with no problem. Toward the end prior to my surgery i was taking 2400 mg a day. A hint my dr gave me was to slowily up the dose over a week and when stopping wean off also. I think i started 1 300 a couple days, then took 2 then kept upping it until eventuall i was taking the 600mg 3-4 times a day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2005, 12:40 AM   #3
(female)

memawhurts HB User

It does sound like withdrawals. Have you had to stop any meds recently? I have been on Neurontin for a couple of years and the only real side effect I have had is extremely bad memory loss.

You may just need to give it a little more time. I hope it works out for you.
Memaw

Old 01-13-2005, 07:46 AM   #4

Texmom HB User

Neurontin gave me no pain relief and just made me sleepy. My pharmacist says for some, however, it is a miracle drug. Seems like you might just have gotten the flu.

Old 01-13-2005, 07:48 AM   #5
(female)

Madonna HB User

I dont like this medication at all. I heard on TV that there were class action law suits against it because it was being prescribed for uses other than originally intended. My husband was precribed it for pain and I refused to fill the prescription. My mother took it and said she could feel her mind digressing. My father took it and all he did was sleep all day.

I dont think a person should put anything in their body unless they HAVE to.
Do a seach on the web for neurontin law suits and you will find a lot of stuff.

Good luck and if I were you, I wouldnt take it anymore.

Old 01-13-2005, 08:34 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

I found that Neurontin doesn't work for everyone the same way.

Both my husband and I tried it. We had to ramp up and then ramp down. It didn't effect my husband the way that it effected me. It made me sleepy and loopy as heck. Both of us were up to 3600 at one point. It only made my husband's pain go away, no side effects. I guess it depends on your system. But then, when taking the same amount, I weigh 110, dripping wet and he weighs 185. Seemed silly to be given the same dosage.

It takes awhile to get used to, but if you can make it through the first few weeks of ramping up to the correct dosage, and it works for you, it can be a miracle drug for some.

Old 01-13-2005, 12:22 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

jayboy557 HB User

it wasn't the flu for sure. i feel better today. neurontin just didn't agree with me. thanks for the responses. i looked under side effects and flu like symptoms was one. thanks, again

Old 01-13-2005, 01:05 PM   #8
(male)

gustone HB User

I've been taking 1400mg daily since last week of Sept. Only get a little brain fog sometimes after the morning dose and burning in the stomach if I don't eat the moment I feel a hunger pain.

Old 01-13-2005, 05:16 PM   #9
(female)

mbg123 HB User

I am sorry it didn't provide relief.
Neurontin law suits does not mean its a bad drug though. I find it helpful to educate myself on what the drug is used for, side effects, etc. If a doctor has prescribed it for an off label use, a person should ask their doctor about that before taking it. Vioxx and Celebrex got in trouble for the same reasons...doctors prescribed for off label uses...higher than recommended doses..etc.

Old 01-13-2005, 05:18 PM   #10
(female)

mbg123 HB User

My last post sounded like I was being critical of your concern. I apologize. After it posted I read it again and it sounded awful. I just wanted to point out that every one needs to be careful like you and educate yourself and monitor your progress with your doctor. I apoligize if it came out any other way.

Old 01-13-2005, 09:36 PM   #11
Veteran

AlSmith HB User

There was not a class action lawsuit against Neurontin. Pfizer was find for promoting the drug for uses that it did not have FDA approval to promote it for. This does not mean it does not work for this. Neurontin has an indication for seizures but the vast majority of prescriptions are for nerve pain. Most doctors know it works well for nerve pain in some patients. Pfizer has no incentive to seek an FDA indication for nerve pain since it has gone generic. I take 1200 mg a day and it has been awesome for me. I know it does not work for everyone and some people do have side effects. Unless you have an idiot for a doctor, there is a reason they prescibe something for you. If you refuse to fill a prescription your doctor has given you, it sound like you do not trust him/her and need to find a doctor you trust more. I am sorry if this is a bit of a rant but I wanted to share what I know about Neurontin.

Jay, just because Neurontin didn't work for you does not mean there is no hope. There are several other drugs that are effective for nerve pain. I hope you can get some relief from your pain soon.

Alan

Old 01-14-2005, 06:52 AM   #12
(female)

Madonna HB User

Alsmith:

Yes, there is a class action law suit. Do a search on Google and you will see all kinds of stuff out there. Please dont stick your head in the sand. Pfizer was previously fined $430 million dollars for promoting the drug for other uses to goose up their profits. One of those "other uses" is pain management.

I dont want to change the tone of this board, because it is one of caring, however, I do not blindly follow whatever my doctor says. They make mistakes too. I am very involved in my own health as well as my husbands.
I have had other prescriptions given to me that I refused to fill, from other doctors. They were still good doctors, but they dont know everything. Medicine is an opinion, not an exact science.

I think Neurontin is a terrible drug. I am glad you have had such success with it, however, you are that rare one. Some of the side effects of the drug are just aweful and scary. Inform yourself about this drug. It could have serious long term affects that you are unable to detect right now.

Last edited by Madonna; 01-14-2005 at 06:54 AM.

Old 01-14-2005, 07:35 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User

Hi Jayboy
I also could not handle Neurontin, I felt awful and only took it for 10 days and it did not help my pain. I am now taking Topamax that is used for nerve pain as well and it totally agrees with me. The first week or 2 I was totally nauseated and it ruins the taste of carbonated drinks but now it does not make my stomach feel yucky anymore. Maybe you could check this one out. I understand that alot of docs will try this if Neurontin is not tolerated. Also no nasty weight gain side effects. I was told it may cause weight loss, but it has not done that for me or weight gain, so that is o.k., but 10 lbs might be nice.
shelley

Old 01-14-2005, 08:26 AM   #14
Veteran

AlSmith HB User

It was not my intention to "change the tone of this board". If anyone took my comments as such, I appologize.

Alan

Old 01-14-2005, 01:55 PM   #15
(female)

memawhurts HB User

To me this is what makes this board such a good thing. You get opinions, good or bad, and then you have something to go on to make your own decisions. If everybody "played sweet" all the time then we would never get to the truth of anything. This way we get more information to make our choices from. Thanks guys, a good debate is always welcome in my opinion ( which is probably not worth much either, lol).
Memaw

Closed Thread