It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2005, 10:51 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

ltedeschi HB User
hardware removal?????

I had a two level fusion on Nov 1 2004 and went to doc again today I am almost 100% fused. Which is amazing. The problem is my pain had increased rather than decreased.
the doc seems to think I might have to have hadware removed.He did mri, xray and ct which showed everything was fine.Of course we will wait till 1005 fused for sure
Has anyone had this done? What can I expect?
Did it help? Please explain procedure hospital stay and recovery.
Thanks so much for all of your replies in advance
Lisa

Old 01-15-2005, 10:32 AM   #2
(male)

truckerman HB User
Re: hardware removal?????

Hello! It seems that you're healing real quickly, but before even thinking about removing any hardware you should wait the full 12 month time frame where one would expect to reach maxium medical improvemet. I've heard that some people improve with hardware removal, while others may worsen, and certainly you don't even want to think about it till 12 months.

I HAD l4-5 posterior fusion in Jan 2004 and through the month's its been real slow healing and X-ray just taken reveals that its difficult to ascertain absolute fusion. Doc doesn't recommend another surgery. Now what? Both docs say I'm permanantly totally disabled, and I'm waiting to see what happens.
Bye for now, Truckermann

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2005, 12:48 PM   #3

StarAngel3 HB User
Thumbs up Re: hardware removal?????

Hi Lisa,
I have been told they are never really sure if your 100% fused until they go in there and look, they can kind of tell with xrays, but they are never absolutely sure..I have also have a friend whose doctor said she was fused and three years later had to have the same area fused again, because here to find out she had never really fused entirely in the first place. When I was 11 weeks post lumbar fusion he said I was starting to fuse, but it would take as long as a year or longer to get a complete fusion.Of course I know everyone is different, and you could be a fast healer, and much younger, the list could go on..So how does he know that you are totally fused?..Just with xrays?..And If you are still having pain in my opinion, it is either the hardware or your not done healing because you still are early in the game with a fusion.And it does take a long time for the nerves to come back if they are going to...I hope yor feeling better real soon..Hugs.. ..StarAngel..

Old 01-15-2005, 01:39 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

ltedeschi HB User

He looked at ct, mri, and xray.
this is my third back surgery and so far I am fusing according to this doc. I would never let them take them out till probably one year anyway but with this pain I am unsure. Usually at this level of fusion you have a decrease in pain due to the stability in the back. I am just looking down the road as to what I might expect if this does become the outcome.
Thanks
Lisa

Old 01-15-2005, 02:27 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

My brother had his rods removed about twenty years later due to the cold. He moved to Florida, but they still got cold. He is now fine. He was fused for years when they removed the rods.

Every time that you cut on your body, it is invasive. I would leave well enough alone.

Old 01-15-2005, 02:46 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Quietcook; 07-16-2005 at 01:50 PM.

Old 01-15-2005, 03:28 PM   #7

StarAngel3 HB User
Smile Re: hardware removal?????

Wow Quietcook,
On a out patient basis, they are getting better and better with this spine surgery, aren't they?..I am glad your feeling better.. I still have lots of pain, but I think I will leave mine in, I don't think it is the hardware, I think it is nerve damage..StarAngel..

Old 01-15-2005, 07:42 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User

I had a fusion on 6/04 and have had lots of problems with my leg and hip since 2 months p/o. My doc thought the hardware might be the problem so I had surgery Wed for possible removal. When He got in there he said the hardware and everything around it looked perfect, but I had alot of stenosis at l5 that was causing the nerve to be "tight" as well as l3. Instead of hardware removal I had two laminectomies. The hardware removal would have been outpt to 24 hr observation. When I was on the floor after the surgery the nurse said that the hardware removal is a bit more painful than some docs say, but I suppose it depends on how much they remove of it. My doc would have removed it through a tube type laproscopic procedure, small incision with as little trauma to the tissue as possible. Needles to say I woke up still with my hardware but with the other procedures done. Good luck to you.
shelley

Old 01-18-2005, 07:33 PM   #9

StarAngel3 HB User
Smile Re: hardware removal?????

Hi Shelly,
I am glad they found out what was wrong wit you..I had my fusion almost two years ago, and I am still having loads of pain..I go to a PM doctor, now and he is just treating the symptoms for now..I hope your recovery is pain free..StarAngel

Old 01-19-2005, 02:56 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

ltedeschi HB User

Thanks for all of your replies.
I would love to leave the hardware in but at this time my pain as at least twice as bad as before the surgery.So it seems useless to have had it at all. I am on pain patches and norco 10/325 two every four hours just to survive.
I will definately wait awhile until I am sure it is fused.
My doc said quite a few people have problems with this.
I wish you all a better day today than yesterday.
Lisa

Old 01-19-2005, 04:51 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

mamakitkat HB User

Hi,
I'm new to the boards, but not to back problems. I just had my hardware removed on 12-14-04. My original two level fusion, laminectomy, was on 10-28-03. It stopped all the pain I was having. I had no back pain till after the surgery, only leg and hip pain. The back pain became worse as the year of recovery went on. All the xrays, ct's showed nothing loose,but one fusion was not complete. But low and behold when he went in it turned out that two screws were loose(my hubby had a field day with that one, lolol), Well I can tell you I feel better already !!! no hardware there now, put infuse in to help failed fusion fuse, but I can feel that back pain that was there before isn't there now. Of course everyone if very different, but in my case it was a big help so far. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Closed Thread