It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2005, 05:42 AM   #1
(female)

kbear10_99 HB User
Question Has anyone had disc fusion for upperback/neck

Hi My Dr. wants me to have a disc fusion done I have a couple of protruding disc. I have put it off for a while now but I am tired of haveing headaches, spasms, pinched nerve and huge sore knots in my back and neck. If anyone had had this surgery could you share your story and the results of it. Would you do it again. Also have you heard of any other options besides this.

Thanks
kbear10_99

For a more detailed story of my back problem see my other post.

Old 01-14-2005, 11:18 AM   #2
(female)

aestrella411 HB User
Re: Has anyone had disc fusion for upperback/neck

My fiance has had both a lumbar fusion and a cervical one. He had very severe pain in his neck and shoulders and upper back. He was able to get treatment very quickly because he's in the army and there, they can just ask for anything and they pretty much give it to him (ie getting an MRI the same day that he schedules it). He had the cervical one this past April and let me tell you, not two days after surgery he drove from TX to CA to see me. I mean, that may have not been the best thing to do, but it still was possible. Ever since the surgery, he has no where close to the same pain he use to have. It's significantly less and he's happy with that. Occasionally, it gets painful and stiff if he doesn't move it for a long time. Other than that, he's very pleased with the surgery and has been successful thus far. He'd do it again if he had the same neurosurgeon. The neuro doc was such a good guy. As far as other treatments for your neck/back pain, I can offer none (as I have lumbar problems) only my fiance's experience with the surgery. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2005, 07:04 PM   #3
(female)

kbear10_99 HB User
Re: Has anyone had disc fusion for upperback/neck

Thanks. Right now I am trying to get all the info I can. I saw the Doc today and he is sending me for another MRI. I want to explore all my options before It gets so bad that I don't care what they do as long as they do something.(LOL). There has already been times when if the Doc was around I would have let him cut me then and there. Kbear

Old 01-14-2005, 09:45 PM   #4

humptydumpty HB User
Lightbulb Re: Has anyone had disc fusion for upperback/neck

I had fusion of C6-C7 in 11/03. It was the best decision I could have made. My pain level was 8-9 even taking oxycontin! The pain was in my shoulder, upper back and made its way around to my chest wall. The disk had herniated and a piece was lying on the nerve root as well as canal stenious(sp?). Was in the hospital overnight and ate a hamburger about 2 hours after the surgery. I still have problems as I have a lot of DDD in all areas of my back but esp. in the cervical. I lost a little bit of range of motion, but I don't notice it that much anymore.But that still could be other things as the DDD and several other bludging disks I have.
I have a herniated T7-T8 that still giving me fits along with a buldging L5-S1.
If the cervical was my only problem I think I could have went back to work. (I was a police officer). I had to take a medical retirement and am in the social security disabilty process. Good luck

Closed Thread