It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2005, 02:52 PM   #1

toelle HB User
Had electronic trial stimulator installed on Wed.

I just had the first surgery to install the trial electronic stimulator on Wed. I think it has cut down somewhat on the pain but by no means has it eleminated it. Now I have to decide if I want to go through with the final implant. I'm leaning toward doing it because at least it's helping somewhat and I have not had to take as many pain meds as before. Yesterday I did end up taking something towards the end of the day even with the stimulator. I hope I'm making the right decision. I just get the impression from my pain Dr. that this is about the last thing he can try as far as managing my pain. I HATE taking all the pain meds and walking around in a fog all the time. Anyone else had this proceedure? I'm intrested in both good and bad outcomes. Toelle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2005, 08:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User
Re: Had electronic trial stimulator installed on Wed.

Ijust had a surgery 2 days ago and am 6 mos post op fusion. If the 2 laminectomies that he did do not work, then stimulator trial is next. What was involved with that and how does it work.
Thanks,
shelley

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2005, 10:38 AM   #3

toelle HB User

[QUOTE=myspine]Ijust had a surgery 2 days ago and am 6 mos post op fusion. If the 2 laminectomies that he did do not work, then stimulator trial is next. What was involved with that and how does it work.
Thanks,
shelley[/QUOTE]

Old 01-14-2005, 10:43 AM   #4

toelle HB User

I had it installed on Wed. They gave me light sedation and woke me up after giving me novacain in my spine. At that time they installed the stimulator and tried it out and asked where I was feeling the tingeling so they could place it in just the right spot. Then they put me back to sleep and sewed me up. The proceedure itself is very simple and I had no side effects from the sedation. However even though the pain is somewhat better I still have some pain; cant sit for too long and at night I'm still in quite a lot of pain. I guess it's different for everyone. I still am undecieded as to weather I should go through with the final implant or not. I'm going to the pain Dr. today to get my dressing changed and will discuss this with him further. Toelle

Old 01-14-2005, 11:51 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User

Is there other alternatives for you? Does it seem to decrease the pain by 50% or more?? Where do they put it???
shelley

Old 01-14-2005, 02:09 PM   #6

toelle HB User

I think it has decreased the pain by 50 %. I hav'nt had to take any pain meds today at all. I went in to have the dressing changed and the Dr. changed some of the settings on the device and I am now getting more pain relief than before. The stimulator is placed near the spinal cord and then a wire lead is coming out my back and hooked up to the device and controls. When I get the implant on the 20th I will control the stimlator with a remote control. Toelle

Old 01-14-2005, 02:22 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

jdlfmc HB User

I just went through the SCS trial and had it on on this past Monday and am trying to deciede if I'll have the permanant which I am leaning very heavily toward, if you get at least a 50% cut in pain they feel it is susccsesful and I did I'm just concerned about my pain in the other areas of my spine. the trial was for the damage to my lower back and S1 nerve I also have thoracic cord comp. and that's a wholsedifferent thing.
Also the SCS works better after it is implanted as it doesn't move around as much and they can give you more programs at least this is true with Advanced Bionics.
It is also said that you most likely wil have to have pain medication along with the stimulator but should be able to cut back on it.
There is also the pain pump which is where they ususally go if the SCS doesn't work.
Suede

Closed Thread