It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2005, 04:00 PM   #1
(female)

JILLfromWI HB User
Tailbone pain after Micro D L4/L5

Can anyone tell me if they have experienced severe tailbone pain after their lumbar Micro D....

I had my surgery on October 8 and have been having lower back pain, especially in the tailbone area for the past few weeks. It was extremely difficult to sit right from the start and I had some pain after going back to work at one month. But lately the tailbone pain is almost constant.

Is this something I should be worrying about, or is this just a common side effect of the lumbar micro d???

Thanks for any help!!!

JILLfromWI
Where we had a high temp of -2 today!!!

Old 01-17-2005, 07:20 AM   #2
(male)

chrispinco HB User
Smile Re: Tailbone pain after Micro D L4/L5

JILLfromWI,

I had my microD L5-S1 on 9-27-04 and the last 2 weeks my tailbone is hurting me as well. I told my surgeon he thinks this is normal, any pain I tell him about he believes is normal. So anyway when I sit it bothers me or when I stand it can also hurt the pain is not terrible but it does hurt and is there. I hope its normal so I sceduled with a new Dr last thursday and hes sending me for a mri 2morow so we will see what happens from there. We had our surgery almost the same time maybee it is normal do you have abny leg pain at all. ????? anything else bothering you? Ill keep you posted on the MRI..... HAve you talked to your DR????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2005, 06:03 PM   #3

vickic HB User
Re: Tailbone pain after Micro D L4/L5

Jill, my microdiscectomy was about a week before yours. I noticed that my tailbone area starting hurting me this weekend - not too severe - just enough to be annoying. I have also experienced moderate pain in both hips, soreness in my back, and occasional sciatic pain in my leg. None of the pain is severe, just annoying. I saw my neurosurgeon today, and he seems to think that all is okay. He told me that I should expect to feel weird things from time to time and that it will all eventually subside. He decided that everything was "fine" in about the 4 minutes that he saw me!

Old 01-17-2005, 06:37 PM   #4
(female)

ladybird988 HB Userladybird988 HB User

i had a microdisectomy on July 1st and still have the tailbone pain 6 mons later. My doctor said it was from inflammation and that it will go away eventually. He wanted me to take oral prednisone for it but I opted not to. He told me not to sit at all, nor recline, unless flat, as any pressure on that area just inflammes it worst. i am getting better little by little. i rarely have the stabbing pain now, but if I sit even 5 minutes, i hurt for a week, so I don't sit. He too said this was normal, though he thought it would rectify itself in 3 months and it's now 6. FYI - I had a compressed nerve with leg pain. I was never sure what is causing the tailbone pain - if it's inflammation, nerve related, muscle or what.

Old 01-17-2005, 07:22 PM   #5
(male)

avglenn HB User

I too had a micro-d in July last year. I have had consistent tailbone pain since along with low back pain that seems to get a bit better as time goes on. The tailbone gets me the worse, I use a ccoycx cushion when I sit that helps somewhat. My doctor also thinks its inflammation, and I am scheduled for cortisone shot using fluroscopy in a week. I am keeping my fingers crossed ! D

Old 01-18-2005, 03:24 AM   #6
(female)

alexcasper HB User

I had a micro d back in March of last year. I too had tailbone pain but it has completely gone away. I don't know what was causing it but wanted to give you some assurance that it seems to be part of the healing process. I am amazed at how long the healing process can take. I am just now 10 months after my surgery feeling pretty normal.

Take care,

Kim

Old 01-18-2005, 08:14 PM   #7
(female)

JILLfromWI HB User

Thanks everyone for the reassurance regarding the tailbone pain and that it seems to be a normal part of healing....

It has gotten really bad the last few weeks but I did sit for a few hours on a hard wood bench last week and now I am sure that did not help it at all.

Today my UPS shipment came for a TUSH CUSH that is a cushion that has the section taken out where the tailbone is and is slanted forward to put your back in better alignment. I tried it tonight in the recliner and my tailbone did hurt less.

The worse is getting up from a sitting position...I am almost always grabbing my low back as the tailbone pain is the worse for those first few minutes after getting up.

I am taking the cushion to work tomorrow and will let you know if it makes the day seem easier...(I have a desk job).

Take care from very cold and snowy Wisconsin!!!

JILL

Old 01-19-2005, 11:46 AM   #8
(female)

ladybird988 HB Userladybird988 HB User

Danag,

When you get that cortisone shot, would you post to let me know if it helped? Did your doctor prescribe oral prednisone at any point? Did you try it if so?

I found the oral prednisone to hurt my immune system so I opted out.

This is really hard to go without sitting this long. I just received a "perfect chair" - antigravity chair, and am excited to get into it as it eased my pain at the back store. They're mucho expensive (saved 500 on a refurbished one) but they work by taking the weight off the spine.

Someone else on here posted that you went 10 mons with tailbone pain? I'm afraid mine may take that long.

This is a real bummer!

Old 01-19-2005, 02:46 PM   #9
(male)

avglenn HB User

I have tried the oral prednisone before, prior to surgery . I took it once a few years ago and pain went away. I tried taking it again about this time last year, and it didnt work. Waiting to hear if my appointment is still a go for this Monday. It was previously denied for the injections, but I was told its now approved. The PM doc. said it would be a series of three, with 2 week intervals. I will post how things go..

Closed Thread