It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2005, 12:49 PM   #1

toelle HB User
Angry Undecided about Electronic Nerve Stimulator

I had the electronic nerve stimulator installed last Wed. Although it does not get rid of all my pain, burning in my right butt and down the right leg, it has reduced the pain to where I am no longer taking any pain meds except a 1 mg. Xnax at night to sleep. They say I should'nt have it on more than 10 hours a day. I went in today for a bandage change and consult with the pain Dr. and they are saying that they are concerned because it's not covering all my pain. They keep reminding me it cost' $50,000. However if I dont get the permanant implant they have made it plain to me that they will no longer prescribe pain meds for me and I know my primary Dr. wont either. She seems to think the pain is partially caused by stress. Well duh, of course I'm stressed because of the pain! I want to go ahead with the final implant because what's the alternative? I think I'm doing well to only be taking 1mg. of Xnax at night to sleep. I do have some pain but nowhere near what it was before it was installed. Anybody what is your opinion? Has anyone else been in a similar situation. They ask me if I can now resume normal activity and then in the same breath they tell me I cant bend, twist, or lift anything heavy! Toelle

Old 01-17-2005, 01:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User
Re: Undecided about Electronic Nerve Stimulator

Before it was installed were you having to take pain meds? how much? If it was a significant amount and you are down to one xanax a day that sounds pretty good. What part of it makes you undecided? Did they tell you if you did not do this you were basically discharged from their care? Have you been under this doctors care for a long time? That does not seem fair to make you choose it . I do not know your surgical history, but is this your last and final option??? I knlw stress plays a big part and I am sorry for your pain, that is a big decision and it is probably hard to make. Take care
Shelley

Last edited by myspine; 01-17-2005 at 01:30 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2005, 01:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User
Wink Re: Undecided about Electronic Nerve Stimulator

I havent had one but I am getting a TENS unit this week. I don't know if the two have simillar affects. I am also curious how well these work for others. As for you decision...does the amount of pain that is helped by this stimulator a lot more than w/o it? My Dr. said w/ the TENS unit it wont take all the pain away and one day my body will probably get use to it and not work at all. Now I know yours is a lot different, since it's an inplant, but it might be worth it if you have already noticed a lot of help from it. By the way, are you on W. Comp? It sounds like maybe the Dr. is trying to get you to go back to work. Do you have a pain management Dr?

I hope you get the help you need,

Lorie

Last edited by lfoster21; 01-17-2005 at 01:46 PM.

Old 01-17-2005, 05:44 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

Toelle:

I am not sure how familiar you are with the side effects of cutting down on Xanax. It is a very incidious drug. It will trick you into feeling more pain than you already have when pain is an issue. I wish that I had never started the drug. At this point in my life, I would rather be an opiate addict.

I am not saying that you are not in pain, but if you try to cut down on Xanax while in pain, it intensifies the *idea* of pain. It is the strangest drug that I have ever taken. Pain is relayed to the brain via nerves. The brain has to interpret the pain. Xanax uses some of the same brain space.

If cutting down on Xanax worsens your pain level, then it could be muscle pain because one of the side effects of Xanax is the effect of muscle relaxation. This is why I wanted to stop taking it, I could not keep tight muscles in my abs, which lead to back pain, no matter how many exercises I did. The Xanax becomes a double edged sword.

Try taking more Xanax and see if it helps your pain level. If it does, then it is either the drug enticing you back, or muscle pain, or both. I have been fighting this battle for about twelve years. Each time I try to get off of Xanax, I am certain that I am in pain. Once it was ripped muscles from a dentist hitting a live nerve during a dental procedure, and then once it was shoulder surgery, and now it is my back. I am never sure if it is real pain, intensified pain, or just the Xanax tricking me.

I have spoken to more than a few doctors in regards to this phenomenom and they agree with it. Xanax will do anything to trick you into taking it forever. It is reputed to be harder to stop taking Xanax than to stop opiates.

You might want to mention this to your doctor when you talk to them about pain meds and the stimulator. Xanax is a huge factor in pain manangement and what the brain is telling the body.

Take care,

Old 08-03-2005, 05:39 AM   #5
(female)

Fancylady HB User

[QUOTE=injured betty]Toelle:

I am not sure how familiar you are with the side effects of cutting down on Xanax. It is a very incidious drug. It will trick you into feeling more pain than you already have when pain is an issue. I wish that I had never started the drug. At this point in my life, I would rather be an opiate addict.

I am not saying that you are not in pain, but if you try to cut down on Xanax while in pain, it intensifies the *idea* of pain. It is the strangest drug that I have ever taken. Pain is relayed to the brain via nerves. The brain has to interpret the pain. Xanax uses some of the same brain space.

If cutting down on Xanax worsens your pain level, then it could be muscle pain because one of the side effects of Xanax is the effect of muscle relaxation. This is why I wanted to stop taking it, I could not keep tight muscles in my abs, which lead to back pain, no matter how many exercises I did. The Xanax becomes a double edged sword.

Try taking more Xanax and see if it helps your pain level. If it does, then it is either the drug enticing you back, or muscle pain, or both. I have been fighting this battle for about twelve years. Each time I try to get off of Xanax, I am certain that I am in pain. Once it was ripped muscles from a dentist hitting a live nerve during a dental procedure, and then once it was shoulder surgery, and now it is my back. I am never sure if it is real pain, intensified pain, or just the Xanax tricking me.

I have spoken to more than a few doctors in regards to this phenomenom and they agree with it. Xanax will do anything to trick you into taking it forever. It is reputed to be harder to stop taking Xanax than to stop opiates.

You might want to mention this to your doctor when you talk to them about pain meds and the stimulator. Xanax is a huge factor in pain manangement and what the brain is telling the body.

Take care,
[/QUOTE]

Old 08-03-2005, 05:53 AM   #6
(female)

Fancylady HB User

Hi Toelle, There's a big difference between a Stimulator and the Tens Unit. The Tens
is near the surface but the stimulator goes anywhere you have pain that you describe to the pain dr. and the rep. who programs it. It's much better if thats what you need.
The reson you can't bend or twist is because the leads can become loose or slip out of place. Then it doesn't do you any good without more surgery. Scar tissue forms around them, then you can do more. Good luck Toelle

Last edited by Fancylady; 08-03-2005 at 05:55 AM.

Closed Thread