It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2005, 10:25 PM   #1
(female)

Age17witbadback HB User
Had Surgery Last Week

Hi everyone! I went down to the Texas Back Institute on weds. the 5th to talk to a doctor about my back. He was the third doctor I have seen. I have had a Laminect./Disect. in Jan. of 2004 by my first doc. which failed and my disc re-herniated. He offered to repeat the surgery but I wasn't sure if I wanted him to do surgery on me again so I went to doc. #2. He did some tests and thought I needed a Fusion. Not that I am totally against the Fusion or anything but I didn't think it was right for me becuase I am only 17 and that the ADR had just been approved. So again I found doc. #3. I was planning on talking to him about the ADR. I got there and talked to one of his assistants while he looked at my MRI's and other tests I had done. Then him and his assistant talked for awhile. Finally the doctor came in and examined me and told me that Yes some day I might need a ADR but he thought I should repeat the surgery I had done before. It was a complete shock to hear that but yet I was kinda relieved becuase I didn't really want the ADR or Fusion but something had to be done! He had a cancellation for that friday (two days from my appoint.) so I scheduled and had a Laminect./Disect. again. Yes I know it was a fast decision but I really liked the doc. and I am thinking positively hoping this time it will work! I live 14 hours away from Texas so it was quite the trip home! We stopped every hour so I could get out and walk. And when we were driving I slept the whole time! I do have to go back in two weeks for a check-up. So now I can't really do much (very boring). Never thought I could get tired of just laying around!
~mandy~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2005, 10:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

beachgirl01 HB User
Re: Had Surgery Last Week

Holy smokes, that's amazing. I'm glad you didn't have the ADR. What did your doctor say about the surgery afterwards? I guess you will know more in 2 weeks when you go back. Well, please keep me posted as you progress. I will be thinking of you and praying for you. Take care of yourself, be carefull and DO NOT OVER DO IT!!! Good luck sweetie. Kristy.

Old 01-14-2005, 06:03 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Losy HB User

Good on you for taking the chance and exploring your option before having the surgery. I hope and pray that you recovery will be quick and give you back your life. Most importantly be careful during your post op period. Do what your dr asks and dont take risks. You are so young and the last thing you need is to have to go through any more surgery. My probs started when I was 23 (Laminectomy & double fusion) so I know what its like to be young and in pain. Im 38 now and my probs are back to haunt me (bulging disc one level above fusion. Good luck

Losy

Old 01-14-2005, 06:07 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User

Are you going to the Tex Back Ins in Lubbuck, Denton, Plano? If Plano and you end up with my doc....you'll be sooooo pleased with him.

Old 01-14-2005, 06:40 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jessie1 HB User

I'm glad you didn't need the ADR or the fusion! Make sure you take care of yourself and do exactly as your doctor says. How are you feeling now? Hope it's better every day! Keep us posted!

Jessie

Old 01-14-2005, 08:10 AM   #6
(female)

Age17witbadback HB User

Thanks for everyone's replies! I went to the Texas Back Institute in Plano. I was very pleased with my doctor there. After surgery he talked to my mom and said everything went well and he could see why I was having pain. Right now I am taking it easy, even though it can be very boring. Anyways i'm going to get off of here. bye!
~mandy~

Old 01-14-2005, 09:58 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

I am so happy for you and hope this works well for you! Like said, don't over do anything and just take it easy. Def let us know how things are going! (and if you have any questions)

Old 01-14-2005, 05:18 PM   #8
(female)

CocoandChase HB User

Good for you Mandy, glad your laminectomy was a success this time. Hope you're feeling much better! Just remeber to be very careful traveling all that way. That is a long time to sit, and sitting as we all know is the worst on backs. You're doing the right thing, stopping to walk. Congratulations and best wishes for a speedy recovery!
Tammy

Old 01-15-2005, 01:06 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Newbackguy HB User

Glad you are recovering well, Mandy.

I have had 12 plus years of back problems. Please have your Dr. keep an eye on your disc height as you age. I also had a discectomy in 1996. The problem of disc height loss is significant. Think of a brick building, if you take a brick out it causes the rest to slowly fail. This happened to me. I started with one herniation then slowly lost height in the disc which caused two more to fail in my lumbar region, and one in my neck.

In July of this year, I entered the Prodisc ADR cervical clinical trails and received a fusion at C5-6. It worked for me, but I know that I will probably need a Prodisc at C4-5 in the next ten years.

In October, I flew to Vienna, Austria and had three level Prodisc replacement at L3-4, L4-5, and L5-S1. I was bone on bone, at all three levels. My pain was gone in recovery, including leg pain. I am 12 weeks post-op and feel great, full range of motion. I went back to the gym at 4 1/2 weeks post- op.

In Europe, for the last sixteen years, if you had a herniated disc they replace it with an ADR, and you go on with your life. I recommend the Prodisc in the future it you have problems again. It has a 93.7% sucess rate.

There are people, and Dr.s who do not like ADRs. There are also those who dislike any kind of change.

Best of luck.

Closed Thread