It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2005, 11:42 PM   #1

shakarkia HB User
Angry this HAS got to be the last thing to go wrong!!

OK,
So you all remember I posted and said I took all my vicodin in 4 days (bad girl) So that Friday night (the 7th) I'm noticing my incision is open and leaking this pus like gray bloody goo. Tried to call to doc but after 5 on a Friday...no call back. Called the nurse line they said get thyself to the E.R. So off I went...by myself because I thought it'd be a quick clean up dress it up and go. But NNNOOOOOO!!! The doc does an x-ray to check for infection. Then says I better do a cat scan to be sure. Well the cat scan showed an Illeus, which is a complete stop of peristalsis...ya know the thing that moves your bowels, so basically I was full of crap. Literally. Yep.....was admitted to the same hospital not 7 days after being released from the hospital. I got out today....so that's 5 days in the hospital for not having perstalsis,,,,,,or a "non mechanical" ileus. Apparently you can get it when you have abdominal surgery (anterior fusion). Thank God it all came out (not a fun thing either by the way) or it would have been back under the knife. I haven't even followed up w/my surgeon yet since the fusion. You can bet your life I will ask why they didn't check for it!!! I seem to be better and things are moving again. If you are sched for an anterior fusion, please please ask your doc to check for an ileus BEFORE they release you, it will save you a LOT of un needed pain and suffering. Well....that's the most recent....will let ya all know how the doc visit goes in the AM...

thanks for reading

shak

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2005, 12:16 AM   #2
(female)

memawhurts HB User
Re: this HAS got to be the last thing to go wrong!!

I'm sooo sorry to hear you have been through so much. I hope you are feeling better soon. You will be in my prayers.
Memaw

Old 01-13-2005, 06:40 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User

Oh geez Shakarkia... don't dare ask what next or you just might find out.

Not to get nosey or personal, but did they make you have a BM before you left the hospital?

I know any surgery will cause bowel troubles. Have you also been taking stool softeners? I would make sure you drink lost of prune juice cocktails (1/2 prune juice 1/2 apple juice... makes it go down a little better)

I'm hoping the bad is behind you and you can focus on getting better and back to normal in the very near future.

Old 01-13-2005, 07:48 AM   #4

Texmom HB User

Wow. Sounds like a negligent doc and hospital to me. Most won't let you go from the hospital until they are sure your bowels can move. Vicodin can be very constipating even when you are taking it properly. They have a laxative called Freelax out now that won't give you cramps; if you are taking a lot of Vicodin, you might consider taking that as well. But you know Vicodin overdoses can kill you; please BE CAREFUL!

Last edited by Texmom; 01-13-2005 at 07:51 AM.

Old 01-13-2005, 08:14 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Terri43 HB User

I have been having a problem with constipation for the pain killers. I eat alot of fruits and veggies, take Freelax, coliace,suppositories, and enimias. and still can only have 1 bm a week. So if anyone has any other ideas let me know. Today I think I'm going to go to GNC to see if they have a flush kit...LOL

Old 01-13-2005, 08:28 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jessie1 HB User

Oh Shakarkia! I am so sorry to hear about that! I hope you are resting at home and feeling better now. Make sure you drink plenty of fluids, and take a stool softener with meals. They made me do that in the hospital. They also tried to make me drink milk of magnesia, but that made me hurl so that was the end of that! But for some people it works.

Keep us posted!

Jessie

Old 01-13-2005, 08:43 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

StMishl HB User

I am so sorry! Is this something that can only happen with "front" incisons? BTW, They didn't make me go #2 before I left the hospital either (took me over 10 days!!). I hope you are "on the right path" now, and are feeling much better. I was told warm prune juice mixed with pineapple juice, fresh grapefruit in the morning (thank goodness I have a grapefruit tree that is ripe currently), and I snack on frosted mini-wheats. I am still having problems tho! I hope you can find a balance of keeping pain under control with the constipating pain pills , but stay "regular"... (Dear God, the things we talk to strangers about on these boards!!)

Best wishes, and REST!!

Old 01-13-2005, 09:02 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

While on a min-vacation I had to take a lot of pain pills for my SI. I am used to snacking at home, prunes, fruits, raw veggies, etc. But, when on the road or visiting relatives it is hard to do. So, my mom had this stuff called DSS. She got it from either Longs or Wal-Mart, she could not remember. The first day I took two, oh, boy, the next day I took only one. It is the first thing that I have ever taken, over the counter, that worked, in one day. It gave me a medicinal taste in my mouth all day, but I was okay with it. It says that it takes 12 to 72 hours to work, but it worked in about five for me.

I brought it home with me as she was done taking it. You might want to give it a try. I believe that it is all natural ingredients.

I hope that everything works out for you,

Old 01-13-2005, 10:11 AM   #9

Texmom HB User

[QUOTE=Terri43]I have been having a problem with constipation for the pain killers. I eat alot of fruits and veggies, take Freelax, coliace,suppositories, and enimias. and still can only have 1 bm a week. So if anyone has any other ideas let me know. Today I think I'm going to go to GNC to see if they have a flush kit...LOL[/QUOTE]

Wow hon it shouldn't be that bad. You need to talk to your doc. Seriously if you are eating a high fiber diet and taking Freelax, you should be experiencing "peristalsis" every day!

Old 01-13-2005, 11:36 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

gosh, I am also sorry. I hope you are feeling better. what about your incision? Any idea why it was oozing? ANd I wonder too, did you have a bm before you left the first time? Gosh. I have worked with backed up bowels and have had them myself, NO FUN. I am just glad you made it back okay. I had anterior incision too, but no problems, TG.

Old 01-13-2005, 12:27 PM   #11

shakarkia HB User

I did have a BM before I left the 1st time, that's the funky part, but apparently an ileus can form in your upper intestine and your lower bowels will evacuate fine. I have tons on reglin (sp?) tons of lactolose, suppositories, milk of magnesia and about 5 shots directly into my tummy....this all seemed to help and things are fine now. From what I read an ileus can form w/any abdominal surgery....lucky me huh?
I'm home now and resting.....watching my Star Wars movies!

shak

Old 01-13-2005, 06:24 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

beachgirl01 HB User

Hi,
Wow, sorry you had to go through that, like you hadn't already been through enough! I'm glad to hear you're back at home and things are looking up. Be sure to take care of yourself. Kristy.

Old 01-14-2005, 07:52 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User

Wow that is terrible. I hope you are feeling better now
shelley

Closed Thread