It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2005, 10:39 AM   #1
(female)

ladybird988 HB Userladybird988 HB User
6 mons post microdisectomy w/drop foot

Thought I'd post that after 6 months of a weak leg and leg pain galore from a herniated disc, I've made a big improvement, after only making tiny improvements each month.

For one week i had horrible leg and toe pain, the nerve was just going bonkers. That was right before Christmas. Normally I have 5 days of leg pain, then 5 days of very little pain. When the pain is bad, it reaches a level 9, like being stabbed with a knife. That went on for 6 months on and off. Well, after that last bout, which was the worst yet, I've had no leg pain since. Just a little in the toes. Also, my leg suddenly became stronger.

It was funny, because the nerve had just gotten real alive and the physical therapist couldn't do electrical stimulation on my back with the tens unit because my back went crazy (like hypersensitive). She couldn't even put ice on my back for two weeks because that also made it hypersensitive. She wondered if perhaps it was a good thing.

My back still aches, but the leg is finally coming around.

I had a microdisectomy in July for a herniation in L4/L5 that compressed the sciatic nerve, resulting in drop foot. Was told the nerve sheath had been punctured and had to grow back and would do so at about one inch a month.

The doctor told me it would take months if not years for the leg to come around, well, I can say it is finally doing so. I had just about reached the end of my rope. Now, if only I could sit. That's still too painful.

God is with me because my leg pain went away just days before I had to spend 11 hour days in the critical care unit with my father for his surgery for two weeks. It has now been three weeks, and no leg pain. this is the longest I've gone without leg pain. Had I had that leg pain during his hospital stay, I could not have been w ith him.

Also, my thigh is no longer numb.

Just wanted to share and spread hope to those who are also going through this.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybird988 For This Useful Post:
Hana Rae (12-01-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2005, 12:13 PM   #2

calaggie HB User
Re: 6 mons post microdisectomy w/drop foot

Thanks for sharing your experience. My husband is going to undergo a microdiscectomy in a few weeks. His recent MRI showed 8mm of herniated disk in L4/L5, and his left leg is weak but he's still able to sit and working. He has trouble sleeping, though, since it's hard for him to find a comfy position. How long did you have to stay at home after the surgery? Prior to the surgery, was your back a little skewed due to the pain? I saw that my husband's back is crooked to the left to bear the pain. Thanks for your info.

Stephanie

Old 01-13-2005, 12:26 PM   #3
(female)

Madonna HB User

My husband looked like he was holding his back "funny" after having his surgery. It was almost like he was walking "with his tail between his legs". I fretted about that, along with about 10,000 other little things, but he is holding his back normally now. I think it must have been some sort of protective mechanism.

This board has helped me a lot because I dont worry nearly as much anymore.

Old 01-13-2005, 02:14 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jessie1 HB User

Ladybird, glad to hear you are doing better! Keep it up, and keep taking it slowly!

Closed Thread