My surgeon informed me I can't have the ADR as he originally told me I can plan on having! For months now I was excited about being able to have it and was making plans for the surgery so this is a big disappointment. At the same time, I am very glad to know this before I had surgery, only to find out it failed.
He said I have Facet Joint Syndrome too severely to hold the ADR. He also didn't give me much hope that a fusion would be successful. I have a completely collapsed disk at L/5-S1 and have had back pain for 30 years (DDD throughout my spine but worse at L/5-S1).
I cannot even walk or stand more than a few seconds. I was so hoping the ADR would be my answer to abate my severe pain. He did say he will send my films to a top Dr. in Texas for consultation and advice on the ADR as a 2nd opinion since my Dr. has been only recently trained. In the meantime, I am to have Facet Joint Injections to see if that helps.
Has anyone else been told they can't have the ADR due to Facet Joint Syndrome? I just don't know what to think now as my hope is diminishing.
I am sorry to hear that things haven't worked out for you. At least you had an honest doctor that is looking out for your best interest. Maybe you'll receive better news when you see the other doctor in Texas. I was also told that I was going to have a fusion and for about 3 months I prepared myself for it. Then when I had my last appt before the surgery my doctor decided he didn't want to operate. It wasn't for ADR it was for a fusion but I can relate. I hope you do not have to wait too long to get your second opinion. Kepp us posted when you find anything out. Take care and keep your head up high. Good luck. Kristy.
Thanks for you reply. Yes, sounds like you can relate. Why didn't the Dr. want to do the fusion? My Dr. also originally told me I can have a fusion before the ADR was approved but now he doesn't want to do the fusion either.
Yeah, I'm glad he is honest and careful and yours is too. Have you found any relief from anything? I can't tolerate pain meds other than Ibup. or Tylenol which I use sparingly. What are our options?
Well it seems my surgeon decided that I was just too young and he didn't feel that I had exhausted all non surgical procedures. I'm 23. I have done injections and therpay in the past but had no relief and actually had more pain from them. But my surgeon has suggested that I do physiotherapy aggressively for at least 3 months. Focusing on stregthening my abdominal and back muscles. My therapist has also incorporated accupuncture into my sessions. I haven't yet ahd any relief but I have only been going for about 3 weeks. I am also getting orthodics and a back brace that I am to wear for a couple hours a day. I have a difficult time with medications, I have a really sensitive stomach and everything seems to make me ill. I do however take muscle relaxants and tylenol arthritis. It helps me at night when I am trying to relax before bed. So that's where I am at, I still have about 2 months of therpay and then I'll go from there. What sort of treatment have you done in the past and are you doing anything at the moment? It's nice chatting with you. Take care. Kristy.
As three level Prodisc patient, I am sorry to hear about your problems.
You might ask your Dr. about a fusion at L5-S1, and a Prodisc at L4-L5. This procedure is performed with great sucess in Europe.
Try Dr. James Yue at Yale-NewHaven Hospital In New Haven, Conn. If your Dr. could send him your films, it might be the right move. Dr. Yue is an incredible surgeon and involved with the development of the Prodisc. He has close ties to my other surgeon Dr. Bertagnoli in Munich, Germany. Both have give me a new pain free life, and I still have full range of motion.