It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2005, 02:32 PM   #1

ktshobe HB User
Angry Just need your support: surgery cancelled...again!!

I haven't posted much here, but I just wanted to complain a bit and get your support. I just found out that my lumbar fusion has been cancelled (originally scheduled in two weeks) because my surgeon is being deployed to Iraq - I am military. My last surgeon died in an accident, so that surgery, which was also already scheduled, was cancelled. I have waited 3 years to get this surgery. It has been an emotional roller coaster, as I am sure others have experienced. I am sick of being on pain meds, which makes it hard to work, and sick of being incapable of exercising.

I am sure it will all work out for the best eventually, but I sure am bummed tonight. The surgeon is presenting my case to another surgeon at the hospital, so hopefully he'll take me!!!

thanks for listening,
Katie

Last edited by ktshobe; 01-13-2005 at 02:33 PM. Reason: new title

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2005, 02:55 PM   #2
(female)

Ouizie HB User
Re: Just need your support: surgery cancelled...again!!

Having dealt with back pain issues for 5 1/2 years I can understand your frustration. It's crazy that two surgeries have been cancelled for such serious reasons.

Have you tried acupuncture or any other non-conventional methods of pain relief? I found acupuncture to be helpful. I can honestly say that I empathize with you and what you're going through.

A year and a half ago my back landed me in the hospital and the dr.'s there treated me like I was a hypochondriac and that I was exagerating my pain etc. I finally found a good surgeon who understood that my disc had be slowly but surely building up into a full-fledged rupture this past June.

I'll send my thoughts your way and hope that you find relief soon. I know how exhausting chronic pain is. Good luck.

Love,
Ouizie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2005, 03:01 PM   #3
(female)

Madonna HB User

I really find that things happen for a reason. Please do not fight what is happening to you, try to accept it. Maybe you havent had the surgery yet because the right person has not come along to perform it.

I know it is frustrating, I went through all of this with my husband, so I know what you are going through. But try to be easy about this and dont struggle against it. The surgery will happen for you when God is ready.

Please try and not fret. Everything has a season, so your time will come.

Old 01-13-2005, 03:26 PM   #4

ktshobe HB User

I haven't tried nonconventional treatments such as acupuncture, but I have tried PT, nucleoplasty, and IDET. Maybe now is the time to look into these other ideas?

thanks for your help,
kt

Old 01-13-2005, 03:29 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jessie1 HB User

I understand how upset and frustrated you must be! I was originally scheduled to have my fusion on Dec. 2, and it was cancelled the day before because of insurance issues. I was really upset at first, but then figured it must have happened for a reason. I finally got it done on Jan. 5, and it was worth the wait. Try to stay positive, and know that you will get this taken care of! Keep us updated on what's happening!

Jessie

Old 01-13-2005, 05:01 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User

I can relate. I was cancelled ON THE TABLE!

Hopefully your doctor will have your best interest at heart and find you a new doc.

Good Luck

Old 01-13-2005, 05:37 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

sorry to hear that, I too know how frustrating it is to have something so major cancelled. Hang in there!

Old 01-13-2005, 07:13 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

beachgirl01 HB User

Wow, now that is quite a story. I'm sorry you are going through this, it's not easy. Can't you ask for a referral to another surgeon? Well I wish you all the luck in the world and I pray that this gets sorted out real soon. Take care. Kristy.

Old 01-13-2005, 07:21 PM   #9
(female)

CocoandChase HB User

Hi Katie,

I completely understand how you feel, my 3 level fusion has been put on hold as well, no insurance. It sucks being on all this medicine. You feel like you have no control of your life. Please try to stay positive and good things will happen for you. Take care and best wishes!

Kelly

Old 01-14-2005, 03:39 AM   #10

ktshobe HB User

Wow, this must happen quite a bit. I guess the good news is that I have all the "stuff" for recovery (e.g., bath mat, lots of movies and books), so whenever it happens I will be ready.

It's just annoying that it seems to be out of my control. Hopefully he'll convince the other spine surgeon to take my case, otherwise I'll have to find someone else.

-Kt

Old 01-14-2005, 09:18 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Terri43 HB User

I know how you feel. I was set to have surgery when W/C denied it. Maybe that was a good thing because I found out yesterday that the neurosurgeon retired. What would I have done for follow up and the second part of my surgery. Not sure I can trust another doctor. So now I have time to really check out new surgeons.

Closed Thread