It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2005, 10:22 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User
Unhappy Please Help Me!!

Hi everyone
Somebody [B]PLEASE HELP ME!!!,[/B]
My ESI & Facet injections in the spine had to be cancelled, it was tomorrow morning at 6:30am (the 13th).
I woke up with a boil on the top of my thigh (in the back) yesterday morning, but as time went on, it got really bad.
It was 80 in the house and I was cold and have been in so much pain I couldn't walk.
I more I tried to walk the worse it got. I asked my hubby to look at it for me, and then I got a mirror and noticed from the knee up to the thigh was very red, hot and swollen 3 times the size of the rest of my leg, so much so, the skin is just hanging from the weight of the infection,and I couldn't walk on it or move it from the hip down.
I drove myself to the ER at midnight (mistake since I couldn't use the gas peddle for the pain), They said even though the boil was small and just beginning, it has caused an absess and infection threw my right leg, gave me some Tylenol (99.0 fever), andtibiotics and pain meds.
I got home and began freezing, the house was 85, but I had three quilts on and was shivering so hard and crying from the pain, that at 3am my hubby drove me back to the ER and I saw the same doctor.
Within 3 hours my fever went to 102.5, the leg was turning a dark red and the absess was spreading really fast. You could of burned your hand on my leg alone. So he doubled the antibiotics told me not to take Tylenol and get some Motrin for the swelling, as long as I am on the medicine I can limp, but am still in alot of pain. And still get cold chills with my fever going up and down.
He injected some lidocaine to numb it, [B](OUCH!!!) [/B] and then tried a needle to suck some infection out, but he couldn't get anything, it bled so bad, it took a long time to stop (must of been the pressure in it).
I am sitting on the edge of a soft chair, practically hanging off, and both legs are hurting ALOT.
Will this go away before my surgery in about 3 weeks? Or maybe by next week so she can do the injections? I gotta get rid of this AND SOON!!
They said warm salt water cloths, but I used a hot water bottle at first and thats when it spread into my leg. The Doc still thinks it's a spider bite [B](AGAIN!) [/B] And an allergy to something and take Benadryl,
I need to know the fastest way to get rid of this. So what do I do??
I can't take the antibiotics, then all I do is throw up, the fever gets so high I am dying of thirst and dehydrating and feel like throwing up.
WHAT DO I DO??? Keep using the water bottle, WHAT??
Pain Management called to tell me they would get me in at 6:30 in the morning so I would be her first patient and not have to wait this time, but I told her what was happening and she said she is not comfortable doing the procedure as it might let an infection in the spine.
Stardust

Prayer is asking for Rain, Faith is Holding the Umbrella

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2005, 10:38 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Losy HB User
Unhappy Re: Please Help Me!!

Wow - I wish I could tell you something that could help but Im at a loss for words that'll own ideas. All I can say is hang in there, pray and hope that you are blessed with a speedy recovery - good luck

Losy

Old 01-12-2005, 11:29 PM   #3

shakarkia HB User
Re: Please Help Me!!

Stardust,
I am so sorry to hear of your troubles!! I sure hope it gets better. I don't think it will interfere w/your surgery. That's 3 weeks away right? The infection should be all gone by then. I am posting a new thread w/my recent ER/surgery related nightmare so you can read that it you want to.
This thread is about you! Has the boil gotten any smaller or does it seem to be growing? We all care about you here and I hope you feel better soon.

shak.

Old 01-13-2005, 12:13 AM   #4
(female)

memawhurts HB User

Stardust,

Just wanted to say that I will be thinking of you and will keep you in my prayers. Things have to get better, don't they? We can only hope and have faith that all these things happen for a reason. God doesn't give us more than we can handle.

Best of luck,
Memaw

Old 01-13-2005, 05:24 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

Since the ER poked it and it bled so much, there is no change as far as getting bigger, it's the same size, except purple from the blood under it.
I still can't walk and it's still swollen, very red and VERY HOT!
Stardust

Old 01-13-2005, 08:15 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jessie1 HB User

I am so sorry to hear about this Stardust!!! If the antibiotics are making you so sick, can you get switched to another one? Get lots of rest, and take care of yourself! You'll be in your prayers!

Jessie

Old 01-13-2005, 08:24 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

This might not be what you want to hear but you have to take the anti-biotics. I was bitten by a brown recluse spider and almost died from it. I had blood poisoning from it. They made me take the anti-biotics. I had to eat a lot of food with them in order to keep them down. I drank a lot of cream and put on about ten pounds. I also ate a lot of bread. If you can't keep the anti-biotics down they will give them to you, IV, and that costs a lot for the hospital stay.

Your body is trying to fight off an infection. Anti-biotics are the only way to help it along.

My prayers go out to you,

Old 01-13-2005, 08:31 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

StMishl HB User

SO sorry to hear about this! Can you call and ask if they can give you the antibiotics by injection? Then it would be in your system faster and would maybe allow you to get better quicker (before surgery)? I had to reschedule an epidural injection due to a cold - so yes, they likely would be VERY worried about such a serious infection spreading to your spinal cord. Please stay on top of this, as living in AZ I have known many people with spider bites that have led to serious infections! My daughter was stung by a scorpion and developed pancreatitis... your body can react in SO many ways! PLEASE call your doctor if you don't feel you are improving.

Know you are in many peoples thoughts and prayers.

Last edited by StMishl; 01-13-2005 at 08:33 AM.

Old 01-13-2005, 12:56 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

I was bitten by a brown recluse once as well, [B]NOT FUN[/B]! I took the antibiotics, but they still ended up using a scalple to open it and drain it several weeks later when I couldn't walk any longer.
It sure left a H*** of a scar!
I put in a call to our family Doc who said he will see me tomorrow morning.
Also PM rescheduled for Monday at 8am for ESI & Facet injections. Hope I make that one. But now have a sinus infection that just came out of the blue, (think it has something to do with my leg being infected).
I don't have a bathtub to soak in, just a huge walk-in shower, so I could really use any suggestions as to what to put on this. I also bought Sanitizing gel for everytime I end up touching it and wash my clothes in Hot water.
Stardust

Closed Thread