It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2005, 08:07 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User
Post Ice!!

My injections were cancelled due to that stupid spider bite, I used a hot water bottle to help the so called (boil) go away faster, instead, within a few minutes my upper leg was infected.
I did some research on the Brown recluse Spider who got me, and in big bold words, it said: DO NOT USE HEAT, IT WILL SPREAD THE POISON!
Duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh TOO LATE!!
Last night I began Ice, now it is getting better ALOT faster (along with the antibiotics.
So if in doubt, don't use heat, PLEASE
Stardust

Old 01-15-2005, 09:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jdlfmc HB User
Re: Ice!!

Stardust, Sorry you have had so much trouble with that spider bite, hopefully you will be able to have your procedure done soon.
We owned a lawn & tree service when we lived down there and hubby would bring them in in his clothes and when I'd throw them in the washer is how I got bit both times.
I can say I do not miss the insect in FL. we always had the spiders or fire ants and if that wasn't bad enough alligators and cougars not to even mention the dear snakes, no I don't miss the critters in the south.
Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2005, 10:05 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

I won't miss them either, as soon as I can talk hubby into getting out of here, FLA is not what people think.
A tourist has never came face to face with a Wolf Spider, (larger than a baseball) looking you in the eyes and runs faster than the speed of light, and you never have just one. Everytime the weather changes, [U]SOMETHING[/U] moves inside.
Stardust

Old 01-15-2005, 11:04 AM   #4

spondylo HB User

Don't forget the hurricanes, too, we had 3 this summer including a direct hit by Charley and some got punched by all 3. I wish I could talk my hubby into moving, but the winters are nice weather-wise.

We have know of several people healing themselves of Brown Recluse bite using activated charcoal and flaxseed poultices. The charcoal is not like cooking charcoal. You would get it from a health food store or pharmarcy.

Old 01-15-2005, 11:42 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

Yes, like the charcoal they use for a drug overdose, I know what you mean.

We made history last year with hurricanes, and the sad part is, most people don't know it, but all the money the president sends down here, doesn't cover food.
We lost everything for 2 weeks, even the deep freezer, no milk anywhere for our grandbaby. Red Cross brought us crackers and water twice a week, they said food is not considered a loss. Even the red cross could not get milk for the baby.
So everytime you all hear of all the money coming our way for a disaster relief, remember food and milk is not part of it.
A friend bought a generator (we couldn't, everything we had was in the deep freezer). and the government replaced all the money for the generator, gas to run it and the electic bill for that month. Plus they get to keep the generator, all that is covered. I called FEMA for food and it's not a covered item. ( go figure)
Stardust

Old 01-15-2005, 11:51 AM   #6

spondylo HB User

Yes, I know what you mean. We also were without electric, phone, a/c, etc. for most likely the same two weeks. Arcadia by any chance? or maybe Punta Gorda? We're in Arcadia.

We lost a lot, and you are right FEMA is a strange bird. We got no help at all. Others have a brand new mobile homes. I am glad at least it turned out to be a blessing for some. We have our lives. We rent, and I was actually here alone in our 30 year old mobile home when Charley came through. It was quite a faith-strengthening experience. Fortunatley none of the 30-foot pines and old oaks in our yard fell ON the mobile home, but the landscape has certainly changed.

Old 01-15-2005, 12:09 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

Saint Augustine & we were out of electric and everything for a bit over 2 weeks (did I mention the water was warm?) oh well, it was wet. I did call the electric company for a credit, but they said no, only the people who called in when the power was out got a credit on thier bill You have to have a corded phone to make a stupid phone call!!
YOU= Are truly blessed for those tree's to stand there ground like they did.
Stardust

Old 01-15-2005, 12:26 PM   #8

spondylo HB User

WOW, I don't think we even heard much about St. Augustine. Was it Charley or one of the others?

No, you don't understand, the trees did fall! Almost all of them. The fell around the house, they just didn't fall on it. One barely missed and nicked the carport, so you see, I am REALLY blessed!!

Hope your bite heals up. What kind of injection are you having?

Old 01-15-2005, 02:44 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

jdlfmc HB User

We had lived in Pt. Charlotte and still have 2 of our grandbabies there and believe me I know what your all talking about, we lived there when I believe it was Andrew hit the east coast and I remember all the crap from that, mot only with the devastation but then you have the price gauding(sp) the whole of it is awful.
Yea we moved north and now we're dealing with the devastation of this ice storm that went through, now matter whre you go your going to have something to contend with, but I can say I won't be dealing with the creepy crawlers and the rest of the wildlife.
People up here don't believe me when I tell them the stories about the gators in the yard and snakes comming in the house not to mention the cougars that lived in the lot next door.
When you live there you either love or hate it and all I can say isI'll leave it to those of you that love it and the tourist.I'll just bundle up and fight the cold.
Linda

Old 01-15-2005, 03:30 PM   #10

StarAngel3 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Ice!!

StarDust,
I am sorry about your spider bite, and not being able to get the injections! I hope your feeling better real soon, and thanks for the tip on the ice..StarAngel

Old 01-15-2005, 03:43 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

Monday is my ESI & Facet injections to take down some of the inflammation and then 2 weeks later is my surgery; TLIF & Posterior Lateral Fusion of S1 & L5.

Hi there!
You forgot to mention the gators in your pool in the mornings, hehehe, my youngest daughter and her son had pigmy rattlers in thier bedroom at thier trailor, That's ok, nobody believed me when I told them my school bus (ages ago) had a plow blade on the front of it, because it ran before the snow plow did. I've seen them on trains too! (in Michigan)

Which Hurricanes? hummmm let me see a-b-c-d-e-f-g-h-i-j-k-l-m-n-o-p
Actually 3 of them hit so hard and fast and no batteries left, I'm not sure which was which, couldn't tell them apart! The first one I do know, broke the sea wall downtown in the historic district and flooded pretty bad, I know this dumb town spent over $30,000 on sand to keep our beaches from eroding, right in the beginning of hurricane season and it ALL washed away. Darn, I could of ate, bought a generator, found milk, and moved out of here with the money they fed to the hurricanes!!

I guess I was blessed though, I didn't end up on the freeway still in Florida on the side of the road and out of gas. I just stayed home.
I love these evacuation signs, pretty good entertainment, you can look at one and see all the people in Florida trying to get out the same way all in the same day. You have to ask yourself, WHY? Where are we going? to a major traffic jam? You can only get out of Florida one way, UP!

I remember Andrew and a few others I went to the military base in Jacksonville and slept on a cement floor with so many people you couldn't move (never again).

Yes, I have a freind in Illinous across the bridge to St. Louis, all she heard was how the countrys oldest city was being destoyed and was in a state of emergency. The president came and got his picture taken holding a gallon of water and handing it to a kid. Funny, I never saw him or a gallon of water. we got tiny little bottles and not enough to go around, they could of used refrigerated trucks, considering my house was over 110 inside.

I can't go back up North though, My hubby is paralized on one side from being shot in vietnam and he acts and looks normal to everyone, but him and I know he has a metal plate in his head and if he gets cold, he gets migraines and they said if he falls on ice and hits his head he will die instantly. So I am stuck, unless I can get him one state further up.
Stardust

Old 01-16-2005, 06:40 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

jdlfmc HB User

I understand what you mean about your husband and am sorry, I know waht you mean about the plate and cold weather, I don't have a plate but had several hundred stiches in my head and the cold weather feels like someone stabbing a sword through the top of my head.
No we had a real god buisnes in Pt. Charltte but I was ready to leabe for a long time and then my Father became terminally ill and that set the motion, he passed a few days after are moving here though, I have never rergretted leaving FL. this just wouldn't have been my choice of places to move.
Well good luck all the way around with the inj. and syrgery and hopefully the end of the spider bites, by the way spiders are the hardest to kill but there is a granual you can put out that does kill them you might check in to that.I can't remeber the name but its out there.
Linda

Last edited by jdlfmc; 01-16-2005 at 06:41 AM.

Old 01-16-2005, 06:56 AM   #13
Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

Stardust, Snow plows on school buses! If the roads weren't plowed why didn't they just close the schools? How did the drivers get to the buses?
fly

Old 01-16-2005, 08:23 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jessie1 HB User

They don't close schools in Michigan just because the roads aren't plowed! The only reason they might close schools is because of ice or burst pipes!

Old 01-16-2005, 08:30 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

It depended on the amount of snow in the morning. To get home would be alot worse some days and from where I am from ,it's not a town, just a tiny village and we only had one snow plow and one school, the school was in the next county and we shared one school with 3 counties just to try to get enough students.
I recall some days driving to work ahead of the snowplow in the dark, I would laugh at myself and think" I was showing HIM where the road was".

Ever see the movie "Prancer" ? it was filmed in Three Oaks, Michigan where I am from, the school in the movie is actually our 1 room library. The town was all there was, divided by those railroad tracks in the movie, there were only a few scattered farms outside the village. The scene of the woods is Three Oaks, the one of the mansion is actually in Indiana, across the state line, took them from Sept-April to film that, they gave us the ornaments they used.
The church IS the real church there, the little girls Mother in the picture was my Avon lady, my son would skip school to go watch them film it and I never knew for a long time since they used so many of us locals,
But "Prancer returns" is NOT Three Oaks.
How did I get onto that ???
Anyway, if you see the movie, that's how tiny the village is. We didn't close the only school unless we HAD too.

Thank You, The spider bite is getting better, altho still painful and now the skin is dying and peeling off (Sorry if TMI). Anyway, the swelling is going down and no fever, so the injections tomorrow are a green light so far.
I read where people in Florida should buy those sticky fly catchers that hang from the ceiling, open them up and tack them to a few baseboards around the house and it will catch spiders. hummmmm
Stardust

Closed Thread