It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2005, 09:27 AM   #1
(female)

rowboat HB User
Non-surgical fusion?

Has anybody ever had fusion without surgery? My neurosurgeon said from my MRI, it appears that L5-S1 is fusing on its own, but could not tell me how long it might take. I can not find any information on this happening anywhere on the net. Can anybody help me?

Also, he had me start my aquatic therapy last week, and the next day I was in more pain than I had been before (not different, like maybe muscles I hadn't used in a while...same pain, just more severe). I'm supposed to go back this afternoon, but I'm in so much pain right now it's making me nauseous. Suggestions??

Thanks!

Becky

Old 01-17-2005, 01:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User
Re: Non-surgical fusion?

Wow I have only heard of maybe a fusion of a level being there since birth, but not happening on its own, did the disc just dissolve? Keep us posted and good luck.
shelley

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2005, 01:48 PM   #3
(female)

rowboat HB User

The disc was there a year ago, just severely herniated. Now it's gone. He said this is exactly what they want to see happen, but it doesn't make sense that I can't find any info on it. Every thing I see says surgery!!

Had a sneezing fit right before I went to aqua therapy today. OWWWW! The only exercise I could do without pain today was sit in the hot tub!

Thanks for the support!

Old 01-17-2005, 05:31 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

This is just a thought, but if, as people grow old, their discs lose fluid, get brittle, and fuse with age, isn't that the same thing? I would try to find something on aging and fusing. I know that this is what the doctor told us about my 100 year old grandmother when she fell, her discs were already fused by time.

But then, I may be wrong.

Old 01-17-2005, 05:39 PM   #5
(male)

greensky HB User

This does happen. I was told at the hospital that this was someting I could hope would happen in time.

Old 01-18-2005, 02:50 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

zoey1 HB User

There is a name of fusing on its own called ankalosing spondilitus very nature of the disease is if not treated agresively bones will fuse

Did your doc metion agressive rhumtoid arthitus? If this is the case then i highly recomend you seek out a good Rhumotoligist and get help with the progression of this and treatment.

Old 01-18-2005, 02:56 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

ltedeschi HB User

I have a cousin who needed a fusion and was too afraid. After about two years it somehow fused on its own.
I dont know the logistics but it does happen.
Too bad it doesnt happen more often. LOL

Old 01-18-2005, 05:30 AM   #8
(female)

rowboat HB User

I am only 33 years old, so I'm hoping it's not due to aging. It's good to hear that it has happened to others, I just wish they could tell me how long it might take. I also wish they could do something about the pain. I have 3 young daughters at home and I can't do much with them.

Thanks again for all your feedback. It's given me some ideas. I just want the pain to go away.

Closed Thread