It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2005, 08:25 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

StMishl HB User
What the heck now- GRRR

OKAY, Enough already. Today was going ok... pain is under control, picked up 3 new books, groceries delievered... then 4 times now my back has "locked" when I was bent on in a sitting position. HAs this happened to any other fusion-ites? I don't mean it felt tight, or sore, but it LOCKED UP, and I had to sit back down for a minute or so until it released and I could stand back up. 1 time was in the bathroom. It was like on the bad sitcoms - where the guys back "goes out" and he can't stand up. Is this normal?? Is it normal for US??

Will my life ever be normal???

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Old 01-14-2005, 06:09 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Losy HB User
Question Re: What the heck now- GRRR

I had a fusion years ago and at times i experience something like what you are describing. My sensation is a little different and my sense is that its a nerve that catches in or on scar tissue and I find myself unable to move. It takes a few minutes and a stretch or to but I am evntually able to get it to release. I often suffer pain for several days after before starting to improve and get back to normal. It generally happens when I move awkeardly in a sideways direction while twisting at the same time. Hope this is of some help

Losy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2005, 06:39 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User
Re: What the heck now- GRRR

That used to happen to me before my fusion. I would bend to pick something up and I couldn't straighten up. Or I would get out of my car and not be able to stand up. I had a laminectomy and fusion, L3-S1, six months ago. No more problem! Tell your surgeon.
fly

Old 01-14-2005, 10:03 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

I am so sorry you have this now to deal with! Does it feel muscular? Like a big spasm? If it keeps happening def call your doc! Sheesh, I am sorry

Old 01-14-2005, 11:57 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

StMishl HB User

Then to top it off, as soon as I posted that my computer took a huge dump! But I think (knock on wood) the computer is working now. Back is another issue - New plan - I'm going to "act" as if its better, I'm ging to lower pain meds to 1 oxycontin am & 1 pm, and no more then 2 tylonol 3s total per day. I am going to DO something outside each day (in addition to the walk), and am going to stop complaining to my hubby. I have decided to BE BETTER, locked up back (yep, still "locking") that hurts and all. I've decided to take this bull by the horns and see if I can tough it out... Its been almost 5 weeks for goodness sake!!!! UGH!!! And I'm determined to go back to work at least a few hours per day 1 week from Monday... Any one else try this MIND OVER MATTER approach?? has it worked??

Old 01-14-2005, 12:04 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

I think my locking was from sponylolysthesis. That doesn't go away without surgery.
fly

Old 01-14-2005, 12:19 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

StMishl HB User

Ok, Fly... I just had fusion 4.5 weeks ago (and of course the MRIs, and so forth...) and an x-ray 2 days ago, PLEASE tell me they'd have seen that if that were the case???? I am locking about every third time I go to stand up!! It sems the longer I am sitting or lying, the more likely it is I will "lock".

Old 01-14-2005, 12:32 PM   #8

lisamariaweiss HB User

I had a fusion and sometimes that happens to me but it also happened before my surgery. When it happens to me, I am in excruciating pain too...so I think it is muscular related and/or nerve related. Do you have any pain when this happens?

Old 01-14-2005, 01:17 PM   #9
Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

It should show on a bending, flexing x-ray. I remember my ortho SS taking measurements. It was a physiatrist who ordered that x-ray. Did you have an ortho or neuro?
fly

Old 01-15-2005, 05:29 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

StMishl HB User

a spine Ortho, but never have had a "flexing x-ray" as usually could not move much while being xrayed =)

It hurts when it locks, but not excruciateing oain, more just a weird sensation of not being able to move- more pain when it first unlocks. It does not feel muscular so much as literally as if something is forceablly holding it down.

Guess i'll have to discuss w/ dr when I have my next follow up... GRRR

Old 01-15-2005, 05:50 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User
Wink Re: What the heck now- GRRR

I am sorry you are going through another problem. I have not had this problem...but as for the positive thinking, here's my experience:
At about 8 weeks, I got tired of complaining and wondering if I was ever going to go back to a normal life. So, I decided that the mind over matter theory was the way to go. There is a lot to how it can change your outlook and anxiety levels. Just make sure that you don't go into denial and start doing more than you should be doing. If you do too much, regardless as to what you think you should be able to do, you'll hurt. I remember thinking that people were getting tired of hearing me say "I am still in pain", so when a friend asked me how I was doing, I said "I have just decided that I am fine". But when I started doing things I thought I should be able to do...I was back in a few weeks saying "I'm still in pain". (I felt like I had gone backwards).

Be positive but also be careful . I'm thinking about you and hope things get better soon,

Lorie

Old 01-16-2005, 03:18 AM   #12
Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

[QUOTE=StMishl]a spine Ortho, but never have had a "flexing x-ray" as usually could not move much while being xrayed =)
It hurts when it locks, but not excruciateing oain, more just a weird sensation of not being able to move- more pain when it first unlocks. It does not feel muscular so much as literally as if something is forceablly holding it down.

For the x-ray you bend over as far as you can---and hold it. I almost went flat on my face! For me when I would lock it hurt to try and straighten up. I wasn't in constant pain so I wasn't on any meds. On the x-ray the movement/slippage was barely visable. The OSS wasn't even the one who ordered mine. Have you told him about the locking? Don't tell him you were diagnosed over the internet.
fly

Old 01-16-2005, 08:50 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

I take the must go shopping approach to feeling better. I was out for four hours by myself to day, driving and all. Last night I wore a skirt and kitten heels out to dinner, and was in those for around three hours. It would have been really easy except that Ceaser's does not have the easiest floor to walk on. I hurt most now in the evenings. I may take two percs in the am, two at bed time and maybe one every four hours during the day. RIght now, I am getting to a breaking point I think.THough, my neck is starting to hurt more, so are my knees..... I don't have a perfect remedy-wish I did, but this has worked for me-keep in mind, I wasn't so bad off before surgery, I was walking fine and able to go out and do things-just not for long periods of time and I needed the pain meds....

Old 01-17-2005, 08:17 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

StMishl HB User

I will definately follow up with the doctor about the "locking" as it is continuing and increasing. Thanks for the tips. As for the positive attitute: I have simpley decided, that I don't have to feel GREAT, I just need to feel not horrible (horrible = day 3 in hospital), and any day that isn't that bad is a good day (in this new was of thinking). I have decide to allow myself only 1 percs per day and 2 tylonol 3 all day, so I am rationing them to myself (in addition to the oxycontin that I take every 12 hrs). In addition, I tell my husband, "I feel better, thank you", when he asks, because I know he is tired of me complaining and having a "sick wife"... and compared to when I was in the hospital, I DO feel better. Also, no more taking advantage, I can wipe of kitchen counters, and cook, and I can do alot on my own (NOT overdoing it), and I'm going to try to go back to work just a few hours a day next week. I'm also making a point (like you Mel) of looking like a woman and dressing and wearing make up and doing my hair!! No more looking like a patient 24/7!! New Attitude here I come!!

Old 01-17-2005, 10:08 PM   #15
(male)

stidw HB User

come on and get going.. you can do it..

Closed Thread