It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2005, 11:51 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User
Sweet tooth

anyone else finding they have a big sweet tooth since surgery? I am usually a big salt lover, sometimes something sweet with the salt. But, lately, crave sweet stuff like you would NOT believe! Ice cream, yogurt, sugary cereal, candy, granola bars (the sweeter kind).....it sucks b/c that is what can make me gain more weight-sugar is bad. I usually eat only sugar free stuff or sweetened items with aspartame. I wonder if it is more that these items are easy to eat????? UGH.

Old 01-13-2005, 02:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jessie1 HB User
Re: Sweet tooth

Me too! Ice cream, yogurt, stuff like that. I've had this thing for popsicles lately- I was never a big fan of them before, but now I can't get enough of them. Also, I was struck by a strawberry craving today. I sent a friend out to get me some (do you know how hard it is to get strawberries in winter in Michigan??), and he asked me if I was sure that I'm not pregnant. I told him yes I'm sure, and if I'm having cravings now, imagine what I'd be like if I was pregnant, LOL!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2005, 02:41 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

StMishl HB User

Nope, Nothing sounds good. Ordered groceries online from Albertsons grocery store, and they'll be delivered today- maybe something will taste good (Did not realize you could have groceries delivered for only 10.00)! Eating my kids breakfast cereal, and the starbucks frapachino this morning, but otherwise- NOTHING tastes good, and NOTHING is sitting well on the stomach. I'll trying to only take the oxycontin (1 every 12 hrs) to see if my appetite comes back, but so far its not--Its the new diet plan, the fusion diet- we could write a book, and make a million dollars
Sugar free strawberry jello tasted pretty good last week. And I have grapefruits by the zillion on the trees in my front yard, my daughters eat those with about a cup of sugar on them... that sweet enough for you??

Old 01-13-2005, 02:44 PM   #4
(female)

memawhurts HB User

My downfall is Hershey's kisses with almonds. I have had to have some every day since surgery, well after the first couple of weeks of nausea. And I have never been one to eat chocalate except when it's that time of the month (sorry guys).

Old 01-13-2005, 04:41 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

wow,a cup of sugar? I like them plain myself
I went to the store and tried really hard to skimp on the sugar. I almost bought a huge box of left over doughnuts, but got the lemon poppyseed muffins instead (minis, but already ate three!) I got starburst jelly beans too. the rest was regular-chili, easy mac mac and cheese, summer sausage and cheese, cheezits, cottage cheese, handi snacks.....I stood in the ice cream aisle for ten mins, then realized I still had my French Vanilla ice cream and my popcicles still in the freezer. Better wait til those are gone first

Old 01-13-2005, 04:44 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

[QUOTE=memawhurts]My downfall is Hershey's kisses with almonds. I have had to have some every day since surgery, well after the first couple of weeks of nausea. And I have never been one to eat chocalate except when it's that time of the month (sorry guys).[/QUOTE]

I swear, you are not supposed to eat chocolate after fusion until you fuse. I can't post web sites, but it is the truth.

Old 01-13-2005, 04:55 PM   #7
(female)

Madonna HB User

My husband and I have been eating lots of raw veggies with ranch dip. It really helps him with the BM problems. We have been buying the veggie trays at the grocery store and also making the dip and buying a bag of stir fry veggies and eating them raw with the dip. It is so tasty.

Old 01-13-2005, 05:15 PM   #8
(female)

memawhurts HB User

Oh Betty, you just broke my heart to pieces. I believe you, I'm sure it's true, but I'm addicted now and I'm not sure I can stop. LOL. I will give it a try, (just as soon as I finish this last bag I just bought). Ok I will try now.

Seriously, I will do my best and at least cut back a lot.

Thanks Betty,
Memaw

Old 01-13-2005, 09:31 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

You can always eat carob malt balls if you really can't live without. My husband balked at first, then he gave in, about three weeks before his surgery. He has been really good about it. When I handed him the carob chips I thought that he would throw up but, he likes the carob malted milk balls and I even have started eating them, although at $17 a pound, they are a bit much for my pocket book.

If I had to choose between fusion and chocolate, that would be a close call for me. I buy the big bag of specialty dark chocolate chips and eat a handful each day. They are helping me through menopause, I swear

I have the small dark chocolate candy bars in the freezer, which I eat one a day, and then the Nestle's chocolate milk that I have each morning. I am an addict, I swear.

I am actually using the chocolate to come off of Xanax. I have no idea why, but it helps with withdrawls. Once the withdrawls are over, I am off the chocolate. At least, that is what I keep telling myself.

If you are going to eat chocolate, I read that the dark chocolate is the least harmful for the fusion process. I think that a few bites a day can't hurt.

take care,

Old 01-13-2005, 09:53 PM   #10
(female)

memawhurts HB User

That is too funny Betty. Maybe that is what ny problem is too, menopause. You are going through withdrawals from Xanax and I will be withdrawing from chocolate. At least we have a support system set up already. lol.

Old 01-13-2005, 10:00 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

LOL LOL LOL

At least yours doesn't come with hot flashes!!!! They are so bad that my husband is ready to heat the house by just using my body and not the heater

I am down from eight Zanax a day to three. I was down to one until last week when I decided to see if I could rid my pain by taking one an hour and it worked and I fell of off the wagon.

Good luck with the chocolate withdrawls, you are a stronger person than me, I can't make it one day without it,

Old 01-14-2005, 03:58 AM   #12
Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

You guys need to check out the interaction between grapefruit and your meds. And I'm going to read up on chocolate.
fly

Old 01-14-2005, 10:11 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

we had a post on the affect of grapefruit and meds, that it enhances, right? I haven't had one of those fruits in years, like, six to ten. I want to read up on the chocolate too, I would think if we weren't supposed to have it, we'd be told that, right? Then again, I was never told I couldn't have Motrin either...Oh, I did buy some Chocolate Redi whip yesterday too, had a bowl for a dessert treat last night-like chocolate mousse in a way But not AS BAD for you, sans fusion.

Old 01-14-2005, 10:30 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User

I have never had Chocolate Redi whip...sounds way to dangerous to be in my house. I am not working today so I tend to be more hungry when I am not at work............Maybe boredom eating. I love Cherry peel and eat Licorice shelley

Old 01-14-2005, 10:44 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Terri43 HB User

All I eat is raw veggies,fresh pineapple,apples,salad,strawberries and lots of water. I'm having the consipation problems from pain meds.I have a ? has anyone ever lost alot of weight while doing nothing? I have a strawberry craving story. When I was pregnant I was craving strawberries so bad that I got a $110.00 speeding ticket less than a mile from my house. That was the most expensive pint of strawberries I have ever had. but they were goooood.LOL

Closed Thread